• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski pack recommendation

awf170

Looking for a ski bag for next year for hiking up things like tux... doesnt need to be too big, just enough for a day trip. What do you guys like more the skis on either side or both of the together goin up at an angle. Would really like to get AT binding for my pocket rockets but without a job i most likely wont

and if there was already a thread about this just send me to it :D

bvibert

Staff member
This is the first thread that I remember seeing about a pack to carry skis. You may want to clarify that you're looking for a pack, not a bag. Ski bags are typically long bags you put you skis in so that you don't get the inside of your car dity. While apack would be something you wear on your shoulders to carry stuff on a trail.

I can't answer your question because I haven't done any BC yet. But I do have a Dakine Heli Pro that I bought for day hikes with the option of carrying skis in the future if/when I get into BC. I've hiked a few times in it now and I think its pretty comfortable with good storage space for a day trip. It utilizes a cross carry system for the skis that seems like it would work pretty well.

JimG.

Staff member
Awf,

Try Backcountry Access. They make a whole line of BC packs that incorporate ski/snowboard carry systems and hydration bladders into the pack design.
I have the BCA Stash pack. It's small (1100 cu in), lightweight (about 3.5 lbs), has a hydration bladder built into it (1 liter, the drinking tube is built into the pack strap), and has a diagonal ski carry system.

Regarding ski carry methods, I use the diagonal system for a few reasons. I think it's easier to fiddle with than a vertical "A-frame" system when you're exposed on a steep slope and have nowhere to sit to put your skis on. Also, I do most of my climbing in my AT boots so they're off my back.

When I have to hike and carry skis and boots on my back, I switch to a pack with the vertical "A-frame" system because it's more stable than the diagonal with my boots clicked into the bindings.

awf170

The Osprey Switch 40+5 or the wookey sundog look like the top canidates for me after looking at that, man they are expensive though... if anyone could find a good deal on either one these it would be awsome

And if anyone else has an idea feel free to still tell me, this look the best so far but i could change my mind

And thanks for the link snowspritect :D

i ussually check on that website just not that section...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i just snagged a dakine poacher pack from backcountry.com on clearance for just under $100. it has angled ski carry and rear pack entry which i thought was HUGE considering every time i put my pack down, i want to put it down front to the ground because that is easiest and quickest. dakine has another similar sized pack called the blade that has side access. the heli pro looks great for short trips and has rave reviews. but i wanted the extra space and bulk as i carry a decent amount of layers and gear with me.

do you have a hiking pack with compression steps? i used my kelty redwing this year A frame style which worked out okay. i really wanted the angle ski carry and back access, plus wanted a slightly bigger pack black hole style that utilized more vertical space rather than stretching out horizontally.

some folks online have had durability issues with dakine from what i have read, but for the price you really can't beat the product you get.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
heh, probably won't do the job. any pack with straps on the sides will work if you want to go a frame style. of course you'd want something with a sternum strap and waist belt. but as long as you have buckle straps on the sides of the pack you can carry skis a frame.

awf170

riverc0il said:
heh, probably won't do the job. any pack with straps on the sides will work if you want to go a frame style. of course you'd want something with a sternum strap and waist belt. but as long as you have buckle straps on the sides of the pack you can carry skis a frame.

Ya, thats what i thought you were talking about but wasnt sure... my dad has some old north face pack with those straps that i was going to use if i went up tux this year, but it isnt the great thing to use so i wanna get an actual ski pack

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i just snagged a dakine poacher pack from backcountry.com on clearance for just under $100.

The poacher is a neat looking pack isn't it? I snagged one last year on clearance at EMS for even cheaper than that, mostly because it looked cool and was really good deal. I'm ashamed to admit, however, that I've yet to use it for anything other than storing ski gear in the house.. :oops:

thetrailboss

Staff member
bvibert said:
Just wait until my wife finds out that you've been trying to temp me with EMS links!! :evil:

:lol:

Yeah, then she'd really be pissed with me :wink:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
one of those one the EMS site is way to small at only 540 size. the other is 1500 and that would be okay for some folks. for a lot of gear, that might be too small. all depends on preferences, but i'd rather have a little too much room than too little. this is wear buying a pack online can get tricky if you do not know exactly what you are looking for and what your needs are from experience. if you buy discount or clearance gear online, make sure it comes with a refund policy. a lot of retailers make clearance sales final.

awf170

riverc0il said:
one of those one the EMS site is way to small at only 540 size. the other is 1500 and that would be okay for some folks. for a lot of gear, that might be too small. all depends on preferences, but i'd rather have a little too much room than too little. this is wear buying a pack online can get tricky if you do not know exactly what you are looking for and what your needs are from experience. if you buy discount or clearance gear online, make sure it comes with a refund policy. a lot of retailers make clearance sales final.

what size do you have... i was looking for about 2000cc that seems good for day trips like tucks right?

bvibert

Staff member
The Dakine Poacher that Steve picked up is about 2300cu.in. That seems like it would be pretty good for full load of winter gear. I would think you'd be fine with a 2000cu.in. Some people manage with a smaller pack, as JimG mentioned he has an 1100cu.in. which is more like the size of the Dakine Heli-Pro I mentioned above. That seems a little small to me for an extended trek into the woods during the winter. I guess it all depends on how much stuff you'll bring. Its a good idea to goto a store or two to look at some different packs to get a feeling for what the different sizes are like, even if they're not the pack you're interested in.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I guess it all depends on how much stuff you'll bring.
you find out really quickly what works for you after an outting or two. it is amazing how many good decisions you made that first time out, but equally amazing how many things you didn't foresee.

awf170

steve i didnt even notice that was the pack you had... i was looking at this mornin and was like that is pretty sweet im probably going to get that :D