• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

dlague

Looks like they are asking for volunteers to help do some work this weekend. This is the first I've seen a resort do this. I've never seen a for-profit company ask for volunteers. While it gets the community involved, it doesn't quite project the strong financial picture they've been trying to paint...

When I met with him last year, he refused to use volunteers because of some state rule. I told him that I would help and I am sure others would too. Seems like he has turned around on that stance which I think is good.

Does not look good from a strong financial picture is crap. Loon, Killington and many other places have people who volunteer as ski patrol, ambassadors, adaptive ski guides etc. and that has nothing to do with financial well being. In fact, if the resort paid for all those resources then they too would go out of business. I think Mike at Tenney is doing everything he can to get this off the ground without any incoming revenue and seeking volunteers is a good approach. While the mini goal was to open last year and got blocked by the EPA. He has committed to fixing the other chair lift and snow making and they have done a boat load of work on that so they have a better shot at it this year. There is a lot of local interest in getting this ski area back up and running.

MEtoVTSkier

From Tenny's FB

Christopher Kidney Are you insane asking a hurting population to work for free. Do we get to ski for free, are you going to give passes to all that participate. You purchased a business to make a profit and now you ask you customers to work for free. This is so MESSED UP.Like · Reply · 14 hrs

TENNEY Mountain Really Christopher? Maybe you didn't realize it or have not been following the last 4 years what's been happening up here with TENNEY and the team that bought it... first of all, we have been constantly supporting and giving back to the community. The community has been requesting and reaching out to us - asking us if we need the help of support because they want this mountain to be open once again... We also originally didn't buy the mountain for the ski area, we were scrapping it and going to use the property for a different recreational use - until we fell in love and understood what the community needed and wanted... so here we are, putting millions into a defunct mountain knowing we won't make a penney ever off of it. We are doing it because we are bringing in technology and high paying wages towards manufacturing jobs that a percentage will offset the Skiing amenity so the community can enjoy it once again... I don't know where you went to school or got your MBA, but not all businesses care just about profit! We are here on a long term dedicated mission as a group to share our worldly experiences and create new industry that creates new jobs for all - whilst the rest can enjoy a family ski mountain destination once again... I'm available 7x24 and would love to sit down and update you like I do for so many others whom may have a delusional misunderstanding of our intentions or our mission. So reach out to me via email at mike@tenney.email and or call me direct at 1-603-765-1000...

And BTW, legally we can't offer tickets or compensation for services because it becomes a tax issue for both parties. And yes, we offered a free ski day last year that only a few showed up for so we will be offering that plus another day... why, because that's the TEAM and dedication we have towards the community.

And in closing, maybe you should look up the definition of "volunteer"! If you don't want to participate then don't - however there's a lot of people that want to see this place open THIS season and we need the man hour support to get this done...

So Christopher, we are absolutely not insane - and I hope you understand that we live up here and are very much and very proud of our community and all the community / volunteered events that take place up here yearly! Many small businesses and nonprofits depend on volunteers... it's not a bad thing, it's a sense of community pride that drives us all and makes us successful up here in Plymouth / Grafton County as a whole.

It's all the caring and unselfish acts of community services and volunteering that brought me and the team up here. So before you start making bogus allegations and pissing the whole community off, do a little more research or homework first before you post such an ignorant statement. Sincerely, Sir Michael
Unlike · Reply · 9 · 13 hrs

dlague

They have slowed down a bit. The lawsuit might be hurting things, but also there might just not be as much to report. Really hoping for Hornet to open this year.

They have been posting about the snow making systems a lot. Earlier this summer it was repairing and load testing on Hornet, this week they did work on the lodge where there were roof leaks. They are working on getting the kitchen ready. He does not post everything that is happening but like to show things of significance.

MEtoVTSkier

Looks like they are asking for volunteers to help do some work this weekend. This is the first I've seen a resort do this. I've never seen a for-profit company ask for volunteers. While it gets the community involved, it doesn't quite project the strong financial picture they've been trying to paint...

I'd categorize Tenney as more of a mid-sized "Ski Area" more than a resort... at least for now. And I see nothing wrong with them asking for a little help, if people want to volunteer their time. Most local areas have been doing it for a long time. Evidently many have been asking to help, so I sure that had a lot to do with it.

