• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee: Sunday, December 11, 2005

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, December 11, 2005

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Sunapee

Conditions: PP/FG

Trip Report: Despite my busy final week of classes and exams, I promised myself to at least go skiing one day this weekend. My schedule and other factors led us to choose Sunday Morning turns and I am glad that we did :beer:

There was more snow on the way over to the mountain than last week's trip. Despite the $25 ticket promo, we were able to procure a good parking spot in the main lot. We were on the lift about about 8:45am and one of our chairmates was grumbling :roll:

"I'm gonna get so bored here...probably after two hours or so," the guy was saying. Great. My first run on probably my only day this week :roll: and I wasn't going to let it get spoiled.

"Well, there are 20 runs open and this is better than last weekend when we had two runs down," I countered. He apologized.

The first run was down Bonanza, which was edge to edge and firm. After this run, we decided to hit the Skyway Ledges which were also pretty firm as well. Ms. Trailboss took a breather while I hit Flying Goose, which was in great shape and edgeable, but still firm. My chairmates told me that the trail was much improved from the day before--"it was marbles then." I skidded down it, but it was great to get my skis on something steeper.

I picked up Ms. Trailboss and we hit Blast Off, which was soft thanks to the new snow.

The flat light during the first hour made skiing difficult because we could not see the surface. So we decided to give the sunny South Peak a shot.

We had not skied over here before and decided that since we were passholders, we'd better ski the whole place. Our first run was down a very well groomed and soft Explorer which worked wonders for Ms. Trailboss' cold body and tired legs. I was also able to get my skis underneath me--first day back on the good boards and I was sitting too far back and as a result my skis were not happy. Our next run was down Province to Sunnyside Down. All in all, South Peak is a nice area to beat the crowds for some quiet, easy runs to warm up or for beginners. It was a nice change of pace.

Then we were on to the Spruce Triple and some runs down Pipeline. This was another new area for us and we found it to be largely empty and nice for yo-yo runs. Province was edge-to-edge and in good shape. Eggbeater, on the other hand, was pretty solid.

Ms. Trailboss and I hit Flying Goose again, which had loosened up some, and then headed back to the Summit for a run down Bonanza (which was much softer). I finished out the morning by hitting all three of the summit runs once and an encore down Bonanza. The snow had softened considerably thanks to the skiers and I was able to find soft snow on the sides of the trails. The crowds were :eek: at times, but no :argue: and the lines moved along at the HSQ. I skied better once I got my skis underneath me. Felt good to be back on the boards.

Word has it that the Sunbowl will be open on Wednesday--the lift was spinning today (and it was fast! :eek: ). I anxiously await it.

hammer

Looks like you've had some good days at Sunapee so far.

I have 3 trips planned for this season, but I won't be able to go until after the holidays, so I'm guessing I'll be fighting the crowds like I did last year... :(

How's the ticket scanning working out there? Hope it's going OK...it will get a good test over the holiday week for sure...

Good luck on your exams. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
Looks like you've had some good days at Sunapee so far.

I have 3 trips planned for this season, but I won't be able to go until after the holidays, so I'm guessing I'll be fighting the crowds like I did last year... :(

Yes, it has been good so far. Yesterday was the only 'crowded day' thus far...and it was completely expected. We were able to find some quiet corners here and there.

How's the ticket scanning working out there? Hope it's going OK...it will get a good test over the holiday week for sure...

Scanning has been a pain so far...especially considering that many of us wear our passes in plastic armbands. The holograms have been a problem.