• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sunday River 04/02 Sat

Vortex

Sat April 2nd 2005
Temp in the high 30's low 40's
Conditions wet and wild
Ncp Snow Sleet and then Ncp!

I got out of Bethel at about 8 with NCP just starting. Got to the River at 8.30 with a mix of sleet and something wet. Stated out at Barker as usual. I skied Monday Morning T-2 Sunday Punch, cascades all were soft except T_2 bullet proof and ungroomed. Adjusted my teeth at the bottom. I was skiing with no sense of vision, just fogged in and wet, but crowds were at a minimal and went slow. About 9.30 it changed to snow and I headed up to Spruce. Risky business and American express were just fabulous soft easy turning kind of hard pack that was just getting a little soft. Comment I heard( this is great just wish I could see!) I was dressed in full bad weather gear, but I headed back down to get my winter coat and face protection about 10.30 sleet was just nailing me in the face at this point. I took a couple more runs and was much warmer and more comfortable. About 11.30 it changed to just clear snow fast and furious clear snow. I had a quick stop at Baker to meet my buddies and we headed back to Spruce I wanted t hit Northern lights and Airlow. Map said they were groomed vortex was on the agenda as well. Hit mid mountain lodge and that side was roped off, probably telling me to smarten up and go in for cover. :idea: We went back down Downdraft, awesome shape. and headed over to White Cap to check out the Parrot head thing. Was not anything I thought that was worth staying for took the lift up and went to baker and called it a day. This was my 54th day out most in 15+ years. I earned my turns and headed out. :D I was a wet rat. Anyway glad I went had a ton of fun. Edit very classy they had the ski patrol handing out plastic vest to help people stay dry thankx to all of you for staying out to make our experience better. ASC takes some bashing, but that was cool. :beer: