• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

dlague

I bet - I've yet to meet him. As someone who loves operations and deals with it I love to follow Tenney. Hope they're not in over their heads. The ski business is not forgiving.

Xwhaler from what I saw he says Eclipse side is fine now and that's where they plan on making snow. He has a commitment there with the schools so has to.

You are exactly right. He has a commitment with 11 area schools. Ranging from ski teams to school ski programs.

He admittedly came into this blind and has learned a lot. Just the permitting side and insurance aspects have been crazy. There have been drainage issues that were there from when it was previously operating that need to get fixed or the DES would not approve their plan. He inherited a whole bunch or crap that was allowed before.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
They fix the access roads? That's one thing I remember from having a pass there. It was like a jeep trail

dlague

I think he might be over optimistic at how much he'll make the first year, however, I think the school deals he has as well as PSU (even if many students ski elsewhere) being in the area will give him a little more slack than he would if he were in a different area.

He is not optimistic at all. The goal is to get it running or else lose the ski area forever. The state was about to acquire the land and its current operating status would go away. That is the goal plain and simple.

Many people on this thread have speculated, judged or have shared opinions that are totally incorrect or misguided. Don't get me wrong others have been following and are correct about their statements. Michael read this thread and in fact posted it on his FB page. He was amazed how much was said with no basis. He did say that he has put that behind him and is focused on the task at hand running Tenney.

dlague

I still call it Plymouth State College as well....

I work in town and live in this state and you say PSU and they all know it is Plymouth State University. You have to consider the context would any other PSU make sense? This is funny that the was a discussion around PSU

dlague

They fix the access roads? That's one thing I remember from having a pass there. It was like a jeep trail

One road was destroyed in a heavy rain years ago and that has not been fixed. Yet as far as I can tell. I will get pictures.

Jully

He is not optimistic at all. The goal is to get it running or else lose the ski area forever. The state was about to acquire the land and its current operating status would go away. That is the goal plain and simple.

Many people on this thread have speculated, judged or have shared opinions that are totally incorrect or misguided. Don't get me wrong others have been following and are correct about their statements. Michael read this thread and in fact posted it on his FB page. He was amazed how much was said with no basis. He did say that he has put that behind him and is focused on the task at hand running Tenney.

Hey now. I didn't mean that to cruel at all. I've said multiple times before how great a job I think he's doing and have been following this since day 1. However, he said he's going for a small loss his first year, and I'm worried it'll be bigger than that. It's not misguided at all.

dlague

Hey now. I didn't mean that to cruel at all. I've said multiple times before how great a job I think he's doing and have been following this since day 1. However, he said he's going for a small loss his first year, and I'm worried it'll be bigger than that. It's not misguided at all.

Sorry was just reacting based on things I spoke to him about. He is expecting significant losses this year. But he is ready for that.

Jully

Sorry was just reacting based on things I spoke to him about. He is expecting significant losses this year. But he is ready for that.

Not a problem. I had spoken with him briefly earlier in the fall about season passes and he stated that he was expecting to incur only a slight loss for the first season. He was either spinning that in a positive light, or hadn't fully thought out the numbers yet and has now changed his answer to that question. You certainly have way more personal communication with him than I do!

Overall he certainly seems to have an excellent starting plan in my opinion, especially for someone who hasn't really had any contact with the industry before. Maybe resorts need more outsiders / fresh eyes like his to shake things up.

Nothing like when the Berry's bought Saddleback and rolled out a giant 5 year plan that they completed nearly none of.

xwhaler

Nothing like when the Berry's bought Saddleback and rolled out a giant 5 year plan that they completed nearly none of.

2 new lifts (Kennebago and lower mtn quad), brand new lodge, new trails/glades, lots of new condos doesn't count?

DoublePlanker

I'm pretty sure PSU is trademarked by Penn State. So Plymouth State can't even use the letters PSU on anything (logos, shirts, letterhead, etc.)

If you are selling real estate or seeking investors, its good for marketing to have a glitzy plan. How many plans actually reach full potential? Probably not many.

dlague

I'm pretty sure PSU is trademarked by Penn State. So Plymouth State can't even use the letters PSU on anything (logos, shirts, letterhead, etc.)

I do not think you are right on this one. Portland State even shows a shirt with PSU.

Plymouth State University
PSU2.jpg

Portland State University
PSU.jpg