• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/28 - 10/29 Storm Discussion Thread

powderfreak

RECORD REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
547 PM EDT WED OCT 29 2008

...RECORD DAILY SNOWFALL ATOP MOUNT MANSFIELD VERMONT...

12 INCHES OF SNOW FELL ATOP MOUNT MANSFIELD VERMONT TODAY. THIS
SHATTERS THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 4 INCHES SET BACK IN 2006.

I'll take it! Spoke to a contact at the mountain (Stowe/Mansfield) and it was still snowing steadily up there as of 530pm. Upslope looks like it could continue for a while tonight. Heading to Stowe in the morning to make sure this NWS report is official, haha.

-Scott

ps: Radar image below shows good ol' Green Mtn spine upslope snow at 7pm.

Moe Ghoul

An epic beginning to an epic season, how sweet has this been the past 48 hours? Hardly a mention of a BM, gas, TP, meals, etc. This board is getting refocused!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on all those that got it and are getting it done this week to celebrate some October turns.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
RECORD REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
547 PM EDT WED OCT 29 2008

...RECORD DAILY SNOWFALL ATOP MOUNT MANSFIELD VERMONT...

12 INCHES OF SNOW FELL ATOP MOUNT MANSFIELD VERMONT TODAY. THIS
SHATTERS THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 4 INCHES SET BACK IN 2006.

I'll take it! Spoke to a contact at the mountain (Stowe/Mansfield) and it was still snowing steadily up there as of 530pm. Upslope looks like it could continue for a while tonight. Heading to Stowe in the morning to make sure this NWS report is official, haha.

-Scott

ps: Radar image below shows good ol' Green Mtn spine upslope snow at 7pm.

+1

JD

Website
hotmail.com
What a great storm. The vast majority of us had the oppertunity and I'm really stoked for Greg and others to break out of his normal comfort zone. Stoked for the southern brethren! Maybe one or two of you will keep an eye out for some deals on touring gear. I was thinking about New England skiing...and it really breaks down to 3 seasons. The first one is now. Early season hiking of closed areas, lost ski areas and closed trails in open ski areas. Once all the lift served terrain opens up, that dream is largely over. Then we wait for the magic 40 inches to fill in and we start another season. Woods and natural Mtns. Finally, there is spring skiing with soft bumps, warm temps, and lot parties...this season I commonly refer to Kayaking season. ;)
I really like this part the best. Everyone is pumped and we get to ski fields of powder. Big, open, fast, casual, western style turns. Don't get me wrong, I'll be skiing the crap out of the woods, but right now, seeing old friends on the slopes, everyone shredding in shocked disbelief of how good October can be to those who know and are willing to pay to play is special. Also, I love the climb. Inspecting the snow pack with thwacks from your pole, traversing the hill figuring out where the deepest swaths will be, admiring and reliving turns from the last lap and the seemingly endless anticipation of just how sick the next run is gonna be.....I love skiing!
ps
pardon the touchy feely vibe, but the Mtns are my church and I feel the love!
So....when's the next storm rolling in????

What a great storm. The vast majority of us had the oppertunity and I'm really stoked for Greg and others to break out of his normal comfort zone. Stoked for the southern brethren! Maybe one or two of you will keep an eye out for some deals on touring gear. I was thinking about New England skiing...and it really breaks down to 3 seasons. The first one is now. Early season hiking of closed areas, lost ski areas and closed trails in open ski areas. Once all the lift served terrain opens up, that dream is largely over. Then we wait for the magic 40 inches to fill in and we start another season. Woods and natural Mtns. Finally, there is spring skiing with soft bumps, warm temps, and lot parties...this season I commonly refer to Kayaking season. ;)
I really like this part the best. Everyone is pumped and we get to ski fields of powder. Big, open, fast, casual, western style turns. Don't get me wrong, I'll be skiing the crap out of the woods, but right now, seeing old friends on the slopes, everyone shredding in shocked disbelief of how good October can be to those who know and are willing to pay to play is special. Also, I love the climb. Inspecting the snow pack with thwacks from your pole, traversing the hill figuring out where the deepest swaths will be, admiring and reliving turns from the last lap and the seemingly endless anticipation of just how sick the next run is gonna be.....I love skiing!
ps

One of BigK's friends said November 10th..nice use of words JD..you're totally legit!!!

bvibert

Staff member
ps

If we got that kind of pre-season lover down here more often I'd hike more often. That storm was a pretty rare occurrence for this far south. Most of the time early season turns are a good 4+ hours drive (each way) from here. It's hard for me to justify driving that much and being away from my family for a few sloppy runs. Maybe when my kids are older we'll be able to head out as a family and nab some of the early season goodness. That would be awesome!

Greg

Staff member
If we got that kind of pre-season lover down here more often I'd hike more often. That storm was a pretty rare occurrence for this far south. Most of the time early season turns are a good 4+ hours drive (each way) from here. It's hard for me to justify driving that much and being away from my family for a few sloppy runs. Maybe when my kids are older we'll be able to head out as a family and nab some of the early season goodness. That would be awesome!

Yep. A mere 2 hour drive for an October powder run was worth it for sure. That single run down Cliff still has me satisfied 2 days later. Almost felt like it was a dream and didn't really happen.

Glenn

It's looking like it may get a bit warmer this week. :???: