• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2006 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge: PATS PEAK

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some questions concerning POP.

That program is great. The price is still reasonable for what is offered, but last season saw a sharp increase in price ($23 to $29). That results in a big increase for two or even four people to ski or ride. Was this increase due to the fact that the overall day rate really can't go up much more for what is offered (700 vert, 23 trails)?

As to the quality of the nightskiing terrain, in 2004 I asked Kris if he would consider closing runs and doing a quick groom to insure top conditions. This is done at Wachusett, Gunstock, and Stowe. Two of these resorts are direct competitors of yours. I think that the grooming before/during night sessions would help the clientele who come to POP (mainly novices or those who get out a couple times a season) while justifying the increased price. And to be honest, when we were passholders, we rarely came at night because the snow was better in the AM and because at night things got downright treacherous due to the volume of traffic from the daysessions. Any reconsideration for next season?

I'm also wondering what trail(s) will be next to get lights?

Does Pats Peak own a winchcat? If not, how is Hurricane and other steep terrain groomed?

snobababunny

I skiied Pat's Peak in college at St. A's years back - fun place. St. Anselm college is so close & yet there was never any deals for the St A's kids to come & ski at Pat's Peak (at least there wasn't when I was there). There's a bunch of kids who would come if the price fit into the college kids budget. Just a thought.

thetrailboss

Staff member
snobababunny said:
I skiied Pat's Peak in college at St. A's years back - fun place. St. Anselm college is so close & yet there was never any deals for the St A's kids to come & ski at Pat's Peak (at least there wasn't when I was there). There's a bunch of kids who would come if the price fit into the college kids budget. Just a thought.

GREAT question considering that St. A's races at Pat's and that there is a deal between NE College and Pat's that involves free season passes to NEC students.

AdironRider

Yeah but NEC's tuition is wicked high for the academics they provide. Id hope a ski pass came with that.

hammer

Repeat of question from last year's challenge:

Would it be possible to change the line going into the Valley double lift? Making the 180 degree turn into the enclosed area can be a bit awkward, especially for less experienced skiers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
GREAT answers. I know that in talking with the crew at Pats Peak that they really like the input and they put it to work. Thanks Lori and Kris! :beer:

Vortex

I was impressed. Also my direction was to get us a deal as a group, not me. I sent and e-mail to that effect. This passes SusanD answers as the best I have seen since I have been viewing them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, I have heard many good things about this challenge....thanks again to everyone! :beer:

ga2ski

ga2ski said:
As a member of the Monday Night Race League, I often wondered why Hurricane is not open for night skiing. It looks like a great trail and is already partially lit for the chairlift. Plus it would make for some nice night bump skiing under the lift and add one trail for racing, training, or free skiing on the groomed side. Any plans to open it at night?

I liked the renovations at Pat's . .. . hmmm who was it that suggested that Hurricane become a night bump trail????:daffy: :beer: :spread:

I can't wait to finally ski the trail.

roark

Hmmm, don't know how I missed this last time. The opening of Hurricane for night skiing is a huge imrpovement for night skiing at Pat's, especially since Twister and FIS are often closed for racing on weekday nights. As a Monday night racer I'm thrilled since I usually can't make it to Pat's before the bell, so I've yet to ski Hurricane. It was always frustrating riding the triple over a very appealing well covered partially lit trail at dusk, especially given what Mother Nature gave us last season. We frequently had this discussion on the ride up. Until this point Cyclone was the only interesting terrain open as a warm up on race nights for most folks. Kudos Pat's.

Vortex

This place just listens to the patrons and reacts. They get customer service and the traditional Ne ski feel. Props again. I think I'll try this place.:wink: I 'm here because of the original responses to the AZ challenge a few years ago.:beer: