• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Thread

WoodCore

I’ve mention this earlier, but the new learning area doesn’t seem like a very safe area for beginners. The no poling route from ursa to the main base takes you through that area. It wasn’t very busy this week and the combination of people/kids between the carpets and skiers moving through was a mess every time I was there. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable standing there with a child for any length of time.

If I remember correctly, the ACT 250 permit application included a new cross over trail above the cub carpet but for some reason it was not constructed.

Mailman

I’ve mention this earlier, but the new learning area doesn’t seem like a very safe area for beginners. The no poling route from ursa to the main base takes you through that area. It wasn’t very busy this week and the combination of people/kids between the carpets and skiers moving through was a mess every time I was there. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable standing there with a child for any length of time.

View attachment 61305View attachment 61306View attachment 61307View attachment 61308
I don’t get why they felt the need to regrade this area for more beginner terrain when it’s already the most congested part of the mountain. There’s so much room towards Tamarack - surely that would have been a safer, less congested area to funnel beginners to.

Zand

Managed to get out for a few hours yesterday. Very light crowds, everything was a ski on even with the Gondola on wind hold. Nice spring snow all over.

PXL_20240227_201401468.jpg
Woods are still hanging on. This is Diamond in the Rough. Mostly good coverage just watch out for sudden unfrozen creek crossings and random bare spots. Might be moot after today anyway.

PXL_20240227_202854491.jpg
In a land of flat groomers, Ursa liftline is always a hoot. Even better when some lady who's probably never skied anywhere else but Stratton yelled down from the chair "why would you ski that... it's all rocks!" even though I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 exposed rocks the entire way down.

PXL_20240227_204026372.jpg
I thought people were saying Stratton has been more liberal with trail openings this year but this (Upper Downeaster) was roped! Is that tiny little bare spot too dangerous? Who knows.

I want to like Stratton but I just can never get myself to really do it. There are some fun woods but other than an ungroomed Liftline (which had no bumps at all) everything was flat as a pancake. I really wish Vail bought this place and Mt Snow was on Ikon instead, I really feel like Stratton runs like a Vail mountain with a Vail clientele whereas Mt Snow used to at least give the natural snow and bumps a chance on a decent chunk of the terrain. I'm also pretty sure that in the handful of times I've been to Stratton I've heard more discussions about investment portfolios and equity firms and prestigious private schools than every other day that I've skied anywhere else combined lol. At least no one gave me the "powder skiing is dangerous" chat like last time I was there.

Alright alright...most of that was (kind of) in jest and they really do an excellent job of catering to their crowd, I just like ragging on it 😁

ghughes20

Yesterday was decent early. Turned slushy around noon. The liquid snow started falling around 4p and came down until midnight. I didn’t bother getting out today. Warm and sunny early.

Off to Utah tomorrow, back in VT in two weeks. Hopefully, things recover by then.

ghughes20

Managed to get out for a few hours yesterday. Very light crowds, everything was a ski on even with the Gondola on wind hold. Nice spring snow all over.

View attachment 61376
Woods are still hanging on. This is Diamond in the Rough. Mostly good coverage just watch out for sudden unfrozen creek crossings and random bare spots. Might be moot after today anyway.

View attachment 61377
In a land of flat groomers, Ursa liftline is always a hoot. Even better when some lady who's probably never skied anywhere else but Stratton yelled down from the chair "why would you ski that... it's all rocks!" even though I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 exposed rocks the entire way down.

View attachment 61378
I thought people were saying Stratton has been more liberal with trail openings this year but this (Upper Downeaster) was roped! Is that tiny little bare spot too dangerous? Who knows.

