• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 'tourist' is back.

BeanoNYC

Powderhound21 said:
Most certainly.

Not going to stay at stowe the whole time. May spend one or two days on stowe's slopes. Plan to hit Jay, Smuggs, Stowe, Kmart, and one other. Not yet decided.

See if you can come up with a loose itinerary before you leave. We'd love to meet up, if possible.

madskier6

Powderhound21 said:
Most certainly.

Not going to stay at stowe the whole time. May spend one or two days on stowe's slopes. Plan to hit Jay, Smuggs, Stowe, Kmart, and one other. Not yet decided.

If you're going to be in that area and you're looking to hit another mountain, you have to consider MRG and Sugarbush as options. If you can only pick one, I'd go to MRG if there's great snow (oh, wait. Your avatar suggests you're a snowboarder. Scratch MRG then). You have to try Sugarbush, then. It's a lot closer to Stowe than going to K-Mart.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to K-Mart but I think it would be a shame for you to drive past Sugarbush to go to K-Mart and then not end up trying the Bush. Just my $.02.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
PH is a boarder, iirc, so mrg is out. if PH21 is set on driving south from stowe, which i can't quite understand given stowe, smuggs, and jay are all right there, i definitely think bush is a better chioce than kmart, and a heck of a lot closer to stowe as well. all depends what you like though.

TwinTips21

I think PH is looking to go to Killington because he's a boarder and Killington most likely has the best park out of any of those mountains. I'll stop talking for him now! Just my $.02

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
Powderhound is looking at the Sugarbush web site. I like it alot. Really, alot.

May scratch Killington? If I dont scratch kmart, It will most certainlybe the fifth resort. I like its layout, and the pictures are epic. Only problem I see is the fact that they are two separate mountains. But so Is snowshoe down here. It wont be that big of an issue.

From what I can see, It looks like a solitude/big mountain type of area. Not one park party like Killington. Dont get me wrong, I love parks, I spend a third-half my days there, but A big mountain atmospere Is what I like.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
bush may be two seperate mountains, but they are fairly massive mountains. well, i get that "massive" feel more from south than from north (at least, imo). but then again, how many "peaks" is kmart and how long does it take to get from here to there if you don't have a game plan. if you do bush during the weekend, you get the slide brook too. i can't advise on the difference between parks, but bush does a pretty big park at north. not sure how old you are, but if you are the drinking age and looking to party, then perhaps kmart is the better option. if you won't the best terrain and snow, bush definitely has kmart beat.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Remember that even tho on the map Smuggs and Stowe are next to eachother, in the winter it's a bit of a drive around Mt Mansfield since the notch is closed.

If you can hit kmart midweek that would make a big diference in really seeing what kmart has too offer terrainwise. If your goal is to ski every possible minute, Bolton is nearby and has night skiing, Stowe has night skiing as well but the terrain is really limited.

BeanoNYC

riverc0il said:
not sure how old you are, but if you are the drinking age and looking to party, then perhaps kmart is the better option.

Good point. What are your expectations as far as apres ski?

Lostone

Couple of points:
1) On Trailboss's list, it might have been '02, but there was a year recently that had the best skiing of the season before Christmas. It was outstanding, with feet of snow and everything not just open, but GREAT! There was no ice beneath you because we only had snow. :snow:

B) Stowe and Smuggs used to have a deal where they would each let you ride up a lift and go over to the other mountain and buy your ticket, there. At Smuggs, it was the Sterling lift, and at Stowe, it was Big Spruce. I think Big Spruce has been replaced, now, so not sure they still allow that. It was good tho. I've seen peopel at each mountain, from the other.

III) I agree that if you are into partying later, after skiing, K-Mart might be a better bet. But if you are after a skiing experience, the Bush has it all over. The People, the atmosphere, and the terrain. (Note: I would be one of the people. I might be some of the atmosphere. And I have been... part of the terrain! :daffy: :-o )

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the stowe/smuggs thing is no longer in effect. spruce now has a high speeder. lostone has a point that on occasion, things can be good early. last season was a prime example, i distinctly remember running into a tree on december 10th skiing a foot and a half of fluff in the woods with no bottoming out. that is the exception to the rule though, i have waited some years until late january into february to sample good natural.

bigbog

marcski said:
I agree with RC...northern Greens are probably your best bet....Just beware of the dreaded January thaw....
marcski....Ya need to get out of southern NY for awhile man, it's July 29th and we're hit with mention of the January thaw!....*$&%*( :smash: