• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Silly things people say about skiers and boarders

tcharron

So I'm at the doctor's this morning for my annual checkup. I started telling him about skiing downhill in the woods. NOT X-C. For a man with much to say, he was befuddled and speechless. It never occurred to him that people actually DO that.

So he asks me, "Don't you hit trees?

My retort, "Yes, if you don't turn!"

:cool:

Ok, I give..

Why does billski go into his Dr office and start ranting about skiing downhill in the woods?

My first kneejerk response would be..

"Obv he HIT some of the trees"..

However, the question remains.. Why, exactly, go rant to your Dr about trees? :-D

Mildcat

Quite a few years ago the Midwest kept getting hammered with snow and we kept getting rain. I was whining about wanting snow here and a guy at work said," I bet you wish you were out in Ohio". So I replied," Yeah, that's where all of the best Mountains are." :roll:

RichH

My friend's first time skiing...

Him: "So can I just jump of the lift anywhere?"
Me: "..."
Him: "The snow is soft isn't it?"

I think 80% of the general publics perception of skiing is from a Silver Spoons, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or Who's the boss episode where people go skiing and the ski lodge is littered with people wearing furry boots drinking hot toddys and the occasional person with a broken leg..and of course ski instructors named Sven and Dieter who get with all the ladies..If they only knew most of us were powdersnobs, vert whores and mogul misfits..

Glenn

Some priceless comments in this thread.

A lot of people comment on the cold: "I'd never ski...it's too cold." They're then amazed when I explain heated boots, and modern gear that keeps you warm. "Do they really work?"

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Ok, I give..

Why does billski go into his Dr office and start ranting about skiing downhill in the woods?

However, the question remains.. Why, exactly, go rant to your Dr about trees? :-D

Passion for the sport. I don't believe there is a person I met that hasn't heard about skiing from me. It's a big part of my life. Every 6 months I go to the dentist and every 6 months, he asks me about skiing. No, I didn't crash into a tree and smash my teeth :)

icedtea

I had a friend the other day ask me,"Can I rent snow pants?"

tcharron

I think 80% of the general publics perception of skiing is from a Silver Spoons, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or Who's the boss episode where people go skiing and the ski lodge is littered with people wearing furry boots drinking hot toddys and the occasional person with a broken leg..and of course ski instructors named Sven and Dieter who get with all the ladies..If they only knew most of us were powdersnobs, vert whores and mogul misfits..

Wait a second. Your not NEARLY old enough to have watched those shows.......

WHO are you and WHERE did you put GSS? :-D

Wow, I feel silly. Nothing personal, but for some reason I always pictured you younger then that. :-D I think it was Jerrys old rants on you about being a kid. LOL

lol..I'll always be a kid..I look younger than my age..and still get carded a few times a week..and date college girls so it's all good..

On topic..I was showing the office manager my J-Hole pictures and seeing the slopes she gave me this look like I'm crazy..but I am a little crazy..

rjc1976

Here is an actual conversation I had with someone one time:

Him: So let me get this straight. You strap yourself to a piece of wood, and then you go down a big hill covered in snow?
Me: Well, it's not actually just wood. Only the core is wood, but essentially, you got the idea.
Him: WTF? You're crazy!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
An elderly couple at the Allentown airport were looking at my double skibag like there was an alien in it..

No, they thought you had a Stinger Missle Launcher.

handheld-stinger-missile.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ok, I give..

Rant? He wanted to know what kind of exercise I was getting in the winter. :daffy:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I have this very dramatic poster of the Vallugabahn. The photographer was in just the right spot. It makes the whole thing look ominous and impossible. When I tell people I skied it, they are simply speechless. I'm sure they think I'm lying. And no, I didn't take the runout to the end of the lip!