• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Volkyl AC40 Carbon

kingslug

I bought these without trying them out first. But they where half off so what the hell. They only had 1 pair left in 170cm, a bit small for me. I skied on them for 3 days in Tahoe. First 2 days at Heavenly then one day at Squaw Valley. Conditions where frozen groomers most of the day, softening up later, except for Squaw which stayed pretty hard most of the day.
These things like to go fast, really fast. They where very smooth but lively, much more than my K2 Strykers which are kind of damp. They also want to turn and turn and turn. They don't like to just be ridden, no lazy skiers need apply. I tried them out in a huge mogul field and the short length helped as these are somewhat stiff. I'm going to have to learn how to use them in the bumps as they are not really a bump ski.

Edge holding. I skied the steepest groomed runs I have ever seen at Squaw, as everything else was frozen solid. These things just held and held as speed picked up. They wanted to go faster then I did but I never felt them slipping. These runs where in the 30 degree range straight down, thankfully not icy just super hardpack. Way different than my K2's which like to skid around a bit. They are a bit heavy but are built like a tank and have an interesting piston type binding. You can really pop out of a turn with them, lots of energy release, fun to catch small air off some of the bumps.
If you can get a good deal on them I would give them a try. I doubt I'll get to ski powder with them this year but spring skiing should be a blast. Have to drag them out west next year to see how they do.

Last edited:

highpeaksdrifter

I bought these without trying them out first. But they where half off so what the hell. They only had 1 pair left in 170cm, a bit small for me. I skied on them for 3 days in Tahoe. First 2 days at Heavenly then one day at Squaw Valley. Conditions where frozen groomers most of the day, softening up later, except for Squaw which stayed pretty hard most of the day.
These things like to go fast, really fast. They where very smooth but lively, much more than my K2 Strykers which are kind of damp. They also want to turn and turn and turn. They don't like to just be ridden, no lazy skiers need apply. I tried them out in a huge mogul field and the short length helped as these are somewhat stiff. I'm going to have to learn how to use them in the bumps as they are not really a bump ski.

Edge holding. I skied the steepest groomed runs I have ever seen at Squaw, as everything else was frozen solid. These things just held and held as speed picked up. They wanted to go faster then I did but I never felt them slipping. These runs where close to 40 degrees straight down, thankfully not icy just super hardpack. Way different than my K2's which like to skid around a bit. They are a bit heavy but are built like a tank and have an interesting piston type binding. You can really pop out of a turn with them, lots of energy release, fun to catch small air off some of the bumps.
If you can get a good deal on them I would give them a try. I doubt I'll get to ski powder with them this year but spring skiing should be a blast. Have to drag them out west next year to see how they do.

Good review, thanks for taking the time.