• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Thread

ColdRain&Snow

Epic day today. Sunny, not too cold, low winds, plenty of powder to be found.

The parking was a clusterf*ck. Tried to get to sun bowl, lot 1 full early and lot 2 was still being plowed at 10am. Cars backed up from lot 1 to sun bowl, which of course was full by the time we got there. Dumped our gear and went back to lot 2, which opened when the sunbowl closed. No lot 2 bus to sun bowl, so went to main base and caught bus back to sun bowl. :rolleyes:

We got on the sunrise lift before 11. Bumps everywhere. Skied through to the end. Got in that woods area between work road and meadow, and then got into west pilot. Plenty of untracked snow. Beautiful day.

ghughes20

The parking was a clusterf*ck. Tried to get to sun bowl, lot 1 full early and lot 2 was still being plowed at 10am. Cars backed up from lot 1 to sun bowl, which of course was full by the time we got there. Dumped our gear and went back to lot 2, which opened when the sunbowl closed. No lot 2 bus to sun bowl, so went to main base and caught bus back to sun bowl. :rolleyes:

We got on the sunrise lift before 11. Bumps everywhere. Skied through to the end. Got in that woods area between work road and meadow, and then got into west pilot. Plenty of untracked snow. Beautiful day.
Sucks about the parking. There was a lot of snow to move, not surprised it took so long to get lot 2 open. Glad you got a solid afternoon in. So much snow still in the trees. Tomorrow should be great too. Too bad I head back home. Hope you can get some tomorrow.

Zermatt

Sucks about the parking. There was a lot of snow to move, not surprised it took so long to get lot 2 open. Glad you got a solid afternoon in. So much snow still in the trees. Tomorrow should be great too. Too bad I head back home. Hope you can get some tomorrow.
Lot 2 was closed Saturday all day. They had all day to move snow and all night. They also put Shooting Star away for the season and only fired it up Sunday when they realized how many tickets they sold. My car got stuck the day before so we ended up getting to the mountain late. After getting stuck in the line for parking my wife gave up and just dropped us off. Mountain was bumped out by 1030 but still soft and plenty of snow to be found. My legs were shot from Saturday so would have liked at least a few cruisers.

No idea why the lots were so full Sunday but the mountain was generally empty with almost no lift lines. Lodges were packed too. My theory is that if instead of taking 3 minutes to bomb a run it takes 6 or more enjoying the powder that changes the entire dynamic with lift capacity.

Heard Okemo had major issues Sunday getting the mountain open from chairs to parking. Did nobody ski Saturday at Okemo? My guess is everyone up there just quit because the conditions were too hard for their clientele.

ghughes20

Lot 2 was closed Saturday all day. They had all day to move snow and all night. They also put Shooting Star away for the season and only fired it up Sunday when they realized how many tickets they sold. My car got stuck the day before so we ended up getting to the mountain late. After getting stuck in the line for parking my wife gave up and just dropped us off. Mountain was bumped out by 1030 but still soft and plenty of snow to be found. My legs were shot from Saturday so would have liked at least a few cruisers.

No idea why the lots were so full Sunday but the mountain was generally empty with almost no lift lines. Lodges were packed too. My theory is that if instead of taking 3 minutes to bomb a run it takes 6 or more enjoying the powder that changes the entire dynamic with lift capacity.

Heard Okemo had major issues Sunday getting the mountain open from chairs to parking. Did nobody ski Saturday at Okemo? My guess is everyone up there just quit because the conditions were too hard for their clientele.
I agree, very strange that the lots were full but the lift lines were non-existent. I like your theory, and I'll add that the lodges might've been full with people taking more frequent breaks.

I heard of various problems up and down Vermont with parking and lifts. We've been so starved of great conditions, everyone came out.

Yesterday, I got out for first tracks. There were some groomers early, but they too were totally bumped up by 10:30. By the end of the day, only the greens showed any evidence of being groomed the night before.

KustyTheKlown

its very simple. stratton skiers are shitty skiers. they do not know how to handle pow, bumps, or chop. they get all excited for new snow and then are totally done by 10:30/11.

showing up at 10 on a powder sunny sunday is insanity too.

Killingtime

Lot 2 filled up very quickly once it was opened. Not sure where people went after that. Home? Thought it would suck yesterday but with almost no lift lines I had one of my favorite days on the season. You just had to embrace the bumps because there was no flat terrain anywhere. Lodges were crowded so had late lunch at Mulligans (not a bad place with decent beer selection).

ghughes20

Lot 2 filled up very quickly once it was opened. Not sure where people went after that. Home? Thought it would suck yesterday but with almost no lift lines I had one of my favorite days on the season. You just had to embrace the bumps because there was no flat terrain anywhere. Lodges were crowded so had late lunch at Mulligans (not a bad place with decent beer selection).
100%. Best weekend in a long time. I missed the big dump last March, I'm glad I didn't miss this one.

Zermatt

its very simple. stratton skiers are shitty skiers. they do not know how to handle pow, bumps, or chop. they get all excited for new snow and then are totally done by 10:30/11.

Overheard on Sunday:

“Glad we left yesterday when we did by 11:15”

Yep, right before it snowed another 15” with free refills all day.

Zand

A couple years ago I was on the Gondola with a couple guys who were talking about how they only ski at places like Stratton because powder and moguls are too dangerous for your knees.

At least they were actually talking about skiing instead of being on the phone with their stock broker, which is how most other rides on the Gondola go.

KustyTheKlown

Overheard on Sunday:

“Glad we left yesterday when we did by 11:15”

Yep, right before it snowed another 15” with free refills all day.

its nice because the glades are basically country club status. no one skis them.

really a bunch of pussies that call this hill home.

KustyTheKlown

never said i was.

but i ski there sometimes because its unlimited and closest to home and when the snow is good the trees are empty and when the snow is bad (early season) groomers are groomers no matter where you are, and the snowbowl and ursa both quickly serve 1400 vertical of acceptable groomers.

i would never go to stratton on a peak season saturday. if magic has tide, i'm there instead.

and its still better than okemo and (imo) mount snow, which are full of even shittier skiers.

x10003q

A couple years ago I was on the Gondola with a couple guys who were talking about how they only ski at places like Stratton because powder and moguls are too dangerous for your knees.

At least they were actually talking about skiing instead of being on the phone with their stock broker, which is how most other rides on the Gondola go.
I always wonder who rides the gondola.

Zand

I always wonder who rides the gondola.
I usually never go anywhere near that base but this was early season a couple years ago and for some reason Ursa wasn't running, so didn't have a choice that day if you wanted to ski Franks, etc.

ColdRain&Snow

It was a great day, just wish we left home an hour earlier :whistle:

This story is looking to have a very happy ending, and I’ll owe you and the other hardcore skiers here a debt of gratitude. :)

slatham

When does Stratton typically close? Seems more like a set date versus hanging onto the last snow.
Recent years it has been mid April so I expect the weekend of April 13-14 to be their last. However I have not seen anything official on this.

ColdRain&Snow

The website says Sunbowl lift/lodge/parking closing April 1. I’m guessing that means closed on Monday.

Going there Monday & Thursday (Killington Tues&Weds), Monday looks like spring skiing, and a big dump seems likely before Thursday :)