• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Bragging Rights

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
some of that stuff is pretty subjective, but i don't feel like discecting the more obvious glaring oversites. i think a subjective arguement could be made that wildcat has the best view. lowest up hill capacity per 2000 vertical feet would be MRG, that is an important bragging right.

highpeaksdrifter

riverc0il said:
some of that stuff is pretty subjective, but i don't feel like discecting the more obvious glaring oversites. i think a subjective arguement could be made that wildcat has the best view. lowest up hill capacity per 2000 vertical feet would be MRG, that is an important bragging right.

I keep hearing that about Wildcat. Anyone have any pictures to post?

awf170

highpeaksdrifter said:
riverc0il said:

Riverc0il has a bunch on his website. Ga2ski has some here:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

and heres the websites gallery:
http://www.skiwildcat.com/image_of_day.html?view=100

here are some good ones from there website:
show_image.html

show_image.html

show_image.html

show_image.html

edit: strange the image tags wont work for some reason.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Read closely: that article is dated....very dated. It lists SKI as still owning ski areas :roll: and brags about Sugarbush's $28 mill in improvements for "this season," which would have been circa 1995.

Sky

highpeaksdrifter said:

Sadly no...other than maybe the Cat archives may contain two photos from their site last year I use as wallpaper *keeps me going all non-season long*

Great view of Tuckerman's. You can even see the trail traced in white. Bluebird sky. *drool*

Just checked. No pics from last year...but here's a shot from lae Oct from their site:

http://www.skiwildcat.com/display_image.html?id=360

Maybe I can link my wallpaper shots tomorrow.

skibum1321

Haystack and Mt. Snow are no longer one area, so that would probably give Kmart the most lifts.

Another fact that points to how dated the article is: A new high-speed six-seater premiers this season at Stratton.

I'd say best grooming is subjective - IMHO MRG has the best grooming - almost none. Maybe they should change the category to most grooming.

I'd also like to nominate the Mall for biggest, baddest bump run and vote White Heat out. I can't take a bump run seriously that is half groomed.

freeheelwilly

thetrailboss said:
freeheelwilly said:
whiteface didn't host two winter olympics.

Yes it did. One in the 1930's and the 1980 games.

Wrong. Lake Placid hosted the Olympics in 1932 and 1980 but the Face was only involved in 1980. Not only was there no "Whiteface Ski Area" - at least as we know it- in 1932 (I think it was constructed in the late 50's) but, more importantly, there were no alpine skiing events in the '32 Olympics - only nordic.

Common misperception though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
freeheelwilly said:
thetrailboss said:
freeheelwilly said:
whiteface didn't host two winter olympics.

Yes it did. One in the 1930's and the 1980 games.

Wrong. Lake Placid hosted the Olympics in 1932 and 1980 but the Face was only involved in 1980. Not only was there no "Whiteface Ski Area" - at least as we know it- in 1932 (I think it was constructed in the late 50's) but, more importantly, there were no alpine skiing events in the '32 Olympics - only nordic.

Common misperception though.

Well, I guess it depends on how technical you want to be. :-? Whiteface claims HERE in broad terms that the area was involved in two...

Whiteface said:
True skiers and riders not only know the trail and lift networks, but they also immerse themselves in the background and history of a region. With two Olympics under our belt, all the winter sports, dating back to the turn of the 20th century, are played here.

Of course the other half of the story is Lake Placid - and what a story it is. The home of two legendary Olympic Winter Games continues to host the greatest winter events all season long.

freeheelwilly

Who's getting technical? Whiteface either hosted, or was a venue, for two winter olympic games or it was not. And it was not. Period. End of story.

