• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 3 Ski Areas in Pennsylvania?

skiersleft

As someone who skied the Poconos quite often when I started skiing, there's a special place in my heart for PA ski hills, even though I've mostly moved on to the Catskills and Vermont. I still hit PA every once in a while, especially for night skiing. For obvious reasons, PA doesn't get much love here, although I know there are some hardcore Poconos locals here and that every once in a while there's a thread about Blue (and others).

In any case, I wonder what you guys think are the best ski areas in Pennsylvania...I haven't come near to ski them all, but here's my top three:

(1) Blue Mountain
(2) Elk Mountain
(3) Camelback

I think blue is best because it has the most vertical and some pretty fun relatively steep fall line skiing. Most, if not all, their trails are lit for night skiing and it's pretty big for PA standards. Also like that they have the main lodge at the top. I would rank Elk first, but I don't like that they only have 8 or 9 trails open for night skiing. They do have the best bumps in PA (I think) and the quality of snow seems to be better than in other PA hills for whatever reason. Finally, Camelback is vertically challenged, but it's got a lot of "horizontal", meaning that it's spread out. It's ridiculously crowded and gets incredibly skied off....but it's got a very efficient lift system and a nice Apres vibe along with a decent brewery close by.

I've heard others are pretty good as well. How about Seven Springs? Where would it rank? Blue Knob? Others...share your thoughts!

What's your list and why?

slatham

Blue Knob has to be considered. 1,083' vertical (most in PA?) and some legit steeps. Also gets more snow than above 3 (better location for lake effect).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've had fun at Seven Springs. 80% of that fun was in the bars in the hotel, 20% on the slopes. That has been my only experience skiing in PA.

4aprice

(1) Blue Mountain
(2) Elk Mountain
(3) Camelback

For the POCONO's (My def is North of I-78 East of I-81) I agree with your 3 choices but would put Elk 1st, Blue 2nd, and CBK 3rd. For all of Pa, Blue Knob would have to be in there though I'm not sure about the snowfall totals and I've heard their snowmaking (a must in PA) is lacking. I've skied 7 Springs and do not feel it is as good as the Pocono areas though it does receive more snowfall. Enjoy having the Pocono's in my back yard (out of the 60 days/season I try to ski approx 40 are there) and while not the biggest they provide some decent sliding and are a great place to practice, practice, practice for trips up north and out west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

summit62

As someone who lives in southeastern PA, the PA hills serve to satisfy (or attempt to satisfy) my need for skiing inbetween trips up North. My top 3 would be the same as skiersleft. I have been to most of the areas in the eastern part of the state but can't speak for the western areas.

1.) Blue Mountain: Good vert for PA. Razor's Edge and Challenge do have sustained and relatively steep fall line skiing.
2.) Elk: Good vibe. Seems to always have the best snow quality. Rarely crowded. Bumps.
3.) Camelback: Lacking with vertical but it is easy to make quick laps with the HSQs. Extremely busy but the crowd doesn't seem to really show up until 11 or 12. Easy to get many laps in before that (7:30 am opening on weekends for passholders, but I usually dont have a problem getting first lift at 8:10 or so) I live within a 2 hours drive of Dogfish Head, Victory Brewing Co., and Sly Fox, among others. I have given Barley Creek Brewing Co. a couple chances but just pass them by now.

farlep99

I learned to ski at Blue, though haven't been back in about 15+ yrs. I've skied all 3 you mentioned & many others & I'd take Elk as my #1. Haven't been to 7 SPrings but have heard good things (all relatively speaking)

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
Gotta give some love to Keystone State skiing. They might not have the mountains or powder, but they do love their downhill. You gotta give credit to people spending money and bundeling up to cruise down some small hills for 30 seconds, and then wait in line at the 1 quad lift for 40 minutes :)

I grew up near Blue and went there for ski club, so that's the one I'm most familiar with. Definitely a fun time night skiing there. Great atmosphere, and perfect place to learn the sport. Been to Elk a few times and Camelback once or twice... which are probably the best you can get in PA (resort-wise). There's also Big Boulder and Jack Frost in the Poconos, which are other great spots to take a lesson as a kid and fall in love with skiing.

My list would be:
1) Elk
2) Blue
3) Camelback

slatham

US Ave Snowfall map.jpg

Not sure if this image loaded properly so here's the URL

http://www.climatesource.com/us/fact_sheets/fact_snowfall_us.html

Blue Knob is in the middle of the dark blue swath that extends down the spine of the Appalachians into West Virginia. While there is a bit of darker blue in the Pocono area, it’s not as dark or large and I know from other sources (still trying to find) that these amounts are less than in the Blue Knob area.

4aprice

View attachment 6679

Not sure if this image loaded properly so here's the URL

http://www.climatesource.com/us/fact_sheets/fact_snowfall_us.html

Blue Knob is in the middle of the dark blue swath that extends down the spine of the Appalachians into West Virginia. While there is a bit of darker blue in the Pocono area, it’s not as dark or large and I know from other sources (still trying to find) that these amounts are less than in the Blue Knob area.