I want to like Stratton but I just can never get myself to really do it. There are some fun woods but other than an ungroomed Liftline (which had no bumps at all) everything was flat as a pancake. I really wish Vail bought this place and Mt Snow was on Ikon instead, I really feel like Stratton runs like a Vail mountain with a Vail clientele whereas Mt Snow used to at least give the natural snow and bumps a chance on a decent chunk of the terrain. I'm also pretty sure that in the handful of times I've been to Stratton I've heard more discussions about investment portfolios and equity firms and prestigious private schools than every other day that I've skied anywhere else combined lol. At least no one gave me the "powder skiing is dangerous" chat like last time I was there.

Alright alright...most of that was (kind of) in jest and they really do an excellent job of catering to their crowd, I just like ragging on it 😁
Weird about Upper Downeaster. It was open yesterday. After the mid week rain/freeze cycle, they had groomed everying for Saturday.

ColdRain&Snow

I don’t get why they felt the need to regrade this area for more beginner terrain when it’s already the most congested part of the mountain. There’s so much room towards Tamarack - surely that would have been a safer, less congested area to funnel beginners to.

This must not be long term, maybe the tamarack replacement will happen soon, a lift there to the summit likely makes the beginner area avoidable unless you go to the lodge.

I’ve noticed parents with kids taking that new short carpet and walking across the trail to the longer one. I wouldn’t do that there.

NYDB

there is no snow in the forecast until Sunday night.

Stratton does this all the time and it's such bullshit. it's going to rain 2 inches and they post a snow graphic. The mountains should try to be fact based in their weather reporting.

1000009764.jpg

Mailman

Stratton does this all the time and it's such bullshit. it's going to rain 2 inches and they post a snow graphic. The mountains should try to be fact based in their weather reporting.

View attachment 61499
OpenSnow is also showing a rain / snow mix with a snow level of 4500 feet. The forecast has been jumping around a bit given how close the forecast temp is to freezing and how close the snow level is to Stratton’s summit.

The forecast on Stratton’s site has now cut over to all rain for Thursday, btw. The forecast in their website is just pulled from another source and that’s what shows up. I guess you could argue they should use a different source, but they’re not manipulating it.

ColdRain&Snow

This sun thru tues looks cold here. I’m curious how this month plays out for snowmaking. Some places may give up, but I think Stratton will make snow when they can, and complement any natural snow.

KustyTheKlown

View attachment 61499

this mornings new england open snow did mention a possibilty of snow in southern new england on thursday night

what i found more surprising was that dot gov puts sugarbush in the snow starting on saturday night

Zermatt

This sun thru tues looks cold here. I’m curious how this month plays out for snowmaking. Some places may give up, but I think Stratton will make snow when they can, and complement any natural snow.
By Sunday afternoon there were so many places that were at their end and so much water in the snowpack with no obvious caches of snow to push around. Without snow or snowmaking it will be an early end to the season.

ColdRain&Snow

I’m going to Stratton next tues/weds, and it initially looked like sugarbush would get a lot more snow so I was thinking about weds there. Now it’s looking like the forecasts are lowering predictions, so I’ll decide last minute.

So weds is either SB with any new natural snow, or Stratton with less new snow and a couple days snowmaking. Stratton says there gonna keep making snow when they can.

DAILY MESSAGE

3/8 6AM Did someone say fun in the sun! Today you’ll be skiing and riding down 47 open trails that were all smoothed out this morning. Alongside, 7 lifts are set to spin at 9AM, please note that Snow Bowl Express will not be spinning today. We are just waiting on colder temperatures to come back, because once they do so will snowmaking! But in the meantime It’s going to be nice and sunny today so make sure to get the sunglasses and the sunscreen out! I’ll see ya out there!

ColdRain&Snow

Days 20&21 yesterday and today. Tues was solid all day on the upper mountain, today was very mushy by noonish. Upper and lower spruce were great both days. Saw some racers today’s.

IMG_4455.jpegIMG_4456.jpegIMG_4456.jpegIMG_4457.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

NYDB

Total bullshit again with the forecast. Posting the snow graphic for Sunday is deliberate Bullshit. no forecast that I have seen says it’s supposed to snow Sunday.

This is a base area forecast by the way.

IMG_0115.png