• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing in slush

ERJ-145CA

I had never heard of structuring the bases until this thread but while I was putting the rub on wax on my skis I was feeling the bases and wondering why it was felt grooved instead of smooth. Apparently when I took my skis a couple of weeks ago to get them tuned the tech at the shop must have structured them for the wet, warm snow.

After seeing this thread tonight I googled "structuring ski bases" and that explained what I felt on my bases. The skis did seem a lot less grabby today at Belleayre than my other pair of skis did last week on a very warm day. After all this time I still learn new stuff about skiing every so often.

snowaterman

Slush Tips

I'm thinking skiing slush is easier on wider/rockered skis and I enjoy snowboarding in it as well. Many of the movement patterns remind me of skiing powder. More speed, adjust shaping/finish phase of turn to more modified C shaped and less round but I've had good luck with initiating turn with early weight change to uphill outside ski. Edge first then turn and with patience for letting the sidecut and ski flex and make the turn for you. Air turns, Porpoise turns Pivots on top of bumps, Explode into bumps for speed control while sucking it up are great fun/tactics. Keep your tips moving down the hill and adjust your stance by dorsi flexing ankles, functional ankle tension, so you don't get launched over the tips. With this weather we will get some good practice skiing the Slush. So much Funnnnn!

SkiFanE

One has to be very safe in slush, especially if it's sunny. A few "whoop whoops"s are required too. Can't wait for weekend.

drjeff

A fresh coat of wax

A good, solid technique with one centered over their skis

The more you can stay on edge and off a flat ski, the better (less surface area for the snow/water/ski base suction effect to work on)

Don't expect to be making technically perfect body position turns all the time, no matter what you do, you're going to get thrown around a bit every now and then

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The transitions are tricky, especially when you can't see it. IE you cruising along and then you hit a slushy spot and it's like hitting the brakes

Cornhead

The transitions are tricky, especially when you can't see it. IE you cruising along and then you hit a slushy spot and it's like hitting the brakes

I almost face planted at the base at Greek Peak last week. It was right after the sun set and I didn't pick up the gray color of the slush. I'm surprised I didn't double eject, that'd been fun. Spring skiing is the best, too bad it'll be so short lived this year.:sad:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Exactly ... yeah it's a real shame, I was looking at pics and I can't remember the day but Wachusett closed in April last year.

kingslug

I almost face planted at the base at Greek Peak last week. It was right after the sun set and I didn't pick up the gray color of the slush. I'm surprised I didn't double eject, that'd been fun. Spring skiing is the best, too bad it'll be so short lived this year.:sad:

I did at Hunter..bottom of Clairs at speed to get up the hill...bad one..slid for almost 200 feet half out of it, wind knocked out, almost into the rocks..not sure what happened but I think I caught the inside edge and it just launched me...and this was with my rocker skis..I have found they do not like staying flat..have to keep them moving...

snowmonster

I had never heard of structuring the bases until this thread but while I was putting the rub on wax on my skis I was feeling the bases and wondering why it was felt grooved instead of smooth. Apparently when I took my skis a couple of weeks ago to get them tuned the tech at the shop must have structured them for the wet, warm snow.

After seeing this thread tonight I googled "structuring ski bases" and that explained what I felt on my bases. The skis did seem a lot less grabby today at Belleayre than my other pair of skis did last week on a very warm day. After all this time I still learn new stuff about skiing every so often.

Structuring is one part of the ski tuner's art that I have to fully grasp although I do "attempt" to structure my bases. I used to use an imprint tool but have now shifted to sandpaper. For the spring, I move to a coarser structure with wider grooves. Does it work? I think so. I've minimized the grabbiness of skiing in the spring. However, I wonder if that's a function of having a soft wax on my base.

ScottySkis

I did at Hunter..bottom of Clairs at speed to get up the hill...bad one..slid for almost 200 feet half out of it, wind knocked out, almost into the rocks..not sure what happened but I think I caught the inside edge and it just launched me...and this was with my rocker skis..I have found they do not like staying flat..have to keep them moving...

That is always scary, but glad your okay.

Cornhead

I almost lost it at the base of the quad at Elk last weekend also. The "snow" was chopped up pretty good, and very heavy, my ski did not stay on top, kinda got submerged, luckily I just picked up my ski, and all was good, it was close though. Right in front of all those people too, would have been embarrassing.:oops: