• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tales of pure luck

2knees

1994, summer vacation on Marthas Vineyard. We had rented a house in inland and had gone to Chappaquiddic for the day. Sat around drinking beer and what not all day long. When it was time to leave, i couldnt find my wallet. We looked all around the beach. Looked in the car, must've spent a solid 45 minutes looking for it. no luck. So we headed back to our cottage and i was praying i hadnt taken the thing with me in the first place. It was about a 20 minute ride back to our place. Spent a solid 1/2 hour look there. no luck. I, with my now wife and her girlfriend went back to the beach we had been at in one last attempt to save my week. No ID, no bars, no wallet, no money. It was gonna suck. Anyway we go back and still no luck in the sand but i looked out in the water and about 15 yards offshore, I could see something floating. I jumped in and swam out to it, and it was my wallet. I remember I was so shocked I opened it up to check the ID in it. I had gone in to take a piss probably 2 hours before we even left. Which was probably close to 4 hours since I had come back and found it. To this day, my friends who were there still bring that story up.

I guess the tide must've been right at the shift between going out and coming in but the damn thing was almost straight out from where we had been sitting. And this was the open Atlantic, not cape cod bay or the long island sound.

Wow to both storys so far..I have had my fair share of pure luck..

In my freshman year of college, I consumed alot of booze before a hockey game..then at the hockey game..swigged shots out of a buddys flask then back in the dorms consumed large amounts of beer, shots and mixed drinks..well next thing my eyes opened and I was in a hospital bed at 11AM..the nurse told me I almost died..I only had on my underwear and a hospital gown..my BAC was still way over the limit and once it got below the limit a campus cop drove me back to my dorm and as I had no keys..they were in the room I was let in by an RA..and my blanket covered in puke was in the hallway..

So I ended up throwing my blanket in the dumpster..going to Wal-mart and buying a new one..telling my parents what happened because they were going to get a note and a bill due to the incident..plus I had to attend classes..plus a strike against me so early in my college career..embarrassing and I was genuinely ashamed but I could have died..I could have choked on my own vomit and died. Instead of a steezy life skiing as much as possible..I'd be a column in Newsweek about binge drinking...

Last year I did a 180 on blackice going about 40mph..and luckily there were no other cars around and I didn't go off the road..Now I drive 25mph through that stretch which is marked as 25..on the side are trees and a small river..

HD333

3 summers ago my wedding ring fell of while swimming in the lake in front of the house. I noticed it after I got out so who knows when it fell off or where this thing is. I grab a mask and snorkle and spend a solid 2hrs looking for this thing as the wife and her family watch me. Finally I gave up, it's opnly a ring right. Ate dinner went back down to the shore, it is a sandy beach in front of the house. Wife comes down we have a beer standing at the edge of the water. She sees something shiny burried in the sand right where the r "waves" are coming in, she reaches down and pulls out my ring i was literally buried with the smallest amount possible peaking out of the sand....

drjeff

I was about 5 years old, my family was at the time living in Westport, CT. My Dad had recently got me my first real fishing pole. We had gone down to one of the bridges in town to fish for some school bluefish. Well, 5 year old me, who was just barely taller than the railing on the bridge leaned over to see my line hit the water and in doing so dropped my brand new rod/reel into the Saugatuck River :eek: which was deep enough and with enough of a tidal current that you couldn't see the bottom. A guy fishing near by saw what had happened(okay he more than likely heard me whining :rolleyes:) and grabbed one of his fishing poles and a flouder rig and within a few casts and reel ins, managed to hook my fishing rod through one of the eyes in the pole and retreive it for me!

I still to this day, have that old Zebco reel and pole in the basement.

ccskier

Three years ago this week we sold our last house and bought current home. Had th closing on old house at 9am and second at noon. We got the check from our old house cut at the closing. I gave it to my wife, she put in her wallet. She ran errands, cleaned out house, etc... We met back at Registry of deeds for new house closing. As we were walking in, I asked her for her wallet and she was like uh oh. We both ran out to her car, she had stopped to get gas, put her card in, wallet on roof, pumped gas drove away. She had a volvo xc with Thule box on top, perfect height to do this, when we got back to the car, the wallet was still on top, would have been a huge $$$$$$ problem. She had driven probably 10-15 miles like that. Thank god it didn't fall off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Three years ago this week we sold our last house and bought current home. Had th closing on old house at 9am and second at noon. We got the check from our old house cut at the closing. I gave it to my wife, she put in her wallet. She ran errands, cleaned out house, etc... We met back at Registry of deeds for new house closing. As we were walking in, I asked her for her wallet and she was like uh oh. We both ran out to her car, she had stopped to get gas, put her card in, wallet on roof, pumped gas drove away. She had a volvo xc with Thule box on top, perfect height to do this, when we got back to the car, the wallet was still on top, would have been a huge $$$$$$ problem. She had driven probably 10-15 miles like that. Thank god it didn't fall off.

My future wife left her wallet on the roof of the car while pumping gas when we were at the final stretch to in Langerado, March 2008, 14 mile drive from there into Big Cypress. We weren't so lucky. Had to have a friend mail down her passport so we could get on the plan to go home. :lol:

Philpug

I found a wallet at Mad River Glen. Turned it in, because thats what you do at Mad River Glen.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

Wow! A year or two ago, I had to drive Brian in to work. When we got home, I couldn't figure out where my keys had gone. I knew I had my keys when I left the house, and his were in the ignition, so what the heck happened...? Turns out, I had put them on the back bumper (forgot why now). Amazingly, they were still there, despite driving about 28 miles over bumpy roads at speeds up to 50 mph. :eek: So glad they were there!!!

Swamp Dog

After 3 years on the market, we finally had a buyer for our house on Cape Cod. These people were a PITA, demanding we do all sorts of stupid little things before the closing. One thing which in reality was not too stupid, was to have an electrician put in those safety outlets in the kitchen and the bathrooms. The stupid part was that they wanted a receipt with the Electrician's license number on it, which meant my husband couldn't do it himself.

Yeah, try to find an electrician to come do a 15 minute job in the next 7 days. At the same time I had ads on Craigslist to unload some furniture we would not be taking with us. A man and his wife came to look at a desk and asked if he could come back on Saturday with his minivan to pick it up. He worked full-time an hour+ away at a state job, but still worked as a MASTER ELECTRICIAN on weekends.

Yes, I gave him the desk and he did the 4 outlets in about 15 minutes.