• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

snoseek

$30 mill invested in the area itself and not just the lodge would do a lot to improve the business IMHO. Then again, if the concern is climate change and trying to be as broad as possible, I could see having a lodge to generate revenue in all seasons as a potentially good idea. My inclination would be to invest it in different areas of the resort. Because a $30 million lodge, with ancient lifts and broken snowmaking, is really an albatross.
This is the same mistake that saddleback did. They rebuilt the lodge and kept that piece of shit double. That double should have been the first thing to go, not the tbar.

JDMRoma

This is the same mistake that saddleback did. They rebuilt the lodge and kept that piece of shit double. That double should have been the first thing to go, not the tbar.
The vibe i got from them was they were good with the slow lifts, slow lifts manage skiers on the hill making it much more enjoyable skiing experience.
and after spending 5 saturdays there this season I'm kind of agreeing with it.

LuckyStrike

The vibe i got from them was they were good with the slow lifts, slow lifts manage skiers on the hill making it much more enjoyable skiing experience.
and after spending 5 saturdays there this season I'm kind of agreeing with it.
I agree but is that going to draw skiers in or will it repel them?

JDMRoma

not sure on that but I guess time will tell, will be interesting to see how they do next season. I was pretty tempted to buy the season pass but not sure about how early or late they will run. So im going to wait this one out and see what happens

thetrailboss

Staff member
My thoughts exactly. In some ways, it is appealing due to issues with crowds at the bigger areas. On the other hand, the lifts are old and reliability may be a concern. Look at all the issues, good and bad, with Magic. From what I have seen over the last 20 or so years, a increasingly shrinking portion of the market will tolerate a 12-15 minute lift ride because they understand, and appreciate, the quality. Most of us here can see that. But we're the minority of the market.

2planks2coasts

I'm probably buying a pass for next season. Egan's departure is disappointing, but I really like the place. Slow chairlift included.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've heard Egan is already out. Trying to get more info.
Not surprising. I imagine that he has a lot of other gigs and does not have the time or interest to help another new owner navigate operating a ski area.

Unfortunately he was the one who probably had the most knowledge about this area. Even if it was dated, he knew the community and the ins and outs of Tenney.

jimmywilson69

Maybe they can get someone who actually has run a ski area before. Not sure Egan had full on qualifications to do so. It seems like these next few years are critical for this place to get on its feet again to be in it for the long haul.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe they can get someone who actually has run a ski area before. Not sure Egan had full on qualifications to do so. It seems like these next few years are critical for this place to get on its feet again to be in it for the long haul.
I completely agree. His last experience was not so great. I don't think of him as a ski area manager. He doesn't have that kind of background.

urungus

I don't think of him as a ski area manager. He doesn't have that kind of background.
He was previously GM of Tenney from 2002-2004, so he does have at least a few years of ski area management background:

thetrailboss

Staff member
He was previously GM of Tenney from 2002-2004, so he does have at least a few years of ski area management background:
Yeah, I mentioned that previously. He was likely brought back because he had some knowledge of the area. But two years experience, at a time when things did not work well, is not extensive. A resort in this position would want someone with more experience to take the helm so as to make it work.

Newpylong

Not the type of operation that is going to attract the type of experience that they ideally need. Likely going to have to settle with less than ideal until if and when they get their feet under them and can pay (and offer job security) commensurate with experience.

Tin Woodsman

Agree this was a huge mistake for Saddleback, but I think this is a slightly different situation for Tenney. For one thing, Saddleback had aspirations to be a real New England destination resort in line with its size/snowfall. To tempt people to drive past SR/SL and attract the destination, they were going to need to make a splash. Also, the old Rangeley double was in worse shape than Hornet is now, so there should have been more urgency there, certainly prior to addressing Kennebago. I would suggest that as a more regional destination that will never be a Waterville or Loon, Tenney doesn't really need to prioritize lift replacement first. Have to focus on snowmaking so people have faith that the product will be there and probably a lodge to start bringing in 4 season revenue. Once you stabilize the operation, then clearly lift replacement is the next step there, but not phase 1 IMHO.

Tin Woodsman

Not the type of operation that is going to attract the type of experience that they ideally need. Likely going to have to settle with less than ideal until if and when they get their feet under them and can pay (and offer job security) commensurate with experience.
Wonder if this is the sort of thing that someone like Tom Day, who likely has had enough of public oversight at Gunstock but remains a damn experienced local operator, would be willing to take on for a few years.

Newpylong

I'd say not likely. Going to either be someone like Jay Gamble that they lure out of retirement or an up and comer Operations Manager from another ski area that wants a chance at a GM role.

Tin Woodsman

I'd say not likely. Going to either be someone like Jay Gamble that they lure out of retirement or an up and comer Operations Manager from another ski area that wants a chance at a GM role.
Agree. Only suggested b/c Day announced he's retiring, so would technically fit the profile. Might not want to jump right back in immediately though.

Killingtime

Gotta be tough to be in the middle of a very competitive NH market while on life support (Dan Egan's term). Kind of hoping they would go Indy so I could throw it in the mix when visiting Waterville and Cannon. Based on comments in the latest Storm Skiing podcast that does not look likely because they don't want to share ticket revenue. I stopped by in February and the parking lot wasn't crowded, no lift lines at all. Come to think of it I don't think I ever saw anyone get on a lift. Maybe it was late, about 1:30. The bar does good business though with a very large group of snowmobiles parked across the lot. Interestingly, Tenney is not listed on the SkiNH.com website. I guess when you fall off the radar it's not easy to get back on.

JDMRoma

So yes its confirmed Dan Egan is gone, no longer with Tenney.
will be interesting to see how they do in the off season !