• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Opening Drill at Your Home Mountain??

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, there has been a lot of discussion about pre-season and with good reason--it has finally gotten cold and it is snowing in some higher summit areas.

So what is your mountain's opening routine? On opening day, which runs are open and which lifts? Good suggestions? :idea: I'm especially interested in Cannon and Sunapee.

Here is what I know:

Burke: Opens usually the first weekend in December. Used to open the POMA slope/Lower Warren's Way first before opening Upper Willoughby and Lower Bear Den to connect to the POMA slope and get the quad running. Lately they have been going for top to bottom focusing much of their efforts on Lower Mountain. I think we can expect some snowmaking and efforts to get the lower mountain going considering the renovations at the lodge and the new HSQ.

Sugarbush: Mt Ellen Summit Area. Need I say more? The usual drill is to get the Summit Quad going and some nice runs up there served by an upload on the GMX to Glen House. First day will usually feature the Rim Run-Elbow-Spread Eagle run with the next effort to get the entire Rim Run trail going before working on the lower liftline trail, FIS, and Exterminator. This pod of trails, both early and late season, is very entertaining IMHO :beer: The next effort usually is to get the GMX going by connecting the blues from Glen House to the base and then working on Inverness and the Sunnyside Double. May have changed because of the new terrain park. In 2002 they were rocking on Ellen pretty early :D

Jay Peak: My BEST opening day ever would have to be the 2002 Opening of Jay--November 9th on Stateside with some natural snow runs going! :eek: Their usual drill is to blow snow after three consecutive days of below freezing temps. Plan on Jet, Derrick Hotshot, and Haines dishing some steep cruising. Some will attempt to hit the trees, but don't plan on it. I personally love Stateside--my kind of terrain--steep fall-line. They will run the Queens Highway T-Bar as well during opening day which is good for a warm-up. From here, the mountain turns their efforts to opening Northway and extend opening terrain in the Bonaventure area and to the 'Freezer to get Tramside going. Then Tram runs and Can Am before going back to Stateside. Thanksgiving 2002 we were skiing off of the GMF and it was great. Bill Stenger writes a great article every season about their snowmaking plans.

Attitash: They usually try to get an opening for Thanksgiving or the weekend of the holiday. Usual drill that I've seen and done (in 2001) is to open one run from the HSQ on the main mountain down Grandstand and Ptarmigan (I think) to the base before pushing to the top of the mountain. Last season they were delayed like everyone else :roll:

Pats Peak: Last season, our first there skiing opening day, they opened the Turbulence Triple with 'Whisper' the straight green running. Good cover. They also had the J-bar slope going (tubing park later in the season) and a narrow cat-track over to the Hurricane Triple. Tornado was the black they had opened off of the top and it was in good shape. It ran all the way down across the liftline and in front of the lodge. Decent skiing especially for novice or intermediates considering that you had the J-Bar and the Lower Mountain going.

Killington: Now top-to-bottom with the gondola and a loooonnggg run down the summit on Great Northern down to Rime and over to Snowdon and down. Can be crowded :x Glades Triple usually spins as well.

In all, the trend has been to go from top-to-bottom, as evidenced by Killington who used to 'truck' folks up to Canyon. No more I guess :( I never did it...just missed out...it is also important to point out that most places open intermediate and expert runs first (with the exception of Pats) so plan accordingly.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cannon: opens with the peabody quad servicing big link > mid ravine > low ravine. IE one route down. from my experience, cannon believes in completely covering a trail for the season before opening it, so they are slow to open additional terrain. after that, look for mid > low cannon to open and the brookside beginner area. i can't remember how they played tuckerbrook last year, they may have waited until they got the zoomer chair online. tram doesn't open until around xmas, later if it's a tough snow making year. summit trails are definitely last to open, look for tramway and upper ravine first when the summit opens. garys and rocket first on the front face then zoomer and avalanche last. essentially, the better trails wait the longest unless there is a big big dump. but like i said, cannon doesn't like to drop the rope until something is in mid-season form.

Charlie Schuessler

thetrailboss said:
Killington:...the trend has been to go from top-to-bottom, as evidenced by Killington who used to 'truck' folks up to Canyon. No more I guess :( I never did it...just missed out...

You didn't miss much...unruly adolescents mouthing off to anyone & everyone most of the time...

