• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skis made by a snowboard company...

C-Rex

Lib Tech recently started making skis. I was wondering what the skiers thoughts are on this. Would you rock them? As a boarder I used to have a thing against boards made by ski companies. Still do a little, but I couldn't give you an actual sound reason. Does it go the other way?

I love how they call them NAS's. "Narrow-Ass Snowboards"

http://www.lib-tech.com/nas/

I've ridden a board with magne-traction edges and I gotta say, for hard packed/icy, new england style conditions, they grip like nothing else. I wonder if it'll catch on in the ski world. What do ya think?

buellski

Lib Tech recently started making skis. I was wondering what the skiers thoughts are on this. Would you rock them? As a boarder I used to have a thing against boards made by ski companies. Still do a little, but I couldn't give you an actual sound reason. Does it go the other way?

I love how they call them NAS's. "Narrow-Ass Snowboards"

http://www.lib-tech.com/nas/

I've ridden a board with magne-traction edges and I gotta say, for hard packed/icy, new england style conditions, they grip like nothing else. I wonder if it'll catch on in the ski world. What do ya think?

There was a guy at the Mt. Sunapee Ski Swap this fall selling these things. I believe he was from some shop down in Concord, NH. Anyway, he swears by them, but says he can't convince people they actually work. My first though when I saw them was "There's no way those edges could work." I'd love to demo a pair to see how they ski.

C-Rex

They definitely work. It does come at the expense of a little extra drag though. So they don't accelerate as fast but the grip is unbelievable.

AngryHugo

Website
www.facebook.com
Magne-Traction may be a tough sell to skiers, but it definitely works on boards. Time will tell....

As for other snowboard companies making skis, NeverSummer has been making skis for other companies in their factory for the past few years: Icelantic, Fat-ypus, High Society, and Rocky Mountain Underground.

bdfreetuna

I have no bias against snowboard brands... I wear a Burton jacket ...

But I am (unofficial) team Rossignol for life .... unless they start making shitty skis for some reason but I dont ever see that happening

Tooth

The NAS with magna traction are the best. Magna traction on snowboards tears it up. Jones uses it on all his stuff. Many of my friends swear by the NAS. Until you try it and hit ice you wont get it.

Talisman

With skis getting wider magna traction to improve edge hold on ice makes sense. I rode a lift in MT recently with a skier (ex-boarder in fact) who had super wide skis with a type of magna traction edge made by a small WA snowboard mfg that he said were the bomb.

Main line ski mfg or snowboard mfg, if they are making a quality ski I want to try it and consider buying. I am not a life long member of any "ski team", but there are a few ski companies who I won't buy their product again because they didn't stand behind what they made.

Glenn

That's pretty interesting. I also noticed they list their widths in CM vs MM. Not that it's hard to figure out...just a different way of doing things.

nashuaskibum

I've been wanting to demo a pair of them for awhile now. If I were to get them cheap enough I'd probably just bite the bullet and buy them demo'ed or not. But I think they've been making them for a few years now, I know I first saw them at a shop (Now out of business) down in Southern NH, and that was 2-3 seasons ago.

BMac

Website
apod.nasa.gov
I've got a buddy on Surface skis and he loves them and rips on them. 2nd day on them though and he had the edge blow out a little. They offered to replace them but it would take over a month and cost a few dollars shipping so he just hammered it back into place and it has stuck. Anecdotal story but I'm not sure how much I would trust them in the coming years.

KD7000

I think the Lib Tech skis have been out since 2004 or so... Were I in the market for skis of that size/ application/ cost, I'd definitely give them a try.

I love Mervin Mfg stuff. I bought a Lib Tech board last season... the magne-traction edges may work well or they might just be marketing hype, but it is by far the most fun feeling snowboard I've ever been on.

C-Rex

I think the Lib Tech skis have been out since 2004 or so... Were I in the market for skis of that size/ application/ cost, I'd definitely give them a try.

I love Mervin Mfg stuff. I bought a Lib Tech board last season... the magne-traction edges may work well or they might just be marketing hype, but it is by far the most fun feeling snowboard I've ever been on.

+1 Guys like Travis Rice don't ride them because they suck. I've wanted a TRS or Rice pro model for a couple years now.

And who can't appreciate a board called the Box Scratcher?

neil

As a snowboarder who spent 2 seasons on a magnetraction board I'm not fully sold on it to be honest. I think some of it is mental. Can't really say I've noticed a difference on my non-magnetraction board.

ctdubl07

So bummed Fionna isn’t a fan of magma traction but I swear by it. Huge fan of Rossi boards, ridden them forever. (riding the “One LF” now, outstanding board) Rossi uses same licensed side cut tech so I’d love to hear your review of the LT skis if they do use same.