• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 2/25/2012

emmaurice2

Area Skied: Stowe

Date: 2-25-12

Conditions: Non-stop powder

Not just my best day of the season, but best so far in my skiing history. Traffic up 108 was slow so didn't get to the mountain until 8am. Parked 2 rows away from Midway lodge, no line for tickets, booted up, on the Gondola by 8:40 ish with almost no wait. The quad was on windhold until about 9:15.

The winds were howling up top with near-zero visibility. Fresh tracks were easy to come by. It was snowing so hard that almost all tracks got filled in again. Took a few very short trips into the low-angled glades (cathedral and birch?) My first time ever skiing through waist-deep snow (wind had really piled it up in places). Was surprised how well my skis handled the deeper powder.

Started to get really busy around 10:30, but the single lines were moving quickly. Lookout Double virtually empty.

Left the lodge around 3:30. Still snowing just as hard.

Must have twisted my right knee during one of my falls, it was really starting to hurt. Got back to the hotel, and checked to see if it was swollen, it wasn't. Iced it and elevated and had no problems walking around Burlington. Still, I might have to bag my plans to ski tommorow.

Despite this, awesome, awesome, awesome day.

Tin

Leaving for Stowe in a few hours. Glad to see they opened the Fourrunner. Possibly 40" by tomorrow morning. Hope the knee is better.

snowmonster

I echo this report. I was there today. Deep. Amazing. Epic.

Left the mountain at 430 and it was still coming down hard. I did not want to leave. Hope your knee feels better.

To those of you skiing tomorrow, get there early and rip it up. This is what we've been waiting for.

keyser soze

Area Skied: Stowe

Date: 2-25-12

Conditions: Non-stop powder

My first time ever skiing through waist-deep snow (wind had really piled it up in places). Was surprised how well my skis handled the deeper powder.

Despite this, awesome, awesome, awesome day.

SOunds like a blast. What skis were you on??

crank

I was at Stowe yesterday too. Awesome powder day! It snowed at least an inch and hour at the base all day long and more up higher. We skied trees from the start and our first ride up the gondola was around 8:30. Top of shin to knee deep and skied some stuff later on that was easily thigh deep. I drove home last night due to some obligations have a couple of friends skiing up there today. It was still puking when I left at 6PM yesterday.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Damn, there was maybe 6" at Cannon yesterday. Was really kind of disappointing.

emmaurice2

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I got up early, knee was a little stuff, not too painful, but decided it would be unwise to risk skiing again. Don't want to be out for the rest of the season because of a bad choice.

Glad you all got to enjoy the long-overdue storm.

Wa-Loaf...6" is better than nothing? I know how you feel though, there have been many times when I've read trip reports and thought, "Why didn't I ski there," or more often the case, "Why did I have to have a project due on a powder day?"

wa-loaf

TWa-Loaf...6" is better than nothing? I know how you feel though, there have been many times when I've read trip reports and thought, "Why didn't I ski there," or more often the case, "Why did I have to have a project due on a powder day?"

Wasn't that bad. Hiked over to Mittersill and it was good:

430171_3133613792846_1639840993_2610505_890569125_n.jpg

massbmx

How was Mitersil? I wanted to venture over but based on what I saw on the upper mtn glades, and not knowing Mitersil too well I decided to stay away. 6" was still a blast, Cannonball held snow so well I lapped it all morning.