• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of Feb 27 to March 3 -- 2012

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
StormTotalSnowFcstZoomUR.png

StormTotalSnowFcstZoomLR.png

WJenness

Woburn, MA as well... Starting to stick at the edges of the parking lot, not accumulating on cars or pavement in center of the lot yet.

-w

ScottySkis

by spring condition, you mean rain? ;)

If it gets in to 40s on saturday that could bring nice soft snow. I just saw the rain forecast for saturday, I hope lots of people on the fourm can go this week.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Josh Fox, MRG:

By Thursday morning we should have 3-5 inches to show for our efforts while snow continues for a good part of the day and even into Thursday evening and Thursday night. By Friday morning Snowfall totals should be in the 10-15 inch range.

If I were to pick a day to ski, it would be Friday.

Winds are not expected to be particularly strong Thursday but they will be out of the east and historically that has caused some issues on the Single. On Friday winds will diminish and the snow will diminish to a few flurries. I am sure both days will be winners no matter what is open and what isn't

WinnChill

Josh Fox