I miss riding the K-Chair and using the mid-station to open the season there...Goat Path to Cascade & Downdraft...when done ride the chair to the bottom or walk out...

stomachdoc

Waterville Valley

Opens November 19th with one or two trails off of the High Country lift, which means you have to ride the quad up and then ride the High Country (read SLOW) double. When you're done, you have to download back down the quad to the base (which, by the way, is a little freaky if you've never been on a lift the "wrong way).

Zand

Wachusett's past 3 routines:

2002: Open Conifer on November 8th with just the Polar Express turning and minimal coverage due to 2 days of snowmaking and Indian Summer (the weather phenomena... not the trail!).

2003: Open Conifer and Indian Summer on December 4th with Polar Express and Monadnock Triple turning and great coverage due to 5 consecutive days of snowmaking.

2004: Open Conifer and Challenger on December 6th with Polar Express and Minuteman Express turning and minimal coverage due to 36 hours of snowmaking followed by no snowmaking for 8 days due to constant mid 40s.

TRAILBOSS... Sunapee usually opens the Summit Express and Blast-Off. They usually throw in a beginner trail off of Clippership too. Typical opening is day after Turkey Day.

ga2ski

Sunday River:
Usual Lifts:South Ridge Quad (lift 2) and Spruce Triple (lift 8)
Usual Trails: American Express, Lower Lazy River, and broadway. Maybe Risky business.

Barker sometimes is open as well, with Ecstacy and sunday punch, and cascades.

Vortex

Loon Use to open the top area with Flying fox and Upper picked rock and use the the east basin chair with down loading to the base on the Gondola.
The opening dates has been moved back a few weeks so it has been Picked rock top to bottom. Last year they had to wait a couple of days to open the Gondola because it was boken and just used the Kanc quad.

I will be at Wateville's opening date. Its a quick run, but still fun to get out.I enjoy the view while down loading.

RuffusCorncobb

ga2ski said:
Sunday River:
Usual Lifts:South Ridge Quad (lift 2) and Spruce Triple (lift 8)
Usual Trails: American Express, Lower Lazy River, and broadway. Maybe Risky business.

Barker sometimes is open as well, with Ecstacy and sunday punch, and cascades.

I'm pretty sure its Risky Buisness first then American Express but maybe they will do it differnetly this year just to make me wrong as usual. What ever trail goes first I can hardly wait.

dmc

Hunter will open when they get enough snow... they have an opening date on the schedule but they will open earlier(or later) depending on the weather...

I like the fact that they don't get into the whole "who opens first" thing... And are realistic about opening...

It's usually Hellgate>Broadway>Kennedy(HBK) open..
A couple years ago they opened down to the F Lift and closed the bottom of the mountain... After they get HBK covered they move onto Belt Parkway so the intermediates have a way to get down without having to ski bumps on Hellgate... Also been blowing early on the Hunter One area for beginners to enjoy early turns...

It does get crowded - until things spread out and other mountains start to open...

kcyanks1

Gore has had various traditions...

A while back (15+ years?), they would open the Sunway double chair to the top of the lift (it has a midstation), and you would ski down 3B and whatever differently-named trails it feeds into.

Then one year they opened up the [old] Gondola to the top, with Cloud and Headwaters to the Straightbrook chair. You would take the Gondola down at the end of the day.

Then until the new Gondola was put in, they would open the Triple Chair. At the beginning they would open Showcase, but then the changed and opened up Sunway-Quicksilver-3B-Sleighride-Teaching Hill, or something like that. They probably had a few different combinations of trails open from the lift.

One year they had a big natural snow storm early on and opened up some skiing at the topic including some expert stuff (Hawkeye, Chatiemac). I think this was from the beginning of the season, but perhaps it was a week into the season.

Then in recent years I think they have opened up the new Gondola, and last year I think they had some upper mountain skiing on either the Top Ridge or Straight brook chair(s). Since I am now homeless, as per the other thread, I don't know for sure :)

Historically they would always open the Saturday after Thanksgiving, though maybe around 10 years ago or so they began opening up the Saturday before Thanksgiving weather permitting.

Hope this rambling post makes some sense and has some accuracy :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
So updating this thread...seems to be no surprises out there yet according to tradition.

Oh yeah...

Bretton Woods: As of late, season openings have been some freebies on the Learning Meadow area and Quad first before going to the Bethleham HSQ with one run down. I don't know from there...

Zand

1. Bretton Woods opened with their Learning Center as usual and Waterville will be open with High Country tomorrow, normal. Opening Day: Saturday, November 12th.

2. Woodbury opened their patch before everyone else. Normal. Opening Day: Monday, November 14th.

3 and T-4. As far as I know, Sunday River and Sugarloaf's openings and appeared to be around their scheduled dates. Opening Day: Thursday, November 17th (Sunday River) and Friday, November 18th (Sugarloaf).

T-4. Okemo did it a bit weird, mainly due to warm temps during snowmaking. Usually, they open up a couple of top-to-bottom runs as well as a run off the Sachem Quad and Glades Peak Quad to Buckhorn. Opening Day: Friday, November 18th.

T-6. Killington appears to be doing their typical routine, just a bit late. Gondola to the top with Great Northern open to the K1 base, some trails in the North Ridge and a couple of runs on Snowdon. (Re)Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-6. Waterville will be usuing their usual High Country runs on the summit with downloading. Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-6. Sugarbush appears to be doing their typical top half of Mount Ellen opening and around their predicted date. Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-9. Jiminy will probably open North Glade to the slingshots as well as Grand Slam for 2 runs from the 6-pack. They'll also open 180 for the beginners. Opening Day: Sunday, November 20th.

T-9. Wachusett will be usuing their usuals of Conifer off the summit and Challenger off of Minuteman, albeit a bit early, but we can't complain about that. Opening Day: Sunday, November 20th.

There's the lowdown and opening order so far, not including Wildcat and Killington's October openings, which were VERY abnormal.

Lostone

On Sugarbush the correction I would make is that they will try to open Northridge. They can still get good vertical without having to cover the bottom.

But the snow for the bottom usually comes down pretty quickly. :beer:

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
sunapee will make snow on upper and lower ridge then they will turn to Bonanza and Chipmunk. then Lynx and the the Wingdings. then to the south peak well thats what they normally do. they open with blacks and blues for abut the first two weeks.

well if thats not weird that i know all that!

JimG.

Staff member
Zand said:
1. Bretton Woods opened with their Learning Center as usual and Waterville will be open with High Country tomorrow, normal. Opening Day: Saturday, November 12th.

2. Woodbury opened their patch before everyone else. Normal. Opening Day: Monday, November 14th.

3 and T-4. As far as I know, Sunday River and Sugarloaf's openings and appeared to be around their scheduled dates. Opening Day: Thursday, November 17th (Sunday River) and Friday, November 18th (Sugarloaf).

T-4. Okemo did it a bit weird, mainly due to warm temps during snowmaking. Usually, they open up a couple of top-to-bottom runs as well as a run off the Sachem Quad and Glades Peak Quad to Buckhorn. Opening Day: Friday, November 18th.

T-6. Killington appears to be doing their typical routine, just a bit late. Gondola to the top with Great Northern open to the K1 base, some trails in the North Ridge and a couple of runs on Snowdon. (Re)Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-6. Waterville will be usuing their usual High Country runs on the summit with downloading. Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-6. Sugarbush appears to be doing their typical top half of Mount Ellen opening and around their predicted date. Opening Day: Saturday, November 19th.

T-9. Jiminy will probably open North Glade to the slingshots as well as Grand Slam for 2 runs from the 6-pack. They'll also open 180 for the beginners. Opening Day: Sunday, November 20th.

T-9. Wachusett will be usuing their usuals of Conifer off the summit and Challenger off of Minuteman, albeit a bit early, but we can't complain about that. Opening Day: Sunday, November 20th.

There's the lowdown and opening order so far, not including Wildcat and Killington's October openings, which were VERY abnormal.

Not surprised that Hunter was left off the list...opened on Sat, 11/19.

dmc

JimG. said:

Headed out to telemark right now... :)

JimG on Saturday..
Hunter_11-19-05_OpeningDay_JimG_1.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
JimG. said:

Headed out to telemark right now... :)

JimG on Saturday..
Hunter_11-19-05_OpeningDay_JimG_1.jpg

Enjoy! I'll be back up on Friday.

Thanks for the pic...it's now my screen saver.

Zand

JimG. said:

Sorry. I usually tend to talk about just New England. I think it'll be best to think about NY after tomorrow's storm though. :lol: