• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

You're like Vail's secret marketing weapon :D
Nope.

Just figured that since I love this sport, taking some time over the years to ask some questions of industry folks who I have been fortunate enough to get to know, and have an actual knowledge base (and really often like to share their knowledge base to others) as to what really goes into ski area operations from off season maintenance to lift construction to snowmaking and grooming and lift operations, made way more sense than ranting online about how things I really didn't know as much about as I thought I did, should be going.

Not a bad lifestyle choice to be curious more than being criticizing

2Planker

A couple of posts I've sen on Facebook mention they are manually hauling around forms and the like as there are no available helicopters owing to the Canadian wildfires. So instead of a complete form being airlifted into place, they are hauling materials up and building the forms in place.
Correct. Franz & Hans aren’t here yet…. Prob in 3-4 weeks once all the ground work is done

MikeDeJ

Nope.

Just figured that since I love this sport, taking some time over the years to ask some questions of industry folks who I have been fortunate enough to get to know, and have an actual knowledge base (and really often like to share their knowledge base to others) as to what really goes into ski area operations from off season maintenance to lift construction to snowmaking and grooming and lift operations, made way more sense than ranting online about how things I really didn't know as much about as I thought I did, should be going.

Hope you and your family are all good, I know a tornado was in/ near your Ct hometown sat tonight

drjeff

Hope you and your family are all good, I know a tornado was in/ near your Ct hometown sat tonight
Thanks.

All fine on the home front. The storm that spun up the tornado yesterday was non tornadic when the center of it passed roughly 1.5 miles South of my house. Definitely got really dark and noisy for maybe 10 minutes, with some strong winds, and a quick 2" or so of rain fell, but not much worse than a typical strong thunderstorm

bigbob

Drove by attitash the other day. The old slow triple was gone but no new towers were up. Nor was there any sign of a bottom terminal. Looks like a lot of work needed to have it open for next season. Are they going to make it in time?
Flying in concrete today

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nope.

"That is so EPIC. You are my hero!"

vailkatz8*1200xx3610-2031-0-184.jpg

gittist

Has Vail Resorts published the projected opening days for skiing yet for the 23/24 season?

gittist

I always laugh at the "Lift tickets will be limited again this year to preserve the guest experience at each resort." The upper limit is propbably so high that if they ever reached it you'd be "A-hole to belly button" going down the slopes.

BTW, thanks for the heads up..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I always laugh at the "Lift tickets will be limited again this year to preserve the guest experience at each resort." The upper limit is propbably so high that if they ever reached it you'd be "A-hole to belly button" going down the slopes.

BTW, thanks for the heads up..
Lift tickets are limited. Season passes are not. Nobody buys lift tickets.

machski

drjeff

List to the SSP with Mount Snow's GM. He said if they were to get a good string of cold days in October he'd light the system up and go for it.
Yup, also said that Mount Snow will be the planned last Vail Resort in the East to close next season again (thank you mega Carinthia snow piles for that) and that they didn't reach day ticket sellout limits once last season.

I wish I could of handed Stuart a few questions to ask Brian for that Storm Skiing Podcast episode that just hit the free feed a few days ago. Actually listened to it last Friday morning when it dropped for paid subscribers.

And unlike Skiology Matt, Storm Skiing Podcast Stuart is well worth the subscription fee in my opinion!

BenedictGomez

Lift tickets are limited. Season passes are not. Nobody buys lift tickets.

Exactly! It's a really funny faux Vail marketing flex that sounds great to the people who don't understand this, which is probably 3/4 of the market.

It's like catering PETA's Annual Convention and offering unlimited filet mignon.