• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

I'm bored at work so why not rant about Mt Snow? Before the new Carinthia lodge there was a temporary "lodge" set up at the base of the lift. It was very simple with a bathroom/limited grille food and limited seating. But the lodge was a place for teens to go and hang out. There were gaming consoles, couches and "cool" music playing. Even though I was too old I thought it was good that kids had their own clubhouse on the mountain away from the family lodge scene. Personally , I liked that there was mountain entertainment outside of the boomer staples of accoustic guitair or classic rock. Then Vail built that gaudy new lodge and tore the old scene down. Which was a shame b/c the entire point of Carinthia (imo) was to draw park riders in from all over the northeast. Whatever. I'm outta steam. Back to work.
That wasn't a "temporary" lodge, that was the original Carinthia lodge from decades ago before Carinthia was even a part of Mount Snow proper

2Planker

More like the EB-5 $$ built that lodge with the Sackler/Oxy $$ more or less used primarily for Peak debt service needs
Tufts Med Cntr. just changed the name of the Sackler School of Biomedical Sciences….

jimmck

2Planker

Was that not announced over 3 years ago?

Yes. But it took them quite a while to change all the signage and campus maps. There were something like 5 different Sackler buildings and centers on the Boston campus. The Sackler name over the front door of the original (1984) Sackler Biomedical Library building came down about 2 years ago…

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes. But it took them quite a while to change all the signage and campus maps. There were something like 5 different Sackler buildings and centers on the Boston campus. The Sackler name over the front door of the original (1984) Sackler Biomedical Library building came down about 2 years ago…
Good for them. That’s a very bad look. No way around it. We almost had the “Kozlowski” Library at Middlebury. As in Tyco’s Kozlowski.

FBGM

Peak built and had the plan for that Lodge. Which I thought was odd since they were so park heavy and that lodge does not fit that bill. Idk how they originally thought they were paying for that. Plus there was more stuff planned in that area. Vail I’m sure loves it. Fits their idea, another main nice base and paid parking grab, and the park scene getting dialed back.

jimmywilson69

Nothing like seeing the exact same type of picture from the vail resorts touting their spring cleanup days. Literally everything the do is soulless...

Also it's a shame that the ski areas are such a mess after the season that actually makes me most upset...

LuckyStrike

That wasn't a "temporary" lodge, that was the original Carinthia lodge from decades ago before Carinthia was even a part of Mount Snow proper
I’ve learned a lot. I’m still right. The new lodge sucks

urungus

Oh no! The opioid billionaires might see a poor return on their investment! Won't someone think of the poor opioid billionaires?

Will be interesting to see if they go down this route …

AdironRider

Some tidbits for you:
  • Season-to-date total skier visits were up 6.1% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
  • Season-to-date total lift ticket revenue, including an allocated portion of season pass revenue for each applicable period, was up 4.0% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
  • Season-to-date ski school revenue was up 26.4% and dining revenue was up 35.3% compared to the prior year season-to-date period. Retail/rental revenue for North American resort and ski area store locations was up 21.8% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
Ski school, and notably F&B, are pretty much a straight up "you don't know what you are talking about" to this thread.

MikeDeJ

Some tidbits for you:
  • Season-to-date total skier visits were up 6.1% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
  • Season-to-date total lift ticket revenue, including an allocated portion of season pass revenue for each applicable period, was up 4.0% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
  • Season-to-date ski school revenue was up 26.4% and dining revenue was up 35.3% compared to the prior year season-to-date period. Retail/rental revenue for North American resort and ski area store locations was up 21.8% compared to the prior year season-to-date period.
Ski school, and notably F&B, are pretty much a straight up "you don't know what you are talking about" to this thread.
I really have a distrust in Vails numbers, not they are cooking the books but they cherry pick numbers and twist them.

Is dining revenue them same as all of the F&B or just full service restaurants?

Skier visits are up, but if they are all season pass holders....

Season to date total lift ticket revenue including an allocated portion of season pass revenue, that number can be made to what ever you want? Not even sure what that means!!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

Some tidbits for you:
Also, the dividend paid on their stock went up.

Regarding the increased dining revenue: I suspect that is just a rebound following the relaxing of the Covid-19 years' restrictions.