• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

jimk

Sandy or draper probably...will know more when we go march 6 to look around.
There are some big, beautiful homes in the hills around that LDS Temple in Draper. BUT, a friend from Ohio who's lived in UT for 40 years was recently explaining some interesting local real estate knowledge. There is quite a mark-up for living near a Temple because it's considered desirable/prestigious for the LDS to live close to one of their big temples.

snoseek

There are some big, beautiful homes in the hills around that LDS Temple in Draper. BUT, a friend from Ohio who's lived in UT for 40 years was recently explaining some interesting local real estate knowledge. There is quite a mark-up for living near a Temple because it's considered desirable/prestigious for the LDS to live close to one of their big temples.
There's really good mtb on those hills as well.

BenedictGomez

There is quite a mark-up for living near a Temple because it's considered desirable/prestigious for the LDS to live close to one of their big temples.

I first heard this last year & was fascinated by it, because I love economics and because it sounded so illogical. So I looked into it, and best I can tell it's basically urban Utah legend mixed with some legitimate propaganda. If you Google this, you will find myriad sources saying it's true that LDS temples increase home prices, but without any backup or supporting evidence. AFAICT, it seems to emanate from the LDS Church itself. Why? Dunno, but one explanation I thought is it's to make it easier for them to build these absolutely massive, institutional looking boxes lit up like a star at night, if the locals think they'll get a positive economic financial interest from it. For instance, Cody, WY, and Heber City, UT have been trying to fight temples recently, and in both cases I hear this "but your home will be worth more" argument.

In any event, there probably is some truth to it I bet, but correlation does not equal causation. For instance, you could likely just as successfully argue being near "Starbucks construction" leads to increased home prices. Places where people are moving to tend to be places where the economics are improving, and you tend to get things like new coffee shops, grocery stores, and churches, and then property values tend to increase soon after in lagging fashion. The only real study I could find was out of the University of Nebraska testing home prices post LDS temple construction in Missouri (Missouri is a big deal for LDS), and they found no increase resultant from the temple build.

Last edited:

kingslug

Hoping to find something within an hour from the airport and park city.
Will have to get used to traffic again...one thing we don't have in vt...

KustyTheKlown

I first heard this last year & was fascinated by it, because I love economics and because it sounded so illogical. So I looked into it, and best I can tell it's basically urban Utah legend mixed with some legitimate propaganda. If you Google this, you will find myriad sources saying it's true that LDS temples increase home prices, but without any backup or supporting evidence. AFAICT, it seems to emanate from the LDS Church itself. Why? Dunno, but one explanation I thought is it's to make it easier for them to build these absolutely massive, institutional looking boxes lit up like a star at night, if the locals think they'll get a positive economic financial interest from it. For instance, Cody, WY, and Heber City, UT have been trying to fight temples recently, and in both cases I hear this "but your home will be worth more" argument.

In any event, there probably is some truth to it I bet, but correlation does not equal causation. For instance, you could likely just as successfully argue being near "Starbucks construction" leads to increased home prices. Places where people are moving to tend to be places where the economics are improving, and you tend to get things like new coffee shops, grocery stores, and churches, and then property values tend to increase soon after in lagging fashion. The only real study I could find was out of the University of Nebraska testing home prices post LDS temple construction in Missouri (Missouri is a big deal for LDS), and they found no increase resultant from the temple build.

this is a funny post after the “ikon causes crowding” series of posts.

snoseek

I got iy all out of the way in my 20's, 30's and 40's while I was young. Its great out there for sure but I'm gonna grow old and die back east and am perfectly ok with that. NH is home.

jimk

Totally understand the love for New England. My parents both came from the Boston area. But you must understand, I skied 50 years in the mid-Atlantic before I got the family connection and started skiing Utah frequently. For me it's heaven despite the increasing crowds. Today is the first sunny day after a one foot snow storm. Heading out shortly. It could be busy, but I don't expect huge crowds. A lot of powder fiends are satiated by this point in the season and the many local Ikoners are running low on days that they can use at places like Snowbird.
You know it's been a good month when I've used my fattest skis more than any others.

abc

many local Ikoners are running low on days that they can use at places like Snowbird.
They’d better be. The out of town herd is only beginning to come in! March is spring break. I remember back in the days when I was a student I would fly out to the Rockies during spring break and jammed in 9 days of skiing! It was good skiing. It felt crowded even then, though not unbearably so.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A lot of powder fiends are satiated by this point in the season and the many local Ikoners are running low on days that they can use at places like Snowbird.
Well, when there are about 60,000 local IKON passes (that is no joke), and Snowbird has abandoned the local day ticket and even season pass market for "IKON Days", I would not be so sure. Historically, things quiet down after President's Week, but there is no more normal.

I am ready for the aggro driving in the rush to get a parking spot at Snowbird to stop. Last weekend I was behind a Lexus sedan that literally drove DOWN the white dotted line at the initial merge on SR-210 so that NOBODY would merge and get in front of him. When he moved to the right lane, I proceeded forward and was met with a horn and a middle finger by the driver of the Lexus who once again pulled right back onto the white dotted line. I later passed him on a climbing lane and then watched him cruise into the ALTA WILDCAT lot which is all reservation based. I don't know what he thought he was gaining. I'm also sick of the Sprinter Van army, most of which have local Utah plates. YOU DON'T NEED A SPRINTER VAN TO GO DAY SKIING.

/rant

Last edited: