• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

steamboat1

7 gun salute
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sssummit.jpg
    sssummit.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 489
  • sseffort.jpg
    sseffort.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 491

mulva

7 gun salute
attachment.php

attachment.php

I was there over the weekend. They're looking pretty committed to Spring skiing. The whales on superstar and glacier going at the top of ss were impressive.

edit: had a great time despite the crap winter. plenty of fresh snow on the sides of trails and some fun bumps.

Last edited:

skiur

Snowmaking is done for the year at K. Superstar looks impressive but I think it was a little bigger last year and we had a nice cold spring. I dont think memorial day is gonna happen, hopefully may 1st does but with how warm this year has been and looks like it will continue to be may 1st may be a stretch.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Snowmaking is done for the year at K. Superstar looks impressive but I think it was a little bigger last year and we had a nice cold spring. I dont think memorial day is gonna happen, hopefully may 1st does but with how warm this year has been and looks like it will continue to be may 1st may be a stretch.

"Cool" spring, blowtorch May. If we miraculously have a "normal" spring without too much rain Memorial Day will be definite and June a possibility, even with the less-than-last-year snow depths. ALL of last May was hot...very hot.

MEtoVTSkier

That's a pretty big IF...

I'm betting they don't get anywhere near Memorial Day with the warm up starting next week and no cold snaps in the foreseeable future after this weekend.

skiur

"Cool" spring, blowtorch May. If we miraculously have a "normal" spring without too much rain Memorial Day will be definite and June a possibility, even with the less-than-last-year snow depths. ALL of last May was hot...very hot.

Can i get some of what your smoking? If you think June is possible, it must be some good shit!!

drjeff

Maybe that would be the case if they were running those Snow Logic's tonight through Sunday. That spine on SS is deep, just not very wide, and with little snow in the adjacent woods/ground near + under the SS liftline, the lateral melting of SS will start much earlier this year, and likely have a greater detrimental effect on the eventual meltout than in years past, since let's be honest right now, given the long range forecast, AND the lack of snow on the ground now AND the higher and higher sun angle now, if we even get a decent snowstorm now, we're likely talking the 2nd 1/2 of March at best, and then the sun angle likely would melt that out pretty quickly :-(

steamboat1

Maybe that would be the case if they were running those Snow Logic's tonight through Sunday. That spine on SS is deep, just not very wide, and with little snow in the adjacent woods/ground near + under the SS liftline, the lateral melting of SS will start much earlier this year, and likely have a greater detrimental effect on the eventual meltout than in years past, since let's be honest right now, given the long range forecast, AND the lack of snow on the ground now AND the higher and higher sun angle now, if we even get a decent snowstorm now, we're likely talking the 2nd 1/2 of March at best, and then the sun angle likely would melt that out pretty quickly :-(

Not sure I agree. It's pretty deep on the other side of those mounds too. Not only that but there's more snow under the lift than usual. Don't forget in years past they plowed the snow out from under the lift. This year they haven't. I do wish they were blowing this weekend though.

MEtoVTSkier

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Doc J, once the woods are bare, the lateral melt out is going to be bad this year. Other pics on Kzone show the spine isn't as wide as the illusion of the above pictures, and the hydrants are still sticking up under the lift, so it's not THAT deep under there, if they haven't had to dig them out. It will be what it is, if K doesn't make any more. Really surprised they didn't push that spine out even to bury the whole trail good. And blow another on top of it again, just to show Everyone who is Boss. Too many people on-slope agree, that while it is impressive, there isn't quite as much as last year. There is a month to BMMC yet, and they don't seem to be building up Outer Limits to have enough depth for April 9th. Betting that BMMC will be on Supe, if they don't make snow on OL. I know some think it would end up on Highline, but I have doubts that retains enough snow either.

Time will tell. Who knows, maybe Mother Nature WILL help out at the last possible moment.

Newpylong

If this weather keeps up and nothing else is added to that it will be toast sometime in April if not sooner. The hydrants on Superstar are mostly standard 36" + 8" on the pipe, and there's still a foot peaking out of the snow currently. Not a lot under the lift at all.

Back when late May/June was common the entire width of the trail was that deep going into spring - you were above the chair coming down the first head wall into the flats. This year is everything but normal, I think they could make it 50 feet deep and still be washed out earlier than usual due to lateral melt.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
To me the most tell tale sign is how they have been advertising their spring pass. "With any luck we will be skiing into May" or something along those lines. Not as bullish as years past in talking about Memorial Day or June. Given the season we've had, I'd say making May 1st would be a good accomplishment. Hopefully we have a cold spring and they make it longer.

steamboat1

Speaking of the spring pass I'm sure sales are way down this year compared to last because of the season we're having. If I remember right they claimed they sold well over 2,000 of them last year. The previous year only about 600. I'd be surprised if they've even got to the 600 number again this year.

machski

Speaking of the spring pass I'm sure sales are way down this year compared to last because of the season we're having. If I remember right they claimed they sold well over 2,000 of them last year. The previous year only about 600. I'd be surprised if they've even got to the 600 number again this year.

I'm one who won't be buying a spring pass this year. Part of that is that I still have all 5 of my K days left on my Max Pass.