• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Still pretty good! It will be interesting to see who makes it to the first weekend in May!

Well, here are those who made it into May in the previous 8 seasons. You can look one of the top players to still be in the game for May turns.

Here was the status and percentage of May openings in previous 8 years:

Reached May 88%
Mont St-Sauveur QC : 7 (2007-2013). One day short of 100%

63%
Sugarloaf ME : 5 (2008-2011, 2013) – 5 in the last 6 years.
Sugarbush VT : 5 (2006-2009, 2011, 2013)
Killington VT : 5 (2006-2007, 2009, 2011, 2013)

50%
Jay Peak VT : 4 (2008-2011) – 4 straight years, but not last 2.

13%
Mont Ste-Anne QC : 1 (2006)
Bretton Woods NH : 1 (2006)
Wildcat NH : 1 (2007)
Miller QC : 1 (2011)
Saddleback ME : 1 (2011)

By State and Province:
Quebec : 77 (88%) – one day short of 100%
Vermont : 7 (88%)* – last season was the first time in at least 38 years that no ski area in VT made it to May.
Maine : 5 (63%)
New Hampshire : 2 (25%)

Source : Ski Mad World : Corn Deep in May – Eastern Closing Thread 2012-13 Part 6

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/corn-deep-in-may-eastern-closing-thread-2012-13-part-6/

yeggous

According to WCAX all of NH will be closed for the season as of Monday.

That is at least half true. Wildcat will be closing mid-week with the goal of reopening next weekend. They'll open on Monday and let the lift run late (past 4pm) so that they can say that they were the last to close in NH. Whether or not they reopen next weekend will be determined by the remaining snowpack and whether they think they'll get the revenue. Unfortunately history dictates that they will not reopen the weekend following Easter because they just assume nobody will show because nobody showed on Easter.

yeggous

That is a Vermont station. They don't want you to know skiing is available elsewhere. It's a Jedi trick. "This is not the state you are looking for."

ChicoKat

Right off the Wildcat website:

Wildcat Mountain will be open daily through Patriot's Day, Monday, April 21 . Wildcat will then be closed Tuesday, April 22 through Friday, April 25 and is scheduled to reopen for the weekend of Saturday, April 26 & Sunday, April 27, weather/conditions permitting

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Whether or not they reopen next weekend will be determined by the remaining snowpack and whether they think they'll get the revenue. Unfortunately history dictates that they will not reopen the weekend following Easter because they just assume nobody will show because nobody showed on Easter.
Wildcat has made it to May before and has closed after Easter plenty of time. Just look back by at previous Eastern Closing Threads on my blog.

VTKilarney

It's funny because they didn't even mention Wildcat as being open this coming weekend. Somebody at WCAX either needs a geography lesson or needs to fact check better.

yeggous

It's funny because they didn't even mention Wildcat as being open this coming weekend. Somebody at WCAX either needs a geography lesson or needs to fact check better.

I'll give 10:1 odds that it's because they just checked Ski NH and Peak Resorts pulled out a year or two ago to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

I doubt many Vermonters go to Wildcat, but if a Boston or southern NH media outlet made the same mistake, they may regret pulling out of Ski NH.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I doubt many Vermonters go to Wildcat, but if a Boston or southern NH media outlet made the same mistake, they may regret pulling out of Ski NH.

I was told that dropping out of Ski NH was a well thought out business decision by Peak Resorts (Attitash, Crotched, Wildcat in NH). Quite frankly, I don't know anyone whose major source of skiing conditions from the SkiNH website site.

VTKilarney

Quite frankly, I don't know anyone whose major source of skiing conditions from the SkiNH website site.

I agree with you about ski condition reports. But if the media is reporting that you are closed when you are really open, that can certainly result in a loss of business. They are just lucky that it was WCAX and not WBZ.