• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WARP -- had heart attack /open heart surgery

drjeff

Great news Warp!!! Fitness + a positive mental attitude are hands down a major asset for you!

Keep up the good work, and I'll go out on a limb and say that before the snow flys up North, you'll be back out on the golf course AND have a full round where the 1st number is a 7!!!!

Trekchick

THANX gUYS FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT !!! yEAH I THINK MY CONDITIONING WAS A HUGE PLUS

The Queen is a tower of loving strength and compassion, i love this woman to my very core .My wish for you single guys is that you can find such a similar rare gem for a partner

She is the light of my life --always has been since i first met here !! She is a still youthful beautiful woman to look at and to live with and frankly guys SAVED me from myself ( a huge egoed jock and musician) when i was an undergrad . I am blessed because my adult children took after her

Root i am trying to NOT rush things too much since the progress is pretty fair . Patience is one of my new LIFE goals as well as learning how to let go ---but its still awork in progress.
Patience? That's some funny sh!it right there! :lol:
A year from now you'll be leaping golf carts with a single bound and proclaiming, .....
Heart attack, what heart attack? I know nothing of a stinking heart attack!!!!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
A year from now you'll be leaping golf carts with a single bound and proclaiming, .....
Ain't that the truth:beer:

Warp Daddy

Great news Warp!!! Fitness + a positive mental attitude are hands down a major asset for you!

Keep up the good work, and I'll go out on a limb and say that before the snow flys up North, you'll be back out on the golf course AND have a full round where the 1st number is a 7!!!!

Thanks doc ----want that damn 79 badly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey professionally speaking do i need to get any special meds for my next dental cleaning ==now that i got a zipper in ma chest --???

Warp Daddy

Ah my all mos favorite chick from da mitten bustin on an old sick dude -- i tell ya it just ain't fair --LMAO

luv yA TREKIE --

drjeff

Thanks doc ----want that damn 79 badly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey professionally speaking do i need to get any special meds for my next dental cleaning ==now that i got a zipper in ma chest --???

Warp, here's the current standards from the American Heart Association that we go by:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11086

For folks that had cardiac surgery and placent of some type of stent, be it a natural stent (like it sounds like yours was) or artificial, the recomendation is for 1 hour prior to your treatment an antibiotic if your visit is within 6 months of your cardiac surgery. After 6 months, technically you don't need further antibiotic coverage, however, most cardiologists will continue to recommend it.

Just let your dentist know prior to your next visit and they'll call you in the proper antibiotic. And Warp, FYI, the recomendations have changed ALOT in the last decade or so, both in terms of what we give pretreatment antibiotics for (alot less things now) and how much we give (Nowadays it's usually 2.0 grams of Amoxicillin which is 4 tablets, whereas in the past it was 3.0 grams {6 tablets} 1 hour before and 1.5 grams {3 tablets} 6 hours later :eek:

What we're trying to prevent is what's called Bacterial Endocarditis (basically a bacterial infection of the heart muscle), which for highly susceptable folks can occur if an infusion of bacteria enters your bloodstream(such as can occur in certain dental procedures). What's interesting, and why the US guidelines have changed/minimized over the last decade or so is based on retrospective analysis of patients in the US and Europe(where all along antibiotic prophylaxis is far less prevalent than in the US) and the fact that the European rates of endocarditis and the US rates where essentially the same. So now, with the exception of a very few specific disease processes/instances, we don't give pretreatment antibiotics like we used to.

Sorry to be so long winded there Warp! ;)

Warp Daddy

Warp, here's the current standards from the American Heart Association that we go by:

For folks that had cardiac surgery and placent of some type of stent, be it a natural stent (like it sounds like yours was) or artificial, the recomendation is for 1 hour prior to your treatment an antibiotic if your visit is within 6 months of your cardiac surgery. After 6 months, technically you don't need further antibiotic coverage, however, most cardiologists will continue to recommend it.

Just let your dentist know prior to your next visit and they'll call you in the proper antibiotic. And Warp, FYI, the recomendations have changed ALOT in the last decade or so, both in terms of what we give pretreatment antibiotics for (alot less things now) and how much we give (Nowadays it's usually 2.0 grams of Amoxicillin which is 4 tablets, whereas in the past it was 3.0 grams {6 tablets} 1 hour before and 1.5 grams {3 tablets} 6 hours later :eek:

What we're trying to prevent is what's called Bacterial Endocarditis (basically a bacterial infection of the heart muscle), which for highly susceptable folks can occur if an infusion of bacteria enters your bloodstream(such as can occur in certain dental procedures). What's interesting, and why the US guidelines have changed/minimized over the last decade or so is based on retrospective analysis of patients in the US and Europe(where all along antibiotic prophylaxis is far less prevalent than in the US) and the fact that the European rates of endocarditis and the US rates where essentially the same. So now, with the exception of a very few specific disease processes/instances, we don't give pretreatment antibiotics like we used to.

Doc thanks for the detailed info its much appreciated . Since i'm allergic to penicillin i'd imagine Amoxicillin is out and one of the other substitutes will be prescribed Ill call my Dentist tomorrow thanx again UR a super good guy !!

drjeff

Doc thanks for the detailed info its much appreciated . Since i'm allergic to penicillin i'd imagine Amoxicillin is out and one of the other substitutes will be prescribed Ill call my Dentist tomorrow thanx again UR a super good guy !!

Not a problem Warp! Since you can't take a penicillin based drug, you'll more than likely get to pop a couple of 300mg Clindamycin tablets - just have some yogurt with it and it shouldn't be too tough on the 'ol Gastrointestinal System :eek: ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ah my all mos favorite chick from da mitten bustin on an old sick dude -- i tell ya it just ain't fair --LMAO

luv yA TREKIE --

Not a problem Warp! Since you can't take a penicillin based drug, you'll more than likely get to pop a couple of 300mg Clindamycin tablets - just have some yogurt with it and it shouldn't be too tough on the 'ol Gastrointestinal System :eek: ;)
This is why AlpineZone.com rocks. I don't know if DoctorJ and the Warpster have ever made turns together or not, but on what other message board to you see this kind of helpfulness for a fellow skier? I mean there are some really really funny moments on here, and some outright stupidity every now and again, but the actual caring that happened in the past four posts is what makes AZ stand alone!

mmraise.gif

Warp Daddy

AZ'ers are tops . Doc J has been a tremendous help on several issues and Doc Skimeister has helped me with several concerns i had bout the Teefster's injuries . And all my ski buds have been a tremendous source of morale support during this thing ------Yep AZ is special because of the Quality of people who frequent it AND realize that there are living breATHING , REAL FOLKS BEHINd THE CRAZINESS

Warp Daddy

Did my first miler today , felt strong all vitals ahead of pace and strong , But i'm going to plateau ther for a week bcuz of the FAST progress i was able to achieve in the last 2 dAYS . aT THIS POINT ITS GOOD TO REEL IT IN AND LET BODY ACCLIMATE

drjeff

Did my first miler today , felt strong all vitals ahead of pace and strong , But i'm going to plateau ther for a week bcuz of the FAST progress i was able to achieve in the last 2 dAYS . aT THIS POINT ITS GOOD TO REEL IT IN AND LET BODY ACCLIMATE

Good to here of your WARP-speed progress! I'm going to go out on a limb and start the over/under pool for your return to the golf course as August 31st! (And I'm betting the under!)

Warp Daddy

Good to here of your WARP-speed progress! I'm going to go out on a limb and start the over/under pool for your return to the golf course as August 31st! (And I'm betting the under!)

Roflmao---BUT don't do it Doc i have formal eval 8/25/09 and ONLY after that OK can i even enter a formal 6 week program of Cardiac rehab so its still going to Late Oct at best i'm afraid but we'll see

Hey enjoy you're long weekend you deserve a break !!

mondeo

Pools only work if you get people on both sides, and with the progress made so far...

It'll be interesting to see if he can force himself to level off for a week. Might want to do an over/under pool on that. :p

Nice to see that this episode seems pretty well headed torwards a positive resolution.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Roflmao---BUT don't do it Doc i have formal eval 8/25/09 and ONLY after that OK can i even enter a formal 6 week program of Cardiac rehab so its still going to Late Oct at best i'm afraid but we'll see

Hey enjoy you're long weekend you deserve a break !!
I know this from experience having suffered a broken elbow and being on the D.L. for three months during a ski season.... that first time out after you get better is going to be one of the best days of your life. I can't wait to read the story when you get there!!

Warp Daddy

I know this from experience having suffered a broken elbow and being on the D.L. for three months during a ski season.... that first time out after you get better is going to be one of the best days of your life. I can't wait to read the story when you get there!!

Thanks Steve its a huge motivator for me for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down 30 lbs since the 18th of July roughly half of it was IV fluids from surgery but 15 is real always had hi fiber , low fat diet but now into serious portion control feeling really pretty awesome so far after all got my pipes cleaned out by the open heart surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_LMAO

Warp Daddy

Thanks Camp and Doc you two guys are great !!!! Doc hope your beach vacation is going well man i'd love to be walking along the ocean right now .

Camp are you guys burning the midnite oil with this $$$ for clunkers deal ?? Take care of yourself man and let me know how the golf game is going .