• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

dlague

Manchester had Sugarbush, 2fer night skiing at Gunstock, and 2fer at wildcat/Attitash/Crotched

This is a private showing that they do every year that benefits Kristen's Gift, the Pediatric Oncology Fund for Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD). This show generally has several vouchers associated with it. We have attended this in the past but this year I did not like or need the vouchers from this show since we get M-F 2 fers for Sugarbush with RSNE, I night ski at Gunstock on Tuesday which is their 2 fer night and I will probably ski Wildcat as part of RSNE as well.

It is for a good cause but so is RSNE which supports CHaD overall!

Smellytele

This is a private showing that they do every year that benefits Kristen's Gift, the Pediatric Oncology Fund for Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD). This show generally has several vouchers associated with it. We have attended this in the past but this year I did not like or need the vouchers from this show since we get M-F 2 fers for Sugarbush with RSNE, I night ski at Gunstock on Tuesday which is their 2 fer night and I will probably ski Wildcat as part of RSNE as well.

It is for a good cause but so is RSNE which supports CHaD overall!

I went for the show instead because the sugarbush tickets are not 2 fers but straight up tickets so $20 bucks per. I will go to Gunstock on a Friday evening and the wildcat/Attitash/Crotched are good any day so I can pick and not be tied to a date where conditions may or not be optimal or I may not be feeling well or etc.

What is your commission from RSNE? :)

dlague

I went for the show instead because the sugarbush tickets are not 2 fers but straight up tickets so $20 bucks per. I will go to Gunstock on a Friday evening and the wildcat/Attitash/Crotched are good any day so I can pick and not be tied to a date where conditions may or not be optimal or I may not be feeling well or etc.

What is your commission from RSNE? :)

Haha! Don't work for them just believe in the card and the cause! It is one of the best deals out there - even if you use it once! We have used it for nine years and religiously followed the Saturday tour as a way to save. We have gotten to know the folks who run it and are good friends so we help them out!

I talk about it - because I know how well it works!

BTW, that show in Manchester is also for a great cause and worth going to! RSNE generally is involved in that event but the last two years it has been on the last day of the Boston Ski and Snowboard Show, unfortunately. My son attended it this year but left early because he got there at 2pm and it was not going to be done until 6:30 or 7 from what I understand. I heard intermission was very long.

mlkrgr

Nacski posted this year's schedule. Looks like a fair amount of trips to Stowe, Jay, Loon, and Sunday River all at $77 each early booking price from Woburn, Boston, or Braintree MA. See at www.nacski.com. Worth mentioning since as it is well below Stowe's window rate of $98, and even the Stowe Bypass/Online purchase rate of $84, and has your bus ride covered as well, which is a very good amount of savings over driving yourself or even having one other person in your car.

Zand

Never been to Ragged, so grabbed that $39 Groupon. Hoping for a nice dump to go check out their glades. Also, those bus trips are a tremendous deal. Anyone ever done a trip with them? If you consider Stowe, between gas and ticket it easily saves over $100. Are they reliable? I'd love to do one of those trips if they are.

IDK why I've never paid more attention to this thread in the past, but I would've saved a lot of money if I did. Between the Fox44 card, Wachusett pass perks (aka free Express Pass for Killington plus half off at places like Burke, Jay, etc), bus trips, and other deals, I hopefully won't have to spend more than $50 on a ticket this winter.

dlague

Never been to Ragged, so grabbed that $39 Groupon. Hoping for a nice dump to go check out their glades. Also, those bus trips are a tremendous deal. Anyone ever done a trip with them? If you consider Stowe, between gas and ticket it easily saves over $100. Are they reliable? I'd love to do one of those trips if they are.

IDK why I've never paid more attention to this thread in the past, but I would've saved a lot of money if I did. Between the Fox44 card, Wachusett pass perks (aka free Express Pass for Killington plus half off at places like Burke, Jay, etc), bus trips, and other deals, I hopefully won't have to spend more than $50 on a ticket this winter.

I find that many of the skiing day trips by bus are priced very well and since they do not stop for food and leave promptly after the skiing is done for the day - requires that you pack your own stuff and you are not sticking around long spending more money at the resort. So all round money saver. If you want to be a tour lead then you get free transportation and a free lift tickets. NACSKI is looking for 25 tour leads right now! That being said, you have to stick to a time schedule so if you like the après ski stuff - something to think about! You also lose the convenience of stopping for dinner on the way home, stopping at ski shops along the way, etc. I am not very punctual so it would not work well for me.

