• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

bdfreetuna

I've said this many times before that if Sugarbush blew the amount of snow on Steins that K blows on Superstar Sugarbush would win. It might be a little more difficult now with the lower loading of the VH chair & having to go around the base lodge.

I'd rather see Sugarbush spread out their snowmaking efforts. They don't need to and shouldn't try to beat Killington at it's game. But they could try to keep more of it's terrain open later, like Stowe does, even though Stowe usually closes earlier because they don't want people skiing on a "product" with bare spots.

steamboat1

Can we all just revisit this thread at some point next Spring when some of the nay sayers question if K really is the King of Spring or not??

Flat out until some other players MASSIVELY ups their game or develops a lift/trail scheme that has the same type of immediate access to/from the lift to the trail with very little flat runout at the end, nobody in the East will legitimately contend with K and their current ownerships Spring operations philosophy
Sunday River will open before Killington next season....:slap:

Who cares?

Last edited:

Another stellar zipper line weekend. The glacier continues to impress. Even some pow today.

spiderpig

Glad you decided to go, I hadn't skied K in ten years but got tired driving home from Sugarloaf about four years ago late season. I stopped in Rutland, hit a Dunkin Donuts, made the decision to ski K the next day, slept in my car in the K1 lot. Well, tried to sleep, think I got about an hour just before opening. It was fun watching the groomer. Sleep deprivation, Birdman, and Radio Ron, it was a memorable day. K has been my go to late season resort since. Grateful for K's renewed commitment to early/late season opening. A Hell of alot closer to me than Jay, or the Loaf. Still a challenging 500 mile round trip day trip.

I really appreciate when Skyelark is still in play. Usually alternate runs between Supe and Sky, or some combination. At this point, any skiing is a bonus. Been a great Spring despite the lack of help from Ma Nature, kudos to K.
On the contrary, I think they've had a lot of help from Mother Nature since the beginning of April. Many cold nights and more snow than average. Great spring for snow sliding operations, especially compared to the lame winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Cornhead

On the contrary, I think they've had a lot of help from Mother Nature since the beginning of April. Many cold nights and more snow than average. Great spring for snow sliding operations, especially compared to the lame winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Agree, it has been a cool Spring, in fact it snowed last night. I was referring to the craptastic Winter.

Newpylong

My view is after this hideous winter they did not bury SS as deep as usual and figured whatever they get out of it they get out of it. The gamble paid off because it's been near freezing every night and fairly mild days. It would be ironic to go deeper into spring than last year even after this winter. The mountains needed a break I hope they make June.

Rambo

K is not within day trip range from Manhattan. It's even further away than Cornheads trip from upstate. For me here in Brooklyn it's about 285 miles or 5hrs. each way, that's with no traffic. Not many people willing to make that long a day trip. I give Cornhead lots of credit for his efforts.

I looked it up on MapQuest and Professor Cornhead and I are 18 miles closer to Killington than Manhattan. We live in Binghamton, NY area and are 244 miles from the Beast.

Domeskier

I looked it up on MapQuest and Professor Cornhead and I are 18 miles closer to Killington than Manhattan. We live in Binghamton, NY area and are 244 miles from the Beast.

If you have someone to share the driving responsibilities, a day-tip to K from Manhattan is not bad at all. There are also bus companies that do day-trips to K from Manhattan every weekend. It takes longer, especially if you don't live near one of the bus stops, but at least there's no driving involved.

steamboat1

From my house:

via Taconic State Pkwy N 5hr 5min 265.2mi

If I take either I-91 or I-87 you can add 20 miles.

Taking this route the best time I've ever made to K is 4hr 45min. That's leaving Brooklyn before 5am & getting out of the city with no traffic. On the other hand coming home & hitting city traffic it often takes me in excess of 6 hrs. to get home.

Not day tripable. At least not to me.

Last edited:

cdskier

It has been a few years since I've driven to K, but I want to say from what I remember I can make it from my house in about 4:30 or maybe a little under with no traffic (255 miles via I-87 -> Rt 149 -> Rt 4). I've made it to Sugarbush from my house in 5 hours flat under perfect conditions with no traffic (290 miles). I bypass Rutland/K on my way to SB though and in VT get off Rt 4 at 22A and take that up to Rt 73 and over to Rt 100.

3 hours is about the limit for what I would consider day-tripable for me personally.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll day trip to Jay on occasion, 210 miles and about 3.5 hours drive.

I'm assuming most people up to K from the NYC metro are there for the weekend whether it's spring skiing or peak season. Probably quite a few day trip folks from CT and MA when the weather is good this spring. Regardless, the location advantage to the major metros and great product is what makes K the most popular area in New England no matter the time of year. It's a bit easier for the weekend commuters from NYC and within day trip range of many more people than other mountains that push late; SB, Jay, WC, SR, SL.

steamboat1

It has been a few years since I've driven to K, but I want to say from what I remember I can make it from my house in about 4:30 or maybe a little under with no traffic (255 miles via I-87 -> Rt 149 -> Rt 4). I've made it to Sugarbush from my house in 5 hours flat under perfect conditions with no traffic (290 miles). I bypass Rutland/K on my way to SB though and in VT get off Rt 4 at 22A and take that up to Rt 73 and over to Rt 100.

3 hours is about the limit for what I would consider day-tripable for me personally.
I'm sure you've had some interesting adventures going over Brandon Gap (Rt. 73) driving up Fri. evenings.

steamboat1

Stowe usually closes earlier because they don't want people skiing on a "product" with bare spots.
I've skied Stowe plenty of times with grass hopping, bare spots or walking required. Even earlier this season. Stowe sets their closing date before the season even starts. On occasion they have extended closing an extra week.

HowieT2

I find that way to be longer assuming you take the short cuts in rutland and dont stay on 4 with all those traffic lights.