• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

JimG.

Staff member
When made well, it can be delicious :)
When made cafeteria style, not so much...
Cafeteria style = consistency of leather.

Chief Martindale diner off route 23 on Taconic makes excellent liver and onions.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

well, that makes sense, piece of shit lowest common denominator products should be priced accordingly.

so vail resorts will be even more crowded due to cheaper passes and no capacity control.

enjoy that, gapers.

PAabe

If they are really that cheap I would have to consider getting it if only to ski Roundtop weeknights
Honestly could do Epic local+Indy and spend not a whole lot more than I already do on lift tickets for a whole lot more skiing potentially

PAabe

If they offered a Roundtop only or weekday only or nights only pass priced below the northeast pass I would definitely be interested but I don't really have a lot of desire to ski any Vail areas other than Roundtop after hearing about the crowds and management this year. I guess that is not their business model though - they want people to go spend money at the resorts.

cdskier

Denver post let it slip

If so this will only make the crowds worse next year. I think I am done with the Epic Pass
Wow...I thought Katz recently said they "learned a lot about crowds and capacity this year" and were doing something to address that. Lowering your price and getting even more people to your resorts is certainly the opposite of that.

On a side-note - Dear Ikon/Alterra - do NOT even attempt to compete with this foolishness. I'd much rather pay a bit of a premium for less crowds on the slopes.

thebigo

What a bunch of incompetent boobs. They are weeks behind the competition in announcing pricing, hype some big change and then are not even able to control their own message? Who is running this place?

Edit - would be an elaborate fake article but I am hoping it is not the whole story.

Last edited:

cdskier

Good point!!! - it appears to be fake.
I'm not so sure about that. Someone would have had to hack the Denver Post's website (or hack Google's cache services...). It makes complete sense that the Denver Post would have an article ready to post with the information that Epic was going to announce today. Just probably a slight mix-up in timing with them posting the article briefly before being told by Epic that the announcement would be delayed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow...I thought Katz recently said they "learned a lot about crowds and capacity this year" and were doing something to address that. Lowering your price and getting even more people to your resorts is certainly the opposite of that.

That is interesting. Looks like that they are trying to smooth over their issues with a cheaper offering to make people happy. Sounds like a slightly desperate move to me. If their product is so awesome, why not at least hold the line on price?

On a side-note - Dear Ikon/Alterra - do NOT even attempt to compete with this foolishness. I'd much rather pay a bit of a premium for less crowds on the slopes.
Rusty Gregory and the new Deer Valley President did a virtual town hall on "Leadership" last night in Park City. I will post the link when I get a chance. The talking points and marketing lines were in full force. Despite multiple reassurances that they were "not blowing smoke", I had a hard time seeing with all the air pollution. Some highlights:

1. Alterra is so new that they have "no idea" how many employees they actually have. They are also not really "much" of a company but instead coordinate and collaborate with their own resorts and their partners.
  2. The new DV President looks like he is 35 years old. He does not have a lot of experience. He did not talk much. He said that DV is "the jewel" of Alterra and was really impressed with his employees. He said he wants to do a retreat this summer with his leadership to "develop a plan" for the resort. That seems about four years too late. He also tacitly admitted that Ikon is resulting in more people and he wants to "revisit it." He was adamant that the lines were due to "COVID" and not being able to load chairs fully. Almost in the same breath he admitted that Ikon had "50% more pass sales" this season than before.
  3. The first hot button issue was the $500 increase in DV Senior Season Passes and cutting the Ikon Pass benefit that came with those passes. With a smug smile, the new DV President said he had to "make ends meet", that the increased price made the pass worth "about 7-8 days" of skiing to break even, and was final. Rusty joked that he is not local (basically throwing the guy under the bus) and that he supported the price increases "but" if the market thinks that Alterra is wrong then people would leave and Alterra would reconsider.
  4. Rusty said that he has to appease three constituencies with "limited resources": customers, employees, and financiers/ownership. Without realizing it, he clearly implied that ownership is first by the fact that he spent most of his time talking about the "expectations" of ownership and investors.
  5. Rusty "promised" that $200 mill in upgrades are coming for Alterra Resorts.
  6. Rusty pled with locals to be "more open minded" about Ikon and to share the slopes with the "diverse" clientele that Ikon brings. He took a page right from a PR session by then going on about how important "diversity" is for skiing and that it is not a sport for old white guys.
  7. Rusty said that they are "very concerned" about crowding and degrading the experience. He said that Alterra "listens."
  8. As if high on something, Rusty then waxed poetic about the Ikon Pass and how it brings people to the mountains "to experience their best selves." As to plans, "we are looking forward to morphing the Ikon Pass into a lifestyle platform with more offerings." Whatever the hell that means.
  9. Rusty openly advocated against a national minimum wage. He said Alterra needs flexibility to pay people in different markets. I was appalled that he made a political comment in this charged time.
  10. As to those $8.00 lift attendants and staff, Rusty recognized that affordable housing and the communities are important to Alterra. Alterra has not "forced" its corporate values onto its resorts. He promised that we would see Alterra "invest" in its communities soon.

I'm sure that there is more to highlight. I was happy that they appeared, disappointed in the general platitudes and goals, and disgusted that they implied that locals are xenophobes.

cdskier

pretty lame pointless thing to bother faking. they just published it premature.
Agreed. And if it was faked, someone put a lot of effort into it to make it extremely realistic.

My money is on it being real and just published prematurely (before being taken back down).

drjeff

The discounts, if true, appear to be similar to what they gave even the folks who used their Epic's lots of times during the COVID shortened '19-'20 season.

And if the price for the EPIC local is as listed in the article, and the benefits/restrictions the same as for tis season, I'd be paying the same I did for this season, and be quite happy with that to be honest.

Last edited:

Teleskier

What's the chances that is a fake article?
Earlier today another paper had leaked it too... google captured it... but when I went there the article was already taken down. So that's two mistakes.... feels real... wasn't today the day Vail said to expect big news??

cdskier

Earlier today another paper had leaked it too... google captured it... but when I went there the article was already taken down. So that's two mistakes.... feels real... wasn't today the day Vail said to expect big news??
Yes, then Epic pushed the announcement to tomorrow due to the shooting in Boulder.

snoseek

I thought the big announcement was gonna be they microchip all their customers for maximum gains. Bummer.