As far as all the deals you mention +1. My max looks like $45 at Sunday River on a 2 fer. Anything more than that, I will have to go to prepaid options which are all $40 or less.

JAM614

Home of the $15 lift ticket;
http://www.skiblackmountain.org/
No gimmicks just an honest $15 a day per person. Typically open only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday except vacation weeks. A lift ticket gets you access of about 1,300 of vertical and growing traill network. Same lattitude as Sunday River so snowfall is typically the same despite slightly lower in elevation. This is a great feeder mountain that deserves a look for cruising/family skiiing on a budget.
Located about 5 miles or so outside of beautiful downtown Rumford, Maine. haha

xwhaler

I'm going to be stopping here on my way up to the AZ Summitt in Feb---looking forward to checking Black out.
Have been perusing their FB page and looks like some cool glade clearing is being done up there. We drove through Rumford/Meixo every wknd on the way up to our seasonal rental in Rangeley/Oquossoc (Rte 17)
Always saw the lights on at Black and told myself I'll ski it someday.

Zand

I find that many of the skiing day trips by bus are priced very well and since they do not stop for food and leave promptly after the skiing is done for the day - requires that you pack your own stuff and you are not sticking around long spending more money at the resort. So all round money saver. If you want to be a tour lead then you get free transportation and a free lift tickets. NACSKI is looking for 25 tour leads right now! That being said, you have to stick to a time schedule so if you like the après ski stuff - something to think about! You also lose the convenience of stopping for dinner on the way home, stopping at ski shops along the way, etc. I am not very punctual so it would not work well for me.

As far as all the deals you mention +1. My max looks like $45 at Sunday River on a 2 fer. Anything more than that, I will have to go to prepaid options which are all $40 or less.

I enjoy apres ski as much as the next guy, but I definitely wouldn't mind skipping it to save $100. Packing some snacks for the ride doesn't phase me either. Usually when I drive up myself, I try to drive up and back with no stops so it wouldn't be much different (plus the 2 things I might stop for - gas and bathroom - won't be needed!).

I'm definitely looking at doing one of the Stowe trips with them. I have discounts to Jay plus a place to stay up there, Sunday River doesn't really interest me much, but I've been dying to get back to Stowe. Just can't afford it, but this will certainly make it affordable.

JAM614

I'm going to be stopping here on my way up to the AZ Summitt in Feb---looking forward to checking Black out.
Have been perusing their FB page and looks like some cool glade clearing is being done up there. We drove through Rumford/Meixo every wknd on the way up to our seasonal rental in Rangeley/Oquossoc (Rte 17)
Always saw the lights on at Black and told myself I'll ski it someday.

Yeah, check it out. Lots of new glades all by volunteer effort the last few years and some fun undeveloped and steep sidecountry. The Allagash is a nice long cruiser from the summit and the Saint John off the Allagash has been destumped for this upcoming season. Another new glade has been cut in the same area called Alley-Loop. Some of the best stuff is not on the trailmap which leaves a lttle to be desired. It's the place to go on a windy powder day once they have a good natural base since the lift rarely shut down due to wind hold and the target skiing audience prefers to stay on the groomed cruisers.

dlague

I enjoy apres ski as much as the next guy, but I definitely wouldn't mind skipping it to save $100. Packing some snacks for the ride doesn't phase me either. Usually when I drive up myself, I try to drive up and back with no stops so it wouldn't be much different (plus the 2 things I might stop for - gas and bathroom - won't be needed!).

I think it is a great way to go for sure! Definitely easier if you are generally the driver - this approach is a no brainer if you want to ski then get out of dodge.

I'm definitely looking at doing one of the Stowe trips with them. I have discounts to Jay plus a place to stay up there, Sunday River doesn't really interest me much, but I've been dying to get back to Stowe. Just can't afford it, but this will certainly make it affordable.

We bought the Vermont Ski 3 Pass to get a $40 day at Stowe. Interested in seeing what the buzz is all about. I skied it last when I was 19. I just hope people are not too stuffy!