• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

chuckstah

Headwall

Attachments

• 1458268142007.jpg
    1458268142007.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 149

cdskier

Lets just call it upper Superstar, middle Superstar & lower Superstar. After all that's what it's called on the trail map.

The trail map on their website just calls it Superstar! :daffy:

(I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on whether it should be divided into that many trail segments or not...I've had fun skiing Superstar in the past and could care less how many trails they divide it into)

steamboat1

The trail map on their website just calls it Superstar! :daffy:

(I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on whether it should be divided into that many trail segments or not...I've had fun skiing Superstar in the past and could care less how many trails they divide it into)

We've had this discussion before. IMO I like the fact they divide the trail (s) into sections. It's especially useful early season when only sections of trails have had snow made on them but not the entire trail. It's also useful during the course of the season. Middle Ovation is often open while at the same time the headwall & lower Ovation are not. If not for the trail segments I wouldn't know that if the trail report just listed Ovation as open.

chuckstah

Downdraft Headwall. And Upper. And middle and lower. Somehow Downdraft is FOUR trails.

Attachments

• 1458269322934.jpg
    1458269322934.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 131

steamboat1

Downdraft Headwall. And Upper. And middle and lower. Somehow Downdraft is FOUR trails.

Easy. The section above high traverse is the headwall. Between High Traverse & Great Northern is upper. Below Great Northern to the Cascade cut across is middle. Below Cascade cut across to the intersection with Double Dipper is lower. I can see that. I stand corrected again.

cdskier

We've had this discussion before. IMO I like the fact they divide the trail (s) into sections. It's especially useful early season when only sections of trails have had snow made on them but not the entire trail. It's also useful during the course of the season. Middle Ovation is often open while at the same time the headwall & lower Ovation are not. If not for the trail segments I wouldn't know that if the trail report just listed Ovation as open.

I can certainly see value in that as long as it isn't done to an excesss. To use a comparison at Sugarbush, in early season you'll often see "Lower Jester" listed as open...but in fact it is only part of Lower Jester. That's a trail that could benefit from an official "middle" section on the trail report.

Back to K...I haven't been there in several years and am having trouble remembering Ovation headwall vs "middle Ovation". I distinctly remember Lower Ovation though so can clearly envision 2 trail segments in my head for that one. How long is the headwall portion? If it is relatively short, then my personal preference would be to combine Ovation headwall and middle Ovation into one trail and just list it on the report as "partially open" if needed. But I wouldn't complain about it being 3 segments either if it is normal that only 1 or 2 of 3 segments are open at various times.

chuckstah

That works. I have always thought of everything below GN lower.

steamboat1

I can certainly see value in that as long as it isn't done to an excesss. To use a comparison at Sugarbush, in early season you'll often see "Lower Jester" listed as open...but in fact it is only part of Lower Jester. That's a trail that could benefit from an official "middle" section on the trail report.

Back to K...I haven't been there in several years and am having trouble remembering Ovation headwall vs "middle Ovation". I distinctly remember Lower Ovation though so can clearly envision 2 trail segments in my head for that one. How long is the headwall portion? If it is relatively short, then my personal preference would be to combine Ovation headwall and middle Ovation into one trail and just list it on the report as "partially open" if needed. But I wouldn't complain about it being 3 segments either if it is normal that only 1 or 2 of 3 segments are open at various times.

Ovation headwall is a distinct section above Launch Pad. Rarely open but often poached.

benski

the section of lower jester bellow lower downspout should be part of lower downspout as opposed to lower jester.

steamboat1

Today's pics thanks to a poster on KZone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 26705001060_f9c6abcf58_z.jpg
    26705001060_f9c6abcf58_z.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 26910032781_09f8938153_z.jpg
    26910032781_09f8938153_z.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 408

snoseek

Fuck i left all my ski shit in grand junction...I'd be all over that!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

chuckstah

It was real good today but just started to rain. Done for the day.

Quietman

Thinking of heading up tomorrow, what are the chances of long lines on a sunny(AM at least) Saturday in May?