• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spruce Hill, MA, 03/11/2007

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Spruce Hill, MA

Date Hiked: 03/11/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Busby Trail

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Loose granular, wet granular, crusted snow, ice

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes (crampons/Stablicers will be needed on the summit ridge pretty soon due to the ice, I was able to go around it for now)

I find the whole 'Spruce' name a bit confusing in the Hoosac region of Western Massachusetts. Within just a few miles, there is a Spruce Mountain and two Spruce Hills. As a result, when I saw references to 'Spruce Hill,' I figured they were in regard to the smaller Spruce Hill a few miles to the east of my destination in this hike.

The weather forecasts I had seen said 'mostly sunny.' During the hike, I would say there was maybe a minute or two in which the sun was shining on me. The rest of the time there was heavy cloud cover and even the occasional snow flurry.

The beginning of the Busby Trail was broken by cross country skiers (and earlier, prior to the recent snow/rain, snowshoers and cross country skiers). Approaching the actual vertical of the hike, the recent tracks ended, leaving only the vague trace of someone snowshoeing to the summit.

The hike itself is rather gradual with the exception of the last ascent to the top of the ridge. The views from the summit stretch north into Vermont, west into New York, south toward I-90, and east into Franklin County.

sprucehilltrail-2007-0311a.jpg