Slathem:

I've never been to Blue Knob and probably won't get there unless my son is involved in a race there (the only reason I've been to 7 Springs) the main reason being the same amount of time it would take to get there would put me in Vermont if I travel north instead of west. That said what are you feelings about their snowmaking system which I have heard is lacking. I heard they had it really rough last season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jrmagic

I learned to ski at Shawnee as a kid and have been to Camelback once or twice so im really not qualified to rank the PA mountains but I did have a blast back then and if I lived closer I might consider doing some night skiing there. Does Blue still have the overzealous patrollers with the whistles pulling over people for speeding?

mriceyman

im a fan of blue and camlebak... i make sure to go when crowds willl be light. i can get to blue in 1.45h and hunter in 2.45 so if im not looking to drive the extra distance than these 2 quench my ski thirst.

slatham

My history with Blue Knob is very dated so not fair to comment on snowmaking (whereas the terrian and average snowfall hasn't changed). I live in NY Tri-State so I too head north to Vermont. Keep an eye on Magic when you're in VT this winter - The Magic is Back!

skivideoguy

I'm 25 min from Blue, 55 min from Camelback and a bit more to Elk. For skiing I like Elk the most, then Blue, then Camelback. For bars, I like Camelback outdoors and then Elk. Upper lodge at Blue is now beautiful but I don't get over to that part of the hill and park down at the lower lodge. Like the upper lodge in the summer!

Have a problem with Blue regarding customers bringing skis/boards into the lodge at Blue. They have to do better with that. Credit them for the improvements and marketing over the past few years. Have a problem with Elk not having any outside seating/bar. Lodge is in need of a refresh and the lift by the lodge is an antique. Snow is good, like the cut of the trails there. First day was at Camelback back in 1979. Now it's mostly Killington, SB, Smuggs and Stowe for me.

What about SnoMountain - anyone have any opinion there? Was thinking of laying some tracks there to refresh my memory from back in the Montage days.

jimmywilson69

Blue Knob has to be considered. 1,083' vertical (most in PA?) and some legit steeps. Also gets more snow than above 3 (better location for lake effect).

Blue Knob if not ran by the state would be better, but they don't blow much snow. The lake effect they get blows off the mountain if you don't get it while it's snowing. Most of the time it's a giant sheet of ice with most of the steep stuff closed. When you hit it right, it's awesome though.

I went to College near there, so I had 4 years of "sampling" If you want consistent snow, you go to 7 Springs. But the Terrain kinda sucks, accept for a few trails off of the back.

4aprice

I'm 25 min from Blue, 55 min from Camelback and a bit more to Elk. For skiing I like Elk the most, then Blue, then Camelback. For bars, I like Camelback outdoors and then Elk. Upper lodge at Blue is now beautiful but I don't get over to that part of the hill and park down at the lower lodge. Like the upper lodge in the summer!

Have a problem with Blue regarding customers bringing skis/boards into the lodge at Blue. They have to do better with that. Credit them for the improvements and marketing over the past few years. Have a problem with Elk not having any outside seating/bar. Lodge is in need of a refresh and the lift by the lodge is an antique. Snow is good, like the cut of the trails there. First day was at Camelback back in 1979. Now it's mostly Killington, SB, Smuggs and Stowe for me.

What about SnoMountain - anyone have any opinion there? Was thinking of laying some tracks there to refresh my memory from back in the Montage days.

Interesting take SVG. I agree with your views on the lodges. Elk's is horrible and outdated,(I also can't stand the Elk Mobile) Blue's is nice (upper) but horribly located, the bottom one needs work. Camelback's is the best of the 3 and the deck is really nice in the spring. Thirsty Camel rocks on a Saturday Happy Hour.

I'll spare you my views on Sno. (remember Mom said if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it). Place has got potential but needs MAJOR work to get there.

The Pocono's became our home (CBK is our home Mtn.) as our children were growing up. My daughter became an Instructor there and is now a Castleton State and teaching at Killington. The boy is a junior in high school and on the Camelback Race Team. He's already looking at college's in Vermont and New Hampshire (wants to study meterology). These next 2 seasons will probably be our last as passholders and we will be heading up north much more then we do now. That said we have enjoyed our seasons down here and I still plan on hitting the 3 at least once a season (CBK probably more because of their location and good 3 pack deal).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

〽❄❅

1) Elk
2) Blue
3) stay home and figure out how to swing a few days in New England!

Takes me around 2h:45m to get to Elk from Philly! 1h:15m to Blue which i'll go to if the snowstorm takes a more southern track or if snow conditions are acceptable and i need a quick fix.

BenedictGomez

Night skiing in PA can be a lot of fun, and it's a good place to take beginners.

Other than that, I kindof have to agree with #3 in the above post, but I'd add the DAX as a shorter drive alternative.

Would go with Blue Mountain as #1, Camelback #2, Shawnee #3 - with the caveat I've never been to Elk, which I hear is the real #1