• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

crystalmountainskier

You guys just aren't willing to admit all your bluster about how Vail was screwing up was wrong, up to saying they are lying about financial performance.

You might not like it, but they are doing something right. Literally almost all metrics for business performance are up. Lift tickets, ski school, f&b, retail. You can't fudge everything.
They're up from 2022 but what about 2019? All that ancillary stuff absolutely tanked during covid. I would love to see a "same store sales" 2019 vs. 2023 but they have not given that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They're up from 2022 but what about 2019? All that ancillary stuff absolutely tanked during covid. I would love to see a "same store sales" 2019 vs. 2023 but they have not given that.

"HATER. I DON'T LIKE YOU."

rob_katz_0.jpg

Boxtop Willie

To the point a little earlier about the STR market crashing. Maybe not. My ski oriented units had a good winter, better than the previous year. I saw no decline in demand. My summer oriented places are already 90% booked (which is better than last year at this time) and this after a pretty significant price increase. (got reassessed and property taxes went up almost thirty %).
Don't believe everything you read in the media. Granted STRs can have there issues, on many levels, but do it right and respect your guests and STRs are good.

BenedictGomez

Didn't want to start a thread for "new gondy" pics, but I recently, accidentally, became one of the first people to load the new Red Pine Gondola cabins & snapped some pics the day they started running them for the public.

I thought they were cool because the cars are designed so that 1/2 of their area is almost entirely glass. In the fist pic I intentionally included the corner of the bench across from me so you can see the entire side of the cabin in glass, in the second pic, likewise below the bench you can see the ground below you by looking "through" the bench to the floor.

1689271664294.jpeg1689271685822.jpeg

machski

Didn't want to start a thread for "new gondy" pics, but I recently, accidentally, became one of the first people to load the new Red Pine Gondola cabins & snapped some pics the day they started running them for the public.

I thought they were cool because the cars are designed so that 1/2 of their area is almost entirely glass. In the fist pic I intentionally included the corner of the bench across from me so you can see the entire side of the cabin in glass, in the second pic, likewise below the bench you can see the ground below you by looking "through" the bench to the floor.

View attachment 58727View attachment 58728
Cool. Is the cabin sized the same as K1's?

Dickc

Got a survey link from Vail. I did them the favor of filling it out. It actually asks questions about auto-renew. Link removed as it will tell you it was already filled out

"Hi Richard!

We are seeking the thoughts and opinions of guests like yourself to tell us more about what types of products (passes, lift tickets, etc.) you choose in order to ski or snowboard.

This short survey should take no more than 10 minutes of your time, and those who complete the survey will be entered to win a $150 gift card, which will be distributed by the end of August.

Thank you so much in advance for your time, and we can't wait to see you on the slopes this winter (or summer!).

Have a great rest of your week,
- Your Guest Insights Team at Vail Resorts"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got a survey link from Vail. I did them the favor of filling it out. It actually asks questions about auto-renew. Link removed as it will tell you it was already filled out

"Hi Richard!

We are seeking the thoughts and opinions of guests like yourself to tell us more about what types of products (passes, lift tickets, etc.) you choose in order to ski or snowboard.

This short survey should take no more than 10 minutes of your time, and those who complete the survey will be entered to win a $150 gift card, which will be distributed by the end of August.

Thank you so much in advance for your time, and we can't wait to see you on the slopes this winter (or summer!).

Have a great rest of your week,
- Your Guest Insights Team at Vail Resorts"
"Thank you. But honestly, you are doing YOURSELF a favor by doing this!"

vail-resorts-robert-katz.jpg

Mainer

Drove by attitash the other day. The old slow triple was gone but no new towers were up. Nor was there any sign of a bottom terminal. Looks like a lot of work needed to have it open for next season. Are they going to make it in time?

Edd

Drove by attitash the other day. The old slow triple was gone but no new towers were up. Nor was there any sign of a bottom terminal. Looks like a lot of work needed to have it open for next season. Are they going to make it in time?
That’s strange…

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am always amazed how it seems like the lift will never be ready and (most of the time) it is, but barely.

I would think that they would want to please the big customer that is Vail and get this one done ASAP.

drjeff

Their social media feeds have done a decent job with basically weekly updates of the progress of the new lift. If I recall correctly, some of the last forms for the new tower supports were either being put inplace or just about to be put inplace in their latest update.

And as has been stated already, once the concrete is inplace and cured, the steel goes up pretty quickly.

Short of some crazy unforseen issues, I bet that they folks at Attitash/Dopp/Vail have little to no concerns about where the progress of the lift construction is at right now and finishing on time, even with some of the less than stellar at times weather Mother Nature has thrown their way the last month or so

Edd

Short of some crazy unforseen issues, I bet that they folks at Attitash/Dopp/Vail have little to no concerns about where the progress of the lift construction is at right now and finishing on time, even with some of the less than stellar at times weather Mother Nature has thrown their way the last month or so
You're like Vail's secret marketing weapon :D

Dickc

A couple of posts I've sen on Facebook mention they are manually hauling around forms and the like as there are no available helicopters owing to the Canadian wildfires. So instead of a complete form being airlifted into place, they are hauling materials up and building the forms in place.