• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

djd66

I'll be in Aspen the 24th-31st. Hopefully the "Slug Effect" will bring some snow.

Funny I have had a connection in Aspen and been going there multiple times since the 70's. As you say there are all sorts of famous and wealthy people supposedly all over the place but I've only ever seen one. Martina Navratilova. But for all the reputations I have never felt out of place in Aspen. Great town to walk around and plenty of places to eat and drink. Still to this day my overall favorite resort.
I've skied all over on my own and with wife and kids,... we always end up comparing it to Aspen/Snowmass - it is truly my favorite.

I was just there in February, nothing like flying in and being at your hotel condo in 15 minutes (on this past trip from the time we touched down to the time we checked in it was 45 minutes - super smooth!

My wife and I are talking about going there for a month next season, we just need to figure out how we can get there with our dog.(and find a dog friendly place)

kingslug

Thursday about 5 inches...it's been warm with cold nights...didn't turn anything into real ice..just hardback....hardback moguls do tend to wipe you out after 5 days in a row.

4aprice

Because you’re here!
Hey if it works let it ride. I'm looking forward to its effects in Aspen. Question is, is he still in Utah next week when I show up or not?

Actually saw a snow forecast map and looks like Winter Park and Steamboat are about to get nailed just before I get there. (Little Granby too)

thetrailboss

Staff member
So my Deer Valley mix, as expected, was mixed. The experience was not worth the $299 lift ticket price, and was not up to par with how it was pre-Alterra. I will share some pics later.

In sum, the day started out with bad service. The staff always carried your skis from your car. No more. I had a 10-minute wait for one of three ticket agents. Even on slow days they would NEVER allow for a line that long. When I approached to use 1 of my 2 Wasatch Days on my Alta-Bird Pass, I was met with a raised voice and a finger pointed at me by the agent. "You only get ONE day." Now, her nametag said that she was originally from the Bronx, but this is DEER VALLEY. The agent beside her quickly corrected her. No apology given for the rude greeting.

There were lines on pretty much every lift. Now were they long? No. But this was a random Monday in March. Apparently it was spring break for Texas and other states. The crowd has changed--younger, more entitled, ruder overall. On several chairs, folks would be paired up with me since I was single only to hesitate and abandon me to ride up solo. Fine. I see that kind of stupid shit on holidays--folks don't like sharing chairs. I saw two people straight lining down Edgar's Alley at a high rate of speed and out of control imitating ski racers and hooting and hollering. Again, not what one would ever see at DV before. A number of chairs and towers now are "tagged" with stickers. Lift Ops always would take those off ASAP.

All the glades that I checked were east coast style--bad bump runs with trees. I did Centennial around noon and found the worst bumps and most tracked out that I have ever seen it. My favorite Daly Chutes were closed due to high winds, but Daly Bowl was decent and only slightly more tracked out than the pre-IKON days.

Lots of buzz about the expansion. One question I was asked was if it would increase crowds or spread folks out. Hard telling.

The new Burns Express is a beautiful lift but a waste of a HSQ. Lots of lessons--both group and private. The retail outlets used to have nice quality brands with the logo. Now they are carrying cheap private label stuff.

Snowmonster first took me to Deer Valley in March 2012. He insisted that we go as he was on a mission to ski all the "skier only" places in the U.S. The window rate then was about $125 and I grimaced. But, like my 2006 experience with trying Stratton, I kept an open mind. Though the conditions were decent, we had a great experience. Since then, I made a point to get back there when I could. In 2013 I bought six DV tickets from a fundraiser for the Utah Avalanche Center intent on going with my wife. She tore her ACL and I used each of those six days visiting here and there, exploring the nooks and crannies, and getting to know folks. I felt truly welcomed. I quickly learned that management set the tone of welcoming everyone with impeccable attention to detail. That kindness trickled down to everyone. Previously, it was the one place I skied where pretty much 99% of the chair rides were pleasant. In 2013-2014 we started getting "free days" with our Alta/Bird passes and even then the folks were welcoming. I loved going back and seeing familiar faces running the lifts (the "Tan Man" with the glacier glasses on Quincy Express or Margie at the Retail Store). They are all gone now.

The conditions overall were slightly better than my previous post-IKON visits, but it's not like it was. I talked with a few locals who worked there or had homes there. All agreed that "it's not the same." The lodges and restrooms were not as well-kept. The restrooms had no paper towels, broken soap dispensers, and trash on the floor. It's all about the $$$$ now.

It is natural that the retired folks who had homes there now 12 years ago when I visited would have stopped skiing, died, or faded away. That's to be expected. But the staff did not exude the positive energy that I once felt and came to expect. And, as subtle as it was, it impacted the atmosphere and the crowd. Instead of humble "old" money folks, I was constantly seeing rude, entitled, and dumb "new money" being flaunted. That always was at Park City Mountain Resort and not at DV.

When IKON came out and Alterra bought DV, locals got upset with the crowding and the rapid decline of "the brand". I've said it before here--when DV lost its charm and its level of service that made it distinct it became just another ski area. I reminisced a lot about my previous times there and how I was fortunate to see and experience the "real" Deer Valley for a few years. It's pretty much gone now (hell, the marketing that I have seen no longer promote the "attention to detail" level of service).

So enjoy your still-discounted multi-mountain IKON passes. As I have said before, there IS a cost to those discounted passes and here it is service, charm, and uniqueness.

Alterra still sucks.

4aprice

I have never been that big a fan of DV, pre or post Alterra take over. To me its Colorado skiing in Utah and I can do better Colorado skiing in Colorado. I mean there are definitely a lot of nice things there. Certainly the food is good (one time had a meal at Steins Lodge and that was really good). Empire Canyon can be a lot of fun and I have caught some good times in the woods but overall I find it a little less then its reputation. And one of my pet peeves is how at the top of the two main peaks multiple main lifts all end at the same place and its like going through Times Square on your way to a run. My current plan is to skip it this upcoming trip and stay on the front side

Good news to me is that it sounds like "Texas Ski Week" will be over before I get there.

jimmywilson69

It always sounded like a pretentious rich person's playground. like do I really need someone to carry my skis, no I don't. Is someone being rude at the ticket window unacceptable, ALWAYS. I get that maybe a lot of people liked the pretentiousness of the place, but frankly that's not my scene. I've never been there, or anywhere in Utah, but I'd probably put it 4th or 5th on the places I'd like to visit.

abc

Like all ski mountains, condition make or break the experience. DV, and for that matter, PC, loses out on that compared with its neighbors over in Cottonwood Canyon. That is, if you can get to it after the storm.

As for Colorado skiing in Utah, well, sometimes the snow hits Utah and sometimes Colorado. So what’s wrong with skiing Utah over/under Colorado? It’s a lot closer to the airport, with no altitude issues. I’d happily ski Colorado in Utah!

It’s not like Colorado is a cheaper than Utah. :unsure:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Deer Valley - all the pretension, none of the terrain.

It always sounded like a pretentious rich person's playground. like do I really need someone to carry my skis, no I don't. Is someone being rude at the ticket window unacceptable, ALWAYS. I get that maybe a lot of people liked the pretentiousness of the place, but frankly that's not my scene. I've never been there, or anywhere in Utah, but I'd probably put it 4th or 5th on the places I'd like to visit.

I used to think, and assume, the same thing. But I was completely wrong. It was a great, friendly place prior to the sale.

kingslug

Hey if it works let it ride. I'm looking forward to its effects in Aspen. Question is, is he still in Utah next week when I show up or not?

Actually saw a snow forecast map and looks like Winter Park and Steamboat are about to get nailed just before I get there. (Little Granby too)
I'll be in aspen 23rd to 30th

BenedictGomez

There were lines on pretty much every lift. Now were they long? No. But this was a random Monday in March. Apparently it was spring break for Texas and other states. The crowd has changed--younger, more entitled, ruder overall.... I did Centennial around noon and found the worst bumps and most tracked out that I have ever seen it.

Those crowds weren't from Texans and other out-of-staters on ski vacation, it was all local Salt Lake City kids.

Surely you misidentified them.