• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine 05-14-2005

dmc

Date(s) Skied: Saturday May 15th 2005

Resort or Ski Area: Tuckerman Ravine

Conditions: Loose spring granular

Trip Report: Hiked up to the shelters early Saturday. Got a spot - unpacked - started out to the bowl. Our intention was to go up the Right Gully, head over to the Upper Snowfields and then down Left Gully.
As we we're climbing up the Right Gully at the steepest part - my friend who was about 25' in front of me - fell and started sliding.. He was coming right at me sliding pretty fast - I yelled out - "USE YOU AXE!!!!". He didnt have his ice axe out for self arrest, it was still on his pack :( As he came closer I stepped aside so I wouldnt get impaled by his crampons. He rolled over onto his back and his pack slowed his descent. About 20' from the Lunch Rocks he was able to stop thanks to a well placed shrub. I contacted him in the radio. He was OK... Psheeeeew....
We continued up the Right Gully and rode it but blew off the rest of the plan due to our friend being shaken up and slightly wounded..

The rest of the day we just did climbs and skis around the bowl area.. Just chilled on the Lunch Rocks. Something I havent done in years actually..

5TR_05-14-05_Doug_Dave_Elwood.jpg

Great day Saturday - no rain - Sunday it rained like a "big dog".. We just packed up and went home..

dmc

Greg said:
What's with your buddy's hand gesture? "Time for Tuckerman"?

yup... So the first picture..

http://www.powderhound.org/cgi/imgtool.cgi?year=2005&page=normal&name=TR_04-22-05_Bowl_Doug_Rob_Dave(Affix)_3&type=jpg <Slight modification of the symbol...

dmc

JimG. said:
D, I noticed that Elwood was using crampons last weekend. I'll bring mine regardless, but were they necessary?

No - not necessary - especially if it's asoft day...
But I like to use them cause I like to climb early and away from the crowds....

Just gotta use ice axe AND crampons together.. Or you can get hurt.

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
JimG. said:
D, I noticed that Elwood was using crampons last weekend. I'll bring mine regardless, but were they necessary?

No - not necessary - especially if it's asoft day...
But I like to use them cause I like to climb early and away from the crowds....

Just gotta use ice axe AND crampons together.. Or you can get hurt.

I guess a better way of asking would have been "was it icy enough last weekend to justify using crampons?"

dmc

JimG. said:
I guess a better way of asking would have been "was it icy enough last weekend to justify using crampons?"

No - it was hard in spots. I think from water coming down over the snow...
For the average person it wasnt... There were boot ladders..

If you didnt have crampons you werent getting to the top of the Left Gully though...

dmc

ALLSKIING said:
DMC do you alpine ski anymore?

I break out my 1080s and bump ski a couple times a year - a lot of my friends are bumpers..... But only a couple times a year..

Also got a pair of hand me down solomon skis from a patroller... Forget what they are off hand... But they are really fast... Tried them out a couple times...

I like skiing cause I can go faster...