• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Challenge - 2007?

Greg

Staff member
Thoughts? Lots of goings on in the NE ski industry lately with the ASC sales, etc. Should make for some interesting challenges. What's the interest for this year? What ski areas would you like to see participate?

thetrailboss

Staff member
We have many good friends who are interested I imagine in doing this again. Some of the resorts that are always open to us have been:

MRG
Magic (the new Magic)
Sugarloaf
Sunday River
Sugarbush
Burke
Jay
Mount Snow
Crotched
Pats Peak

And probably some others that I failed to mention. I will say that late last fall I sent out invitations to some other resorts, and two of them are interested in doing it this year (Smuggs and Okemo). No luck with Gunstock or Bromley.

thebigo

I think Attitiash would also be an interesting challenge this year with the reconfigured abenaki quad and new ownership.

Maybe ragged depending on what happens with the place.

kickstand

I think Attitiash would also be an interesting challenge this year with the reconfigured abenaki quad and new ownership.

I didn't make it to Attitash this season (birth of twins, my surgery), but that's where I do most of my skiing. I know a new lift is going in because of the new homes, but are they working that in with the existing Abenaki quad? How does that setup look these days? I was assuming the new lift would end somwhere above the base of the Abenaki quad and you would ski down to it.

On a side note, I want to know what's going on with the golf course. Haven't heard anything concrete in about a year and a half....

millerm277

I'd like to see Hunter and Killington, as well as the previously mentioned ones.

Newpylong

Thew Abenaki lift at Attitash is just being extended down the hill...

I would like to see challenges from anyone who changed owners this year...

tcharron

I'd concur with all the 'new ownership' ski areas. Another idea may be to bring it one step up, and get some questions not only for the operators of the direct mountains, but the 'higher up' picture, say, directly from whoemever at Peak Resorts is responsible for the mountains in general.

Also, some specific questions on combo passes I believe would be appropriate, as that seems to be the 'wave of the future'. Questions on choice and flexibility moving forward.

MikeTrainor

Saddleback has not done one since 2004 and people here seem passionate about it. Saddleback is on my list for next year

snoseek

Saddleback has not done one since 2004 and people here seem passionate about it. Saddleback is on my list for next year

i second that. i dying to know how the plan will unfold there.

tcharron

Greg,

Would it be possible to have some threads with specific questions for specific areas before the challenge questions go out? Seems like besides the general questions, some areas people would like to ask specific questions about.

I wasn't here last year, so I have no idea what your typical format looks like or how it works, but just an idea.

snoseek

tenney, cannon, and saddleback. also curious about attitash.