They've put a lot of time and money in so far, they've more than adequately earned my belief that they are worth supporting with my own efforts, and I hope to go over and volunteer to help, if I can fit it in the schedule.

How much work and money into the lifts alone, to completely go thru them and do EVERYTHING to get them in the best possible shape sold me.

Much much more than Sugarloaf has the past few years...

Last edited:

Jully

They have been posting about the snow making systems a lot. Earlier this summer it was repairing and load testing on Hornet, this week they did work on the lodge where there were roof leaks. They are working on getting the kitchen ready. He does not post everything that is happening but like to show things of significance.

Exactly, there are just fewer things of significance happening. Last summer they ran the lifts for the first time, cleared the trails, etc. Things that had not been done in years were happening and totally changed the look of the area.

Absolutely killer reply to that facebook post too! I completely agree with everything he said. Shocked at how rude that poster was... Tenney has been nothing but good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Speaking of Facebook, Mike came out last week and specifically said that the litigation with their former investment partner was the main reason why things were delayed.

Having that information made me feel very sympathetic for them. Again, the information makes me understand what they are dealing with and makes me supportive.

Jully

Speaking of Facebook, Mike came out last week and specifically said that the litigation with their former investment partner was the main reason why things were delayed.

Having that information made me feel very sympathetic for them. Again, the information makes me understand what they are dealing with and makes me supportive.

Agreed. As someone with no experience in the ski industry just a few years ago, his dedication to the project is incredible! Additionally the project has almost certainly turned into more work than he expected. Nothing but support.

MG Skier

Not being one to miss out on Tenney chat, I have the time to chime in. When he purchased the mountain, he didn't plan on re establishing the winter activities part of the mountain. The community asked him to re open Tenney. So I'm sure he IS asking " What am I thinking".

He in the process has really shown us all how incredibly hard it is to re-open a defunct mountain. How many leaks (understatement) have they found/damage/theft vandalism. Lets keep in mind refurbishing/modernizing those lifts could not have been a cheap undertaking. I'm sure he is on a budget, if I were free I'd consider the drive. I have reached out to him multiple times to offer my assistance with whatever he needs.

I'd be happy to volunteer if that means he can save funds to make snow. I have some old ties to that area but I never skied it. I have hiked it twice and the difference has been very noticeable on each hike. My $.02.

dlague

Not being one to miss out on Tenney chat, I have the time to chime in. When he purchased the mountain, he didn't plan on re establishing the winter activities part of the mountain. The community asked him to re open Tenney. So I'm sure he IS asking " What am I thinking".

He in the process has really shown us all how incredibly hard it is to re-open a defunct mountain. How many leaks (understatement) have they found/damage/theft vandalism. Lets keep in mind refurbishing/modernizing those lifts could not have been a cheap undertaking. I'm sure he is on a budget, if I were free I'd consider the drive. I have reached out to him multiple times to offer my assistance with whatever he needs.

I'd be happy to volunteer if that means he can save funds to make snow. I have some old ties to that area but I never skied it. I have hiked it twice and the difference has been very noticeable on each hike. My $.02.

He originally bought it for water rights!

MEtoVTSkier

That I was not aware of. When I spoke to him the first time I met him, he wanted to start a water bottling business. Even spouted the number of gallons of production that is there.

Seems like a good idea, if there is plenty of water there. Something profitable to help prop up the rest of the business on lean snow years.

Smellytele

That I was not aware of. When I spoke to him the first time I met him, he wanted to start a water bottling business. Even spouted the number of gallons of production that is there.

I read a few articles that stated this "Bouchard is not himself a skier; he reportedly purchased the area for its minerals, then was convinced by Tenney fans that it could succeed as a ski area." - http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/new-england-classics-poised-reopen
and
"He said he was really interested in the mineral rights," - http://www.concordmonitor.com/Tenne...ams-up-with-Plymouth-State-University-2369932

dlague

They have posted on FB that the snow making systems is patched up and tested successfully. Thy still have a few seals to replace on he hydrants.

Newpylong

Tenney Mike still has to test the air side. Chances are nothing as bad as the water but he also has to install all.of the hydrant valves which were stolen. He is getting close.