• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing App for calculating vertical feet

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Any good apps that do a good job with vertical feet? I know GPS is notoriously poor with vertical elevation, but if you know the spot you are (long / lat) and you have the contour map you can pretty accurately calculate vertical feet.

I'm thinking of a few "awards" for this year's AZ Summit, with one being potentially "most vertical feet skied".

We'd have to all be on the same page though with how we are recording it.

BenedictGomez

Doesnt leaving the GPS on all day really drain the smartphone's battery?

That's the only thing that has prevented me from using one of these "run tracking apps". Well, that and the fact I've heard from some folks the mph and vert are wildly inaccurate.

My guess is, it probably has more to do with how solid the smartphone's GPS is, rather than the app?

jimmywilson69

Wait, does it cost $$ to actually track you? It says it limits you to 2 hrs of tracking. That kinda sucks.

There was no charge to track last year. I see they changed it. It gives you stats like what types of runs you were on, how long you were standing still, riding lifts, Max speed, etc.

I'll probably pay the bucks as I use it alot. $10 for a year isn't that bad.

I use run tracker to plot my course when I run outside. i tried it skiing and there was elevation issues, so that's why i went with phresheez.

jimmywilson69

Doesnt leaving the GPS on all day really drain the smartphone's battery?

That's the only thing that has prevented me from using one of these "run tracking apps". Well, that and the fact I've heard from some folks the mph and vert are wildly inaccurate.

My guess is, it probably has more to do with how solid the smartphone's GPS is, rather than the app?

The battery does get wrecked by the gps, because it's commuicating with a satelite while you move.

I found that phreesheez was pretty accurate on the vertical and location. Many ski resorts are actually built into the program (even the small ones here in south central pa) and it knows what runs you are on and to what degree of difficulty they are rated.

Glenn

My wife and I have phresheez on our BlackBerry's. It's not as slick as the other platforms, but it works well. It does a great job tracking runs, speed, vertical, time waiting in line ect ect. We've also used it on some hikes and it works well for that. I've head some people have used it successfully for tracking ATV/dirtbike rides.

subdude

There's an app called "ski tracks" my buddy out in Breckinridge sent me a snapshot of it last week. Said it recorded him doing 73mph. Not sure how accurate that is but it looks like a cool app.

photo-1143.png

06337780.jpg

AdironRider

Ski tracks is the best one out there. Real GPS maps, Ive found the track lines and speed measurements to be pretty accurate. Vertical is usually within 100 vert accuracy for a given run you take.

Free, and no limits on how long itll work for you. Has a slick Ipod integration feature.

subdude

Ski tracks is the best one out there. Real GPS maps, Ive found the track lines and speed measurements to be pretty accurate. Vertical is usually within 100 vert accuracy for a given run you take.

Free, and no limits on how long itll work for you. Has a slick Ipod integration feature.

Nice, i'm going to DL it. I believe there a ski tracks app for the Droid as well.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
There's an app called "ski tracks" my buddy out in Breckinridge sent me a snapshot of it last week. Said it recorded him doing 73mph. Not sure how accurate that is but it looks like a cool app.

Is there no way to verify that or find if that's an error?

bigbob

You beat me. I used ski tracks yesterday at Loon. On a Verizon i phone 4S. Did seem to eat the battery, but made it for about 5 hours. Charge the phone while driving to the mnt. And it was $0.99

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thansk for the suggestion.. start tracking those vertical feet :)

We'll see who has teh most at the end of season and maybe give away something.... AZ schwag