Listen, ORDA, for obvious marketing reasons, is all too willing to blur the distinction between Lake Placid and Whiteface as much as possible. But Whiteface isn't even in Lake Placid or the Town of North Elba for that matter - it's in the Town of Wilmington. And again, Whiteface (the ski area) wasn't even in existence in 1932 and there were no alpine events in '32. That's not "getting technical" - that's just the truth. You want to buy into marketing disinformation - go right ahead. Look carefully at that quote that you produced from the Whiteface website:

"True skiers and riders not only know the trail and lift networks, but they also immerse themselves in the background and history of a region. With two Olympics under our belt, all the winter sports, dating back to the turn of the 20th century, are played here." (Emphasis added)

Notice they're careful to talk about the region - see? "All winter sports" are not played at Whiteface. Think about it. The majority are played elsewhere (10-15 miles away).

No hard feelings TB but please don't tell me I'm getting "technical" and then make a grumpy face :-? at me. Whiteface had no part to play in the 1932 Winter Olympics. None. Sorry to be so "technical".

thetrailboss

Staff member
freeheelwilly said:
Who's getting technical? Whiteface either hosted, or was a venue, for two winter olympic games or it was not. And it was not. Period. End of story.

Right...and I'm saying there is 'more than one way to make the claim.'

Listen, ORDA, for obvious marketing reasons, is all too willing to blur the distinction between Lake Placid and Whiteface as much as possible. But Whiteface isn't even in Lake Placid or the Town of North Elba for that matter - it's in the Town of Wilmington. And again, Whiteface (the ski area) wasn't even in existence in 1932 and there were no alpine events in '32.

This was what I was trying to ferret out...is WF blurring the line?

That's not "getting technical" - that's just the truth. You want to buy into marketing disinformation - go right ahead. Look carefully at that quote that you produced from the Whiteface website:

This again goes to the heart of my confusion and questioning...what is the truth?

No hard feelings TB but please don't tell me I'm getting "technical" and then make a grumpy face :-? at me. Whiteface had no part to play in the 1932 Winter Olympics. None. Sorry to be so "technical".

Read the post. I do not use "technical" in a negative way. The :-? , if you look at the Emoticons list, is a confused or questioning look. :wink: The :angry: or :evil: or :x are grumpy looks...I was not being grumpy to you at all...just trying to get down to the bottom of the story and what the deal was...what is wrong with that? Nothing at all IMHO :beer:

AdironRider

Hes right, everyone associates Whiteface with everything in Lake Placid, when really its 15 minutes away and two towns over.

Son of Drifter

Shortest Lift Lines

"Shortest Lift Lines: Pico Resort & Jay Peak, VT, Sugarloaf USA, ME. Pico because its double quads move people out of the base so quickly; Jay and Sugarloaf because they're so remote."

Whiteface get no mention here. What the F were they smoking. When all the lifts are running there are some that have ZERO (0) people in line. You literally ski through the maze and right onto a chair. The Little WF double and the double in the woods (goes from the end of Drapers up to Parkway I think it's chair I) are prime examples.

freeheelwilly

Re: Shortest Lift Lines

Son of Drifter said:
"Shortest Lift Lines: Pico Resort & Jay Peak, VT, Sugarloaf USA, ME. Pico because its double quads move people out of the base so quickly; Jay and Sugarloaf because they're so remote."

Whiteface get no mention here. What the F were they smoking. When all the lifts are running there are some that have ZERO (0) people in line. You literally ski through the maze and right onto a chair. The Little WF double and the double in the woods (goes from the end of Drapers up to Parkway I think it's chair I) are prime examples.

I thought the same thing SOD. The only mention of Whiteface in the article was just plain wrong.

No worries TB - I misunderstood your use of the emticon. My bad.

And HPD: I have no idea what you're talkin' about and can't believe that you would insinuate such a thing. :wink: I'm glad SOD broke your camera. :lol: :lol:

AdironRider

I rode Whiteface almost every single weekend last year and the longest line I EVER had to wait in was 5 minutes at the Gondola. World Cup Snowboaridng competiton, no lines. Holidays (except for the christmas holiday when I was home in NH), no lines. The two doubles that run right up from the Mid station lodge as well as that little double that runs up from the bottom of Drapers constantly run with not a soul on em. I think they actually shut that Drapers lift off halfway through last year cause noone was using it.