• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

steamboat1

You could also get off Rt. 4 in VT. at West Rutland & pick & up Rt.3 over to Pittsford where you'd pick up Rt.7 north into Brandon & Rt. 73. There's a short cut just past Otter Valley HS (at the Citgo station) which takes you into Rt. 73 without having to go into Brandon. Probably knocks off 10 minutes instead of going into Brandon.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cdskier It has been a few years since I've driven to K, but I want to say from what I remember I can make it from my house in about 4:30 or maybe a little under with no traffic (255 miles via I-87 -> Rt 149 -> Rt 4). I've made it to Sugarbush from my house in 5 hours flat under perfect conditions with no traffic (290 miles). I bypass Rutland/K on my way to SB though and in VT get off Rt 4 at 22A and take that up to Rt 73 and over to Rt 100.

3 hours is about the limit for what I would consider day-tripable for me personally

Last edited:

cdskier

I find that way to be longer assuming you take the short cuts in rutland and dont stay on 4 with all those traffic lights.

I tried quite a few different ways and 22a to 73 through Brandon was the one that seemed quickest for me. For the most part I like most of the roads themselves too on this route so even if it is a few minutes longer I still like the drive.

I'm sure you've had some interesting adventures going over Brandon Gap (Rt. 73) driving up Fri. evenings.

Surprisingly not really. Out of Brandon Gap, Sherburne, App Gap, and Middlebury Gap the Brandon Gap seems the tamest (to me). There were only a couple times that you had to take it really slow (but I think on those particular dates any of the gaps would have been the same or worse).

benski

I looked it up on MapQuest and Professor Cornhead and I are 18 miles closer to Killington than Manhattan. We live in Binghamton, NY area and are 244 miles from the Beast.
Don't forget about me I will take a share of the diving any powder day and maybe another weekend or two. I only got three days in this year due to lack of a car as a freshman in college. Was going to post asking for a ride for a powder day but...

steamboat1

Maybe that would be the case if they were running those Snow Logic's tonight through Sunday. That spine on SS is deep, just not very wide, and with little snow in the adjacent woods/ground near + under the SS liftline, the lateral melting of SS will start much earlier this year, and likely have a greater detrimental effect on the eventual meltout than in years past, since let's be honest right now, given the long range forecast, AND the lack of snow on the ground now AND the higher and higher sun angle now, if we even get a decent snowstorm now, we're likely talking the 2nd 1/2 of March at best, and then the sun angle likely would melt that out pretty quickly :-(
You were saying?

March 3, 2016. Pretty much done with snowmaking on Supe.

attachment.php

Attachments

• whale.jpg
    whale.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
May 20, 2016 - Fri.
The Superstar glacier is holding up quite well.

Killington pushed a lot of snow to provide solid t2b skiing on Superstar. There were two "narrow spots". No way to get down without lots of moguls. The headwall skied well all day. From the bottom of the headwall, the next 1000 feet or so was the closest thing to cruising snow. After the snow got traffic, the bottom got a little heavy.

I heard that Killington will be open next weekend. I suspect that "some walking" will be required. Kudos to Killington and hopefully this puts to rest who is the "king of spring" in eastern (USA) skiing.

jaybird

May 20, 2016 - Fri.
The Superstar glacier is holding up quite well.

I heard that Killington will be open next weekend. I suspect that "some walking" will be required. Kudos to Killington and hopefully this puts to rest who is the "king of spring" in eastern (USA) skiing.

Yeah baby ... the Beast is alive and well ... complete with organic soup hopping and dirt hucking.
Friday was an spectacular bumpfest ... bikini styles are interesting this year.

Non believers in Killington's dominance are akin to climate change nay-sayers.
How's Sunday River holding up ... Ha!

chuckstah

Unconfirmed rumor mill has K running next weekend, closed Tuesday, and reopen Wed. June 1 for a free ski day. All snow dependent of course. Next weekend looks like a lock to open for at least a couple days. Expect walking at some point next weekend in the usual spots.

Kleetus

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1463874155.850533.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1463874174.066873.jpg

Here's some pics from today. Great coverage. I think as long as they push snow around next weekend is a lock. Still spots with 5+ feet of base. Great bump skiing today, glad I got one more day of great bumping in. Yet again I ended my season at the K.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks great. Seeing K have such great success going late after a winter like this one really makes me curious about what the weather was like back in the 90s when skiing there mid-late June. Obviously cooler, but it would be interesting to see the temperature data as it's not something you remember.

chuckstah

Looks great. Seeing K have such great success going late after a winter like this one really makes me curious about what the weather was like back in the 90s when skiing there mid-late June. Obviously cooler, but it would be interesting to see the temperature data as it's not something you remember.

In 1997 when SS lasted til June 22 the spring weather was very cool and snowy. From memory, several pow days in April, and more in May. Skied Tux that year in July with a few options still in play. Record May snow fall. The biggest factor, IMO, to regularly running into June was snow making into April. I recall attending the Bear Mt Mogul Challenge well into April with guns blasting SS top to bottom. 30 feet plus top to bottom was the result. No thin spots. They also stayed open some years with more walking than skiing. I'll try to dig up some old pics of what was considered open " back in the day". Glad they're going back in the right direction!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh I remember skiing well into June a few times. My memory of the weather isn't so vivid though. I tend to remember snowy winters, but not snowy spring seasons outside of singular large events like the five feet Sugarloaf got on Patriots day in 07.