• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing with a pack in the resort

DEVO

SKIQUATTRO asked what I carry in my pack in the thread I started reviewing my Rossi Scratch BC's and here is my response in that thread:

Well I mostly ski with my kids, so for my 7 yr old I carry:

mittens/gloves in case he needs to switch
his headsock in case he gets cold (or if he gets hot he can put in the pack).
snacks!

For me/my wife/daughter or anyone else:

tissues
extra glove liners
small first aid kit
extra pair of gloves
small multi tool
duct tape!!!!!!!
snacks!
sometimes a small thermos with hot chocolate for the kids during gondola rides

For just me I carry:

lightly tinted goggles for when the sun goes in and my normal goggles are too dark and my headsock in case I get cold
sometimes I fill the bladder with water
my seasons pass goes in the shoulder strap pocket
and I usually carry a digital camera.

Carrying a pack has saved me MANY MANY trips back and forth in and out of the lodge to get stuff for the kids, etc. I also will sometimes ski "off piste" at jay and the pack I have (Dakine Heli-pro) has a nice diagonal ski carry feature for when we hike out, and I can't tell you how many times we have been out somewhere and someone has needed a screwdriver/knife/duct tape/bandaid, etc, etc, etc.

I don't care if I am skiing groomers, trees, BC whatever, I won't ski without a pack again. It might sound heavy, but even with water in the bladder it's actually light and once it's on and I am skiing I don't even know it's there.

Anyone else ski with a pack when you are skiing in the resort? If so, how come and what do you carry?

bvibert

Staff member
SKIQUATTRO asked what I carry in my pack in the thread I started reviewing my Rossi Scratch BC's and here is my response in that thread:

Anyone else ski with a pack when you are skiing in the resort? If so, how come and what do you carry?

I've thought of it while at bigger places. I've always been more of a 'be prepared' kind of guy though. I don't like having to go back to the lodge for something, especially if I'm with a group. I'm more likely to just suffer...

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
My husband skis with a Patagonia "Orbit" pack. It's great because the strap goes over one shoulde and runs diagonally across your back, so you can shift the bag to the front when you sit on the chair. He mostly uses it to carry our lunch since we don't know where we'll be when we decide to eat. Not sure if they make the Orbit anymore, but they make one now called the Atom that looks a lot like it. It's a great bag.

Hawkshot99

I copied this from the other thread...
That's cause you have never had to ski with kids " I want my mittens" I want my gloves" "I'm thirsty" "I'm cold" "I'm hungry"

I wouldn't wear one either if that was the case or only skied in bounds and/or in the park. I think it is fairly irresponsible to ski anywhere OB without having a couple of basic tools and a first aid kit (and some basic knowledge of how to use it).

If I was skiing out west at a resort were it was deep powder, or any back country, and I needed a shovel, probe, beacon I would have a pack to hold it all plus other gear.

But at a eastern resort with all trails I find them to be a waste. If you have kids ok, but if it wont fit im my pockets, I personelly dont need it.

Grassi21

I'm not a pack guy, yet. I plan on breaking out my CamelBak Menace on Friday since I plan on skiing first to last chair wherever I am. Same with the Mt. Snow trip Pres. weekend. Three days of skiing with a group means lots and lots of H2O.

DEVO, nice list of things to stuff in one's pack. I never thought of bringing a multi-tool or duct tape but it makes sense if presented with unexpected repair jobs.

SKIQUATTRO

I agree, I'll throw in some extra socks, snacks, multitool, sunscreen in my Camelbak (Snowdawg) if I am somewhere large with multiple peaks like out in UT or even Killington and I cant get back to my main bag in the lodge..... but at a place like Pico???

koreshot

I generally don't ski with a backpack. Out west I only wear a backpack if I plan on doing some hiking. But then again, i don't really carry much with me. I sometimes have a small digital camera and a snack bar or two. I can totally see how as a parent I might want to ski with a backpack on. Rather than fill my pockets with loads of crap like extra clothes, water, food, etc..., why not just carry a low profile back pack?

DEVO

Rather than fill my pockets with loads of crap like extra clothes, water, food, etc..., why not just carry a low profile back pack?

exactly. I spent the first couple of years of skiing with kids just carrying stuff in my pockets or running into the lodge every so often. The Dakine pack I carry is really low profile (no problem sitting on a chairlift with it on) and carries everything we need to stay out all day.

SkiDork

I ski with a yellow backpack. I actually feel wierd if I don't have it on.

One of the main reasons I have it (besides carrying stuff) is identification. You can't miss a tall dude with a yellow backpack.

A few years back the lifties at K were trying to enforce a rule whereby you had to remove your backpack when riding the lift. Thankfully that died down after a few weeks.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I ski with a yellow backpack. I actually feel wierd if I don't have it on.

One of the main reasons I have it (besides carrying stuff) is identification. You can't miss a tall dude with a yellow backpack.

A few years back the lifties at K were trying to enforce a rule whereby you had to remove your backpack when riding the lift. Thankfully that died down after a few weeks.

Now for the million dollar question: Dork, do you actually carry anything in that pack?

Goblin84

ive been meaning to buy a pack for just such a thing. I really only have larger packs for extended outings. I dont think I really need to bring my 5200 ci pack for a day of skiing :p

any suggestions on good ones to get?

BeanoNYC

I could really use a pack as I always seem to have my pockets filled and I always seem to get hungry when I'm no where near my food. I'm concerned about riding the lift though. Andy...I think that's what my wife and I are getting for your buddy Colin for his birthday. He's been yapping about getting one. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about heading over to dicks tomorrow after work.

DEVO

ive been meaning to buy a pack for just such a thing. I really only have larger packs for extended outings. I dont think I really need to bring my 5200 ci pack for a day of skiing :p

any suggestions on good ones to get?

I have been really happy with my Dakine Heli-pro. It is the small version from last year. Lots of pockets to separate stuff, space for a bladder, diagonal ski carry (that tucks away when not in use), the bladder hose hides away in the left shoulder strap (also where I keep my season's pass), pocket on waist belt for a small digital camera, etc, etc.

bvibert

Staff member
I have been really happy with my Dakine Heli-pro. It is the small version from last year. Lots of pockets to separate stuff, space for a bladder, diagonal ski carry (that tucks away when not in use), the bladder hose hides away in the left shoulder strap (also where I keep my season's pass), pocket on waist belt for a small digital camera, etc, etc.

I have a Heli-Pro too, I haven't actually used it for skiing yet though. I have used it snow shoeing though. The pocket on the waist is very convenient for a small digital camera, however I found that it got too cold in there and the camera had trouble operating. I've never had a problem when I leave the camera in my jacket chest pocket. Just something to consider...

DEVO

Huh, I have used my camera all winter so far and have always kept it in the waist pocket. no problems freezing up so far.

bvibert

Staff member
Huh, I have used my camera all winter so far and have always kept it in the waist pocket. no problems freezing up so far.

My camera must be more sensitive then. When I had troubles it wasn't particularly cold out either. The little motor inside that moves the lens sounded like it was about to die when I tried to use it...

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I personally don't use a pack while on the EC and only use a small camelback while skiing the WEST and EUROPE. For BC adventure, I have my BCA Day Pack that covers my basis necessities for the day...

The best solution to the majority of people that have packs is to get snowboarding pants. They have big and thick pockets that allow you to fit a snack, camera, small toolkit, walet, etc. etc....