• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thule roof rack question

ctenidae

Since we got a new car (2006 Acura TSX), we have to get new roof racks (we had Saab ones before that fit into built-in hardpoints on the car. That was sweet). We want to get the Aero bars, since they look nicer and $50 is a small price to pay for being able to have the sunroof open.

Thule calls for the 53 inch bars for our car, but I'm thinking it's not needed, and would rather go with the 43's to avoid the excess overhang. the 43's will fit easily on the back (40 inches side to side), but it's almost exactly 43 inches across in the front.

So, here's the question- how adjustable is the hook on the Thule towers? Is it possible to move the towers in about an inch from the edge of the door, or will the hook not extend out that far? If I have to go with the 53 inch bars, I will, but then I'll probably get them cut down to avoid braining myself every time I get out of the car.

REI in Natick (and presumably everywhere else) is having a sale this weekend- 20% off. I know it applies to Thule gear, but I'm not sure if everything in the store is on sale, so we can get the whole shebang for a little less than $200, which works for me. We'll probably buy the 43 inch bars and try to mount them in the parking lot, but I'd like to have an idea if there's no sense in even trying the 43's.

On a side note, anyone need a Saab roof rack?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I don't have any answers for you about the racks but how do you like the car. I have always liked the look of that car. I even thought about getting one but its way to small for a family.

SkiDog

I wouldnt trust anything that the maunfacturer didn't recommend...I know its a pain and Thule puts you in an odd position when you buy a new car. I am having this problem now..went from a Subaru WRX to a nissan pathfinder..basically the entire rack is not needed anymore and cost me like $500.00 (with all bike and ski crap) only 2+ years ago. I'm going to ebay the rack and fairing with poles, but keep the bike and ski racks. im getting a box, but will still need the bike rack, and might even still use the ski rack occassionally..I think they have mounting brackets for my nissan installed roof rack.

Eh...

M

bvibert

Staff member
From what I can tell on their website the Aero bar system costs like $65 more, and you'll need adapters to attach most carriers to it. Also the Aero system calls for 47" bars as opposed to 50" for the regular system.

As far as the fit of the towers on the roof, I think it's pretty much designed to be in one spot and you'll have trouble moving them in too much, if at all.

SKIQUATTRO

i've always gotten the longer bars (they are cheap) and just hacksaw off what you dont need, that way you can kind of cutomize the bar lenght. Due to the stuff i put up there, I have the clamp on my ski carrier on the "outside" of the footback..just gives me more room

SKIQUATTRO

Thule is a great company...expensive yes, but worth it....their customer service is fantastic...i was having an issued with a fork mount bike carrier (the clamp wasnt holding the bike in place) so i called, and with in 2 days i had a brand new unit....no questions asked...

ctenidae

Thoroughly enjoy the car, ALLSKING. Fortunately, no kids to worry about, so the size is perfect for us. We looked at the TL, but decided it really was more car than we needed. The 6-speed manual is excellent, gas mileage is pretty good, adn there are enough bells and whistles to keep you well distracted.

On toic, yeah, we'll probably just cut the bars to size. No major problem. As for adapters, the head of the bolts that hold the rack to the square connectors is what slides into the tracks, so I think we'll be able to get away without buying the adapters. Looks like the towers may not come with lock cores, though. Bit of a pain, that.

bvibert

Staff member
In my experience none of the racks or accessories come with lock cores. If you had a Thule rack before you should be able to salvage the cores from that.

ctenidae

We have the actual rack, but we're getting new towers (the Saab ones are welded to the bars.) Add cores to the cost...