• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 12/27/2006 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, 12/27/2006: 6:55 pm - 10:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Hard pack, loose granular, SPARKS! :-o Flurries early, clear late. Temps near 30, calm.

Trip Report: This was the first official Wednesday meet-up for me. It's been tough looking up at the mountain the past two days while my daughter is in the Puffins program and not be able to ski. This evening was my chance. As I headed onto the lift, I noticed someone that matched loafer89's and his son's description, but they were heading for the lodge. I rode up and got to the sun deck shortly after 7 pm. Knowing bvibert would be later and being pretty sure it was loafer89 at the base, I only waited a few minutes as I was sure we'd all hook up later.

I took a few runs and it was tough to find a rhythm in the variable hard pack/LGR snow. On my third ride up I noticed Brian load a few chairs ahead of me and got a call from him on the ride up. We met at the top and soon loafer89, his son Warren (cool little kid) and loafer's newphew joined us. Turns out they were waiting on the deck at the base lodge. We should clarify for future meet-ups that the meeting spot is the sundeck on Nor'easter. Brian and I took a few runs together and later in the evening we got a chance to take several runs with loafer89.

Tricky skiing this evening, but I actually started having blast after my 4th or 5th run. There were some fun lines scattered around the mountain especially skier's left of Temptor and Nor'easter. I can tell Brian is starting to get into such terrain as well as he has been mentioning lately that he likes when they don't do an evening groom... ;) Anyway, lots of thin spots with dirt and rock mixed it. Interesting to see all the sparks generated by the edges of everyone's skis as they hit little pebbles and pieces of dirt (and sometimes legit rock) mixed in with the hard pack. There were still some areas of snow several feet deep that Brian and I pointed out to loafer. The mountain certainly has done good job with the limited snowmaking windows they've had. We saw some mountain ops activity around the snowguns and it's now cold enough so I'd imagine they are resurfacing as we speak.

A great Wednesday meet-up! :beer:

loafer89

It was nice to finally get the chance to meet you and Brian together as we have not had much luck due to the lousy winter weather so far this year. I was hoping that the mountain would look better and not worse than when I skied it two weeks ago, but it was still good skiing despite the warm weather and rain of the past few weeks. Warren was having fun skiing Temptor and the moguls made of snow, rocks and mud.

Hopefully we can get some cold weather and snowmaking to enjoy more open terrain (Gunbarrel) and to have some white colored snow to ski on, it that asking too much mother nature?????

Here's to a better 2007 skiing experience at Sundown.

Greg

Staff member
Here's to a better 2007 skiing experience at Sundown.

Agreed! I'm still encouraged though. I was happy to see that they are holding on with what they have despite the crappy weather. I'm anxious to see what they can do once they get several days of round-the-clock snowmaking. I think Sundown is emerging as one of the best little hills in southern New England in terms of snowmaking and rivals that of places like Butternut...

loafer89

I see in the Woodbury ski cam that they have started snowmaking tonight, I guess that Sundown is blowing snow as well right now. It's 31F here at home so it must be 1-2F colder on the mountain.

I hope to get out on the mountain again on friday night, it should be better with snowmaking at night. I am not going to venture far away until I can use my ASC pass again when the blackout ends next week.

bvibert

Staff member
Good night of skiing with good company. I'm sure they laid down a bunch of snow last night, I'll see how it looks when I'm there tonight.

Greg

Staff member
They made snow. The Little Joe bunny hill was much improved. Exhibition looked a lot better but I still saw a lot of brown up on Stinger and especially Temptor. I'm not sure how the rest of the mountain is.

I'm thinking about Friday or Saturday night; more likely the latter.

Grassi21

Cool! That camera thats great footage at night. Cool vid, but the soundtrack needs work. "Beavis and Butthead"? :blink: :lol:

I strongly disagree on the choice of music. My favorite shot is when B skis down to loafer and then the shot pans out to catch the base lodge looking all pretty. Besides being a nice shot of the base lodge, listen to the lyrics when the two of them are just standing there before the pan out happens.

Besides that, I pumped for some Sundown action tonight.

Greg

Staff member
I strongly disagree on the choice of music. My favorite shot is when B skis down to loafer and then the shot pans out to catch the base lodge looking all pretty.

Yeah. That cameraman did a fantastic job.... ;)

Grassi21

good camera footy. but the lyrics, don juans, casanovas, players...

bvibert

Staff member
I strongly disagree on the choice of music. My favorite shot is when B skis down to loafer and then the shot pans out to catch the base lodge looking all pretty. Besides being a nice shot of the base lodge, listen to the lyrics when the two of them are just standing there before the pan out happens.

That wasn't by accident. ;) Also, when the lyrics start with 'A couple of mean guys...' is right when Greg and Loafer are in the frame, then it goes on to call them Beavis and Butthead... :lol: :lol:

Glad someone appreciates my work... :roll:

Greg

Staff member
That wasn't by accident. ;) Also, when the lyrics start with 'A couple of mean guys...' is right when Greg and Loafer are in the frame, then it goes on to call them Beavis and Butthead... :lol: :lol:

Glad someone appreciates my work... :roll:

You're a cruel man. Just so you know - when I do videos I try to make you look as bad ass as possible. All cards are off the table now....

;)

bvibert

Staff member
You're a cruel man. Just so you know - when I do videos I try to make you look as bad ass as possible. All cards are off the table now....

;)

I toyed around with another song called White Trash. When I put it onto the video the lyrics of "White Trash" came on right as you were getting off the lift... I decided not to use that version... See I'm not that cruel... ;)

BTW, you still look bad-ass. I think the music is pretty bad-ass, except for the part where it calls you Beavis and Butthead... ;) :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I'd agree with that...looked like Greg was doing a nice job working the left side of the trail...

I felt good that night. Working on tightening up the stance and it looks like I made progress there. Thanks for the kind words. It's funny, all things being equal, I normally favor skier's left. The lights at Sundown usually cause skier's left to be more well-lit, but even during the day, I ski the left side more often.

White trash, eh? I probably qualify there in some respects... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I noticed that too. It'll help in the bumps.

That's the reason for it. The problem is once I get back in bumps, I'll probably flail around and widening out a bit... :roll: