• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Trail is Closed

dmc

If it's during a POW dump - I will poach closed trails...

If Ski Patrol closes it cause it's dangerous... Then no...

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
If it's during a POW dump - I will poach closed trails...

If Ski Patrol closes it cause it's dangerous... Then no...

My sentiments too...I will try to remain discreet because I find that when people see you skiing a run, they gravitate there too.

RossiSkier

No, I never ski closed trails. But I wait patiently as some of my more daring friends do. Many of them have an encyclopedic knowldge of Killington, where I do not and don't feel the need to temp providence.

tirolerpeter

Poaching closed trails

In my opinion Killington does not close enough trails that should be closed. I find their "thin cover" warnings are much closer to "NO COVER" in reality. I hate beating up my skis running over exposed rocks that are not visible until you are right on top of them!

Joshua B

With the wide range of views, outlooks, perspectives, and policies from ski patrollers at any given mountain, I really can't figure out my own policy on this.

Tin Woodsman

If it's after a decent snowfall, then I have no problem jumping in. If it's closed due to lousy conditions (thaw/freeze cylce for instance) then I stay away. I found it ironic a few years back when a ptroller at Mt. Snow admonished me for poaching Olympic with 12" of untouched on it when Fallen Timbers next door was a scraped off disaster area - much more dangerous than anything I was doing.

JimG.

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
I found it ironic a few years back when a ptroller at Mt. Snow admonished me for poaching Olympic with 12" of untouched on it when Fallen Timbers next door was a scraped off disaster area - much more dangerous than anything I was doing.

He got angry because you poached what he thought was HIS line! Good job.

Greg

Staff member
I've never poached; not that I haven't consider it, but I have a question:

Has anyone ever poached a trail only to find the conditions so bad they wish they hadn't?

dmc

Greg said:

Has anyone ever poached a trail only to find the conditions so bad they wish they hadn't?

Hell ya!!! It's a gamble... Never know whats lurking under the snow and around the "dog leg"

ctenidae

That's one of my two worries on poaching, Greg. I figure, if it's closed, there's probably a good reason for it. Easier that way.
With my luck, I'd duck the rope, slide down a bare rock face, across a gravel pit, into the waitinig arms of a patroller, who would quickly and unceremoniously relieve me of my lift pass.

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:

Oh man, a big affirmative on that one! It's a crapshoot, but that's part of the fun. Not something you want to do if you are overly protective of your skis.

Joshua B

Greg said:

Yup, at Magic a couple weeks ago. I took the worst slide of my life on steep boilerplate.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I ride closed trails pretty much every day. Alot of the tiem they are exploratory missions. Today I skied waterfall more to see what was lurking so tomorrow I know what's under the snow. I also hike the Mtn. alot preseason and know what trails are smooth grass, and which are pointy rock. I don't really poach at other Mtns. because I don't have the local knowledge. I see ropes as suggestions, and most patrolers here see it that way too. Except for Roho, that guy can be a real &!CK.

dmc

JD said:
I also hike the Mtn. alot preseason and know what trails are smooth grass, and which are pointy rock. I don't really poach at other Mtns. because I don't have the local knowledge. I see ropes as suggestions, and most patrolers here see it that way too. Except for Roho, that guy can be a real &!CK.

right... Most patrollers I know will not bust someone that looks like they know their stuff on "reserved" trails ;)

I hike my lines during the summer too... I move rocks outta the way - lay logs down the falline... etc...

Of course it's not Stowe... :)

dmc

Potential rail slides as well as you have less of a chance of hitting them dead on whne they are JUST underneath the snow......

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
Potential rail slides as well as you have less of a chance of hitting them dead on whne they are JUST underneath the snow......

...and having your skis/board slide under the log, thus leading to double ejection fun :D .

awf170

I will ski closed trails sometimes. It depends on if i have a pair of old junky skis on or i my new skis. With my rock skis i will go down closed trails sometimes as long as it looks decent, but with nice new skis i dont dare to ski down anything closed and most of the time i wont to trails that say thin cover because in the east that ussually means little to no cover/ serious damage to your skis.