• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/28 - 10/29 Storm Discussion Thread

i dont think we are going to get squat in the jerz even the north in sussex. no way to do vt because i have two openings this week and have to get ready for the holloween blowout on friday.

Up by Mountain Creek you might get some but it's even warmer there than the Poconos..

8-16 inches possible in the dacks..boner city!!!! Maybe somebody will lay first tracks on the new run at Whiteface..

powderfreak

Scott... any thoughts on snow fall estimates for the Whites? Or is this a Dacks/Greens event specifically?

I'm trying to digest information from the day but it looks like the 12z and 18z guidance moved this 25-50 miles west. Its looking like a Catskill to Adirondacks crusher now. I'd expect very little to the east of the Green Mtns.

Upslope snow once the storm passes still looks favorable along the Green Mtn snowbelt (Sugarbush to Jay) and in the northern Adirondacks.

I honestly think Whiteface could see two feet out of this.

-Scott

bvibert

Staff member
I know CT isn't going to get mush out of this, but this from the local forecast for tomorrow evening has me excited:

snow.gif

Likely Snow

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm trying to digest information from the day but it looks like the 12z and 18z guidance moved this 25-50 miles west. Its looking like a Catskill to Adirondacks crusher now. I'd expect very little to the east of the Green Mtns.

Upslope snow once the storm passes still looks favorable along the Green Mtn snowbelt (Sugarbush to Jay) and in the northern Adirondacks.

I honestly think Whiteface could see two feet out of this.

-Scott
Word, thanks for the update. Looks like a Thursday vacation day after the snow has stopped falling for a full day attack on Jay. Happy birthday to me one day early.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Looks like the forcast for the dacks is moderateing and the forccast for the greens is getting better....

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
From what I am reading, including what Sharon said on WCAX last night......the DAKS are going to the brunt of this one. A WINTER STORM WATCH is not a big deal......if it goes to a WARNING, then you batten down the hatches. Everyone seems to be forgetting that the ground is still warm. Even in the valley's here in northern Vermont it will probably mostly be a rain event today, turn to snow. According to NOAA, above 3000' could be 4" to 8".

Having said that a decent snow event in October is unusual for the last 10 years or so.

Last edited:

powderfreak

That's strange....From what people say around here, I would have thought only Jay, Stowe, MRG and Sugarbush get dumps that big. ;-)

Haha, well that's how it usually works out. I grew up a seasons pass holder at Gore and Whiteface and I can honestly say it does not snow as much over there as it does in the northern Greens year in and year out. Never done extended time in NH so I can't really make my own opinion ;)

drjeff

NY, PA are feeling the love: :snow:

inmaSIRNH_.gif

Just need to get that Low to want to check out Cape Cod rather than the CT River Valley to get the Greens and Whites actively involved on the "good" side of this storm :)

Atleast the town where I live came through yesterday with the giant shop vac truck and cleaned out the storm drains on my street, so atleast for the 1st 30 minutes of the storm, some water will flow into them until they get the great wall of leaves again :rolleyes: