• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/11/09

Greg

Staff member
Got on the hill at 5:15. Spent the extra $12 instead of waiting for the 6pm tickets. Dragged Greg away form grocery shopping. What kind of excuse is that? I will have none of that. Skied the same trails till after 9pm. On one run , patrol put some boo on the jump which I quickly removed. On another run, patrol was doing sled training and we almost killed them because they were in a blind spot. On our last run, patrol asked us, how many times we skied this trail. 181 replied, "there are other trails?". More talk ensued, they said you should have come to the bump contest. Eventually, it came out that 181 won the contest.

Great to eet some more AZ'ers. Everyone practice your exercises!

I'll be back in March for some more evening ripping.

:lol: I see you've come across some of Sundown's finest. It makes me nuts when they practice with that sled through the bumps. I understand the have to do it, but it's usually a major disaster. I have to say though that I've seen more and more patrollers skiing the bumps with some decent skill lately. Anyway, glad I got a chance to rip a couple runs with you Alan. Hope you guys had a good time again at our little hill. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Last night was not fun. I managed to get 4 runs in with the new boots. It was 3 runs too many. My feet were F'g killing me. After my last run I ripped the boots off on the deck becuase I could wait to get in the lodge. I will be dropping off the boots at the sop for more work this afternoon

Sorry to hear about the boot issues. I know there are a lot of Krypton fans here, but is it possible that it's not the right shape for your foot? Seems like you're sorta committed now though. I'm sure Peter will do his best to get them fitting right for you.

Madroch

Good night. Skied from 7:00 to last chair. Got many fine tips from 180, 181, Mondeo and Brian (back side pole plant, turn on the back side, extensio, etc). Just need to try and focus on one at a time-- had some trouble with that last night leading to many clusterf*ck runs (I was struggling a bit to start and went dowhnhill from there). Last run did manage to get turning on the top/backside for a string- quite a difference. One tip I should have no trouble mastering-- new shorter poles.

Enjoyed.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a serious case of mogul back this morning, and my legs are sore. It's almost like Wednesday was my first outing of the season... :eek:

It was great to ski with a bunch of people that night. I skied at least a little with Greg, Grassi, 2knees, o3jeff, 180, mondeo, 181, and madroch at some point throughout the afternoon/evening. I also saw Mr.Evil and MRGisevil in the lodge, but I didn't get a chance to ski with them. I enjoyed watching 180 and 181 ripping it up, especially considering that 181 was on some old cracked boots the he duct taped back together. I really appreciated the tips that I got from both of them. Between the tips and the good conditions I really felt like I made some good progress. It stayed warm enough after the sun went down that the conditions didn't really change through the night, though the last run felt like it had a bit of a crunch to it.

MR. evil

I enjoyed watching 180 and 181 ripping it up, especially considering that 181 was on some old cracked boots the he duct taped back together. I really appreciated the tips that I got from both of them. Between the tips and the good conditions I really felt like I made some good progress. It stayed warm enough after the sun went down that the conditions didn't really change through the night, though the last run felt like it had a bit of a crunch to it.

I am annoyed that my boot situation kept me from skiing with 180 & 181. I am very jelous of all you that were able to ski with them and get advise & tips from those 2 rippers! Lately I have felt like I have made some progress in the bumps and I was hoping some time with those two would shed some light on a few things. Oh well next time.

I am going to back to see Peter this weekend to get the boots worked out. He thinks I may need to go up a size based on some of the feedback I gave him.

Grassi21

I am annoyed that my boot situation kept me from skiing with 180 & 181. I am very jelous of all you that were able to ski with them and get advise & tips from those 2 rippers! Lately I have felt like I have made some progress in the bumps and I was hoping some time with those two would shed some light on a few things. Oh well next time.

I am going to back to see Peter this weekend to get the boots worked out. He thinks I may need to go up a size based on some of the feedback I gave him.

all that tells me is you need to get to hunter sometime this season. i have a free ticket to hunter and need to get there myself.

Grassi21

I have a serious case of mogul back this morning, and my legs are sore.

+1 Between Sunday and Wednesday I also have mogul back and sore legs. But I think part of my back pain is due to my wreck. Who saw it and how pathetic was it?

My ski shop believes they can fix my brake. They just need to a order a part form NH I think. The nice thing is they are throwing in a free tune. :) If the opportunity presents itself I might have to bust out the old Heads as a back-up ski.

Grassi21

How is sundown looking for this weekend? did they seed the bumps on gunbarrel yet?

I don't think Gunny will be seeded this weekend. I think we are still 1 - 1.5 weeks away. Greg can confirm. He has a countdown calendar on his desk at work, night stand, and in his kitchen at home.

hammer

Nice rippin' Chris. You're a helluva skier for someone only skiing a few years.
+1...I've only been at this for a few years as well and there's no way I could manage through the bumps as well as I saw him do in the video. I'm quite envious...

gmcunni

I don't think Gunny will be seeded this weekend. I think we are still 1 - 1.5 weeks away. Greg can confirm. He has a countdown calendar on his desk at work, night stand, and in his kitchen at home.

i'm surprised he doesn't have a sticky note in the forums with an electronic count down.

for some reason i think i recall hearing the bumps will be seeded 2/22 night so they should be ready for skiing in on Monday.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters...h=2&day=23&year=2009&hour=8&min=00&sec=&p0=98

2knees

i'm surprised he doesn't have a sticky note in the forums with an electronic count down.

for some reason i think i recall hearing the bumps will be seeded 2/22 night so they should be ready for skiing in on Monday.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters...h=2&day=23&year=2009&hour=8&min=00&sec=&p0=98

i heard he is going to be there to film the whole process overnight. and chris sullivan is letting him blow the horn on the new cat to signal the start of the gunny bump season.

Grassi21

+1...I've only been at this for a few years as well and there's no way I could manage through the bumps as well as I saw him do in the video. I'm quite envious...

thanks hammer. i have a long way to go but its all about the mileage. rarely do i stray from my route of nor easter > temptor > exhibition bumps. and i think 11 or my 14 days have been at sundown.

Grassi21

i heard he is going to be there to film the whole process overnight. and chris sullivan is letting him blow the horn on the new cat to signal the start of the gunny bump season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
But I think part of my back pain is due to my wreck. Who saw it and how pathetic was it?

I think I was the only on that saw it. Still trying to remember how the runaway ski got moving down the trail. You and your equipment were basically all stopped in one big pile.

As I understand it, that's the plan. I don't think the bumps will go below midstation by that Monday. I plan to be there on Friday the 27th. Arrival time depends on temp and conditions.

That would be sweet! :spread:

o3jeff

I have a serious case of mogul back this morning, and my legs are sore. It's almost like Wednesday was my first outing of the season... :eek:.

+1 Between Sunday and Wednesday I also have mogul back and sore legs. But I think part of my back pain is due to my wreck. Who saw it and how pathetic was it?

I'm still sore 2 days after and I was only there for 2 1/2 hours. I am planning on being at Sundown on Sat and Sun, hopefully my body can take it or I will be hitting some groomers.

Good to ski with everyone, hope I didn't slow you up too much! Was good to meet 180(I think I called him Dave, sorry about that) and thanks for the tip, now I just need to get out there and practice.

Grassi21

just watched that vid for the 10th time... during one of greg's runs towards the end you can see me hiking out of the woods after retrieving my run away ski.

as for the runway ski... i remember throwing down in disgust to attempt to repair it and watching it slip slide away.

bvibert

Staff member
just watched that vid for the 10th time... during one of greg's runs towards the end you can see me hiking out of the woods after retrieving my run away ski.

as for the runway ski... i remember throwing down in disgust to attempt to repair it and watching it slip slide away.

Yup, the last scene with Greg before the credits. I wish I had seen the events unfold, what I did see was pretty comical by itself.

powbmps

You guys are all looking good. I like 2knees charging into that line at :32.

Greg you are ripping it right after that too.

It was 52 up at Sunapee on that day and the bumps didn't soften up much at all.

Greg

Staff member
You guys are all looking good. I like 2knees charging into that line at :32.

Greg you are ripping it right after that too.

It was 52 up at Sunapee on that day and the bumps didn't soften up much at all.

:lol: Too bad that trail is, like 2knees says, "so flat, it's almost uphill..." :lol: