• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

IMG_6886.jpegIMG_6880.jpeg
Freakin awesome day. Deep fresh shots all day. I was asked to help with sweeps and that end of the day run through on-the-map glades still had plenty of pow shots. End of day patrol discussion was 16-20”. IN APRIL! Open all weekend, grand finale. Get it now or regret it all summer!

The glade shot is looking up one of the steepest and tightest glades. This was mid afternoon. Note lack of tracks. That’ll be sweet tomorrow morning.

JoeB-Z

Really lovely snow. Light enough and a pleasure. My VT place is much lower and fluffy snow is still falling. Maybe a fill in?

urungus

Great day today, soft snow everywhere … only running Black but waited 5 chairs max so far … 100% open except for Pitch Black and Black Magic

IMG_8908.jpeg

Smellytele

While not as nice as it looked the other day. I had a great day today at Magic. With both lifts(red/black) it skied great. Magician was a fun time. All upper/ mid mountain glades were skied well. Black line was nice and soft. Lower 1/3rd of mountain started slightly firm but softened up.
Probably the 2nd best day in the east this year after cannon a few weeks ago for me.
Did I say I love the terrain at magic?

urungus

Was so good yesterday I went back again today. For first time ever got Meg’s chair, the pink and blue “cotton candy” chair #16, then on my next run I got it for a second time - what are the odds ?

From the web: Meg was a Magic Mountain Race team athlete who died in her sleep training with Stratton Mountain School in South America in September 2012 at age 16. She had undiagnosed "Long QT syndrome", a rare heart condition.

IMG_8964.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

I had fun at Magic Saturday and skied bell to bell but I was definitely bummed that the snow had cycled and the lower 2/3 skied kinda not awesome. Should have gone someplace higher elevation.

Today at Stratton was a world of difference. Really soft edgable snow in in the woods and things that hadn’t been skied already still skied light and pow-ish. Nice to ski Stratton with a solid chunk of ungroomed terrain in addition to the woods. Great weekend for April!

Hillwalker95

I had fun at Magic Saturday and skied bell to bell but I was definitely bummed that the snow had cycled and the lower 2/3 skied kinda not awesome. Should have gone someplace higher elevation.

Today at Stratton was a world of difference. Really soft edgable snow in in the woods and things that hadn’t been skied already still skied light and pow-ish. Nice to ski Stratton with a solid chunk of ungroomed terrain in addition to the woods. Great weekend for April!
I was there too - thought generally very good, but there was a massive water hole at the bottom of Heart of Magician. Anyhow was happy overall - any skiing in April feels like a bonus after the way things have gone

skithetrees

Skiing was amazing this weekend. All pictures taken Saturday afternoon. Best weekend out east I have had in a while. Skied black magic first thing Saturday morning and it was the best I remember in a decade. Quickly looked like it got skied off, but that first run was great. Talisman skied great both days with soft bumps up top and smooth run out perfect for some big carved turns. Glad to see the crowds—they got a great close to the season. What a long weekend.

682FDEAD-D27A-4C10-9469-AE47E35D68D0.jpeg

0EB3514B-A43C-4E42-94D9-A7BEFC2A4E9C.jpegDC63C10D-40FD-4DA6-926D-A1D84458F3B3.jpeg

ne_skier

How about this for the last day of the season?
1712543728618.png
Got sticky towards the end of the day (Sat) but can't ask for more in April, especially after the season we'd been having until 2 weeks ago. Awesome skiing no matter if it was bumps, groomers, fresh-ish powder on Pitch Black/Black Magic, etc. Didn't really need two summit lifts, but nice to see them run Red as well to make the east side a little more accessible. I imagine with their full peak season staff lineup they'll be able to have all 3 lifts running without stretching themselves too thin. No more lines and no more disastrous lift breakdowns. Here's to a good offseason for another good season to come.

KustyTheKlown

How about this for the last day of the season?
View attachment 62494
Got sticky towards the end of the day (Sat) but can't ask for more in April, especially after the season we'd been having until 2 weeks ago. Awesome skiing no matter if it was bumps, groomers, fresh-ish powder on Pitch Black/Black Magic, etc. Didn't really need two summit lifts, but nice to see them run Red as well to make the east side a little more accessible. I imagine with their full peak season staff lineup they'll be able to have all 3 lifts running without stretching themselves too thin. No more lines and no more disastrous lift breakdowns. Here's to a good offseason for another good season to come.

I have a weird personal ocd about completeness

IMG_7315.png

slatham

Yes a full-on day - impressive (and probably painful in a good way). My point was there was still terrain left on the table. It’s not possible to ski it all in a day, especially given tree stashes.

KustyTheKlown

Ah ya. Not much but yea. I didn’t go past slide of hans and there’s woods next to trick I skipped on both sides. Prob a few more I don’t even know. That tree line before magician is a new one for me and was a doozy!

Pretty sure there’s a good drop in on wizard along the top that I missed too

IMG_7303.jpeg

Stratton did almost everything but in less time. Much faster chairs. Onlu skipped lower mountain basically

IMG_7317.png

chuckstah

I had a great day Friday. Sixteen runs I think, didn't track. Great snow up high, but it did get moist on the lower third. Hit the good stuff early, then blew out an edge on Green line. After that, rocks really didn't matter. I now own yet another pair of rock skis. And no good ones. Time to shop.

zoomzoom

am wondering what the download capacity of the black lift is? this would be supplied in the design package.

iirc, most lifts can easily be qualified for 10% { every 10th chair fully loaded downhill } because it takes about 17% to drive an empty lift. with only a 10% load, there would be no chance of forward overhauling. that would be passengers on the downhill side accelerating out of control, and you don't want that. if the lift is designed for even a small download capacity, it would need to be approved by the design engineer and proven by dynamic testing. you'd need to prove the lift can adequately start, control and stop this lower capacity in both directions using the different drive modes. with a regen drive, this is no problem under electric drive on both uphill and downhill directions. I assume the APU has already been proven for 110% uphill, so you'd need to demonstrate it for whatever capacity is assumed is ok on the downhill side. this can be dicey on a used engine, but the load capacity that you desire can be approached incrementally. you need existing brakes and braking surfaces in great condition for this testing. : )

anyhow, once the downhill capacity of the lift is determined you'd need to promise that the line speed would be dropped during loading, construct an unload deck as needed and put up signage. then you can have mountaintop events for the public, likely recouping any expenses in a year or two. like for the next eclipse maybe.

RustyGroomer

Incredible way to wrap things up. Great year i'd say. Slow start strong finish. What ever happened to MidnightJester? Curious about his 1st Magic experience.

Some of us just couldn't let go & there was something happening in the sky yesterday.
LastDay24.jpgLastDay24-4.jpgLastDay24-2.jpgLastDay24-3.jpg