• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Subaru to Buy Hummer

o3jeff

Have you heard what the reasoning behind that is? Is the military still using them or are they looking to get into the middle east auto market.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup---just bored this morning

was going to say, does Subaru have a death wish. While certainly not at the forefront of alternative fuels; (in fact I've never read anywhere regarding Subaru pursuing hybrid technology) Subaru is perceived by many to be a 'green' car company. That image would be destroyed by the purchase of Hummer.

bvibert

Staff member
was going to say, does Subaru have a death wish. While certainly not at the forefront of alternative fuels; (in fact I've never read anywhere regarding Subaru pursuing hybrid technology) Subaru is perceived by many to be a 'green' car company. That image would be destroyed by the purchase of Hummer.

Subaru is, or was, trying to get a diesel engine here in the states. Properly setup turbo diesels can get just as good mileage as hybrids, and actually be fun to drive. The last I checked the German manufacturers weren't pursuing hybrid either, in favor of pushing for better diesel technology.

ComeBackMudPuddles

The last I checked the German manufacturers weren't pursuing hybrid either, in favor of pushing for better diesel technology.

GM, BMW and Daimler co-developed the "two-mode" hybrid currently in GM trucks and to be rolled out soon in the German automakers' cars.

an example of an alliance that "works"....

diesels are fuel-efficient and can be fun, but so long as diesel costs more in the States (unlike in Europe, where it's like 25% cheaper than unleaded), i think it'll be more of a novelty (especially since there's a perception that diesel cars are dirty and unreliable (left over from the 70s/80s)).

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
GM, BMW and Daimler co-developed the "two-mode" hybrid currently in GM trucks and to be rolled out soon in the German automakers' cars.

diesels are fuel-efficient and can be fun, but so long as diesel costs more in the States (unlike in Europe, where it's like 25% cheaper than unleaded), i think it'll be more of a novelty (especially since there's a perception that diesel cars are dirty and unreliable (left over from the 70s/80s)).
On the same lines..I'm pretty sure that Ford licensed some of the hybrid technology used in the Prius from Toyota for use in the Escape.

bvibert

Staff member

I guess I haven't been keeping up to date. I shouldn't have said anything. It's funny, as I was writing that I was thinking of an article I read a few years back about how BMW wasn't interested in pursuing hybrid technology at all, they saw it as more of a fad, or something like that. Times change I guess.

Thanks for the update.

I personally would rather see more invested into diesels in the states, I'm not sold on this hybrid stuff. It wasn't too long ago that diesel was cheaper here in the states too, something happened and it shot up higher than unleaded and it stayed there. I don't really understand that.

wa-loaf

Not so far fetched. Fuji Heavy industries makes trucks and as the parent of Subaru I could see them being interested, but not Subaru itself.

koreshot

Subaru is, or was, trying to get a diesel engine here in the states. Properly setup turbo diesels can get just as good mileage as hybrids, and actually be fun to drive. The last I checked the German manufacturers weren't pursuing hybrid either, in favor of pushing for better diesel technology.

Indeed Subie is working on clean and efficient diesels. If memory serves, they released one for Europe and hope to bring one to the states in the next couple of years. They were also working on a hybrid, but the future of that program is less certain.

While IMO hybrids don't make a ton of sense today when compared to clean high tech diesels that are available in Europe, I am still happy that the manufacturers are making them avaialble. We are basically in the second generation of hybrids and they are already doing well to provide good mileage and solid reliability. A few more generations of refinement, cost reduction, improvements on battery technology and they will become a great option to consumers.

wa-loaf

I personally would rather see more invested into diesels in the states, I'm not sold on this hybrid stuff. It wasn't too long ago that diesel was cheaper here in the states too, something happened and it shot up higher than unleaded and it stayed there. I don't really understand that.

I would really love more diesels here as well.

Diesel was cheaper here because it was a dirtier version. A law was passed to force cleaner diesel in the US. Now the diesel we have here is on par with the euro diesel which will make it easier to get the euro diesel cars here. It's gas that's much more expensive (taxed like crazy) over there making the diesel more affordable.

bvibert

Staff member
I would really love more diesels here as well.

Diesel was cheaper here because it was a dirtier version. A law was passed to force cleaner diesel in the US. Now the diesel we have here is on par with the euro diesel which will make it easier to get the euro diesel cars here. It's gas that's much more expensive (taxed like crazy) over there making the diesel more affordable.

Thanks for the clarification on diesel costs. That makes sense.

Geoff

Most states tax the hell out of diesel fuel on the theory that trucks use it and tear the heck out of the roads. Without the tax, it costs roughly the same as home heating fuel. The low-sulfur blend now required might jack up the price a couple of pennies. "Off Road" diesel that isn't taxed is cheaper than unleaded at the pump in Vermont. Given that diesel gives you around 30% more energy per gallon than gasoline, that's a very good value.

bvibert

Staff member
Most states tax the hell out of diesel fuel on the theory that trucks use it and tear the heck out of the roads. Without the tax, it costs roughly the same as home heating fuel. The low-sulfur blend now required might jack up the price a couple of pennies. "Off Road" diesel that isn't taxed is cheaper than unleaded at the pump in Vermont. Given that diesel gives you around 30% more energy per gallon than gasoline, that's a very good value.

That makes even more sense, thanks.

How is the 'off road' diesel sale regulated? I assume it's for use in construction equipment, groomers, etc.., but how do they stop it from being used in cars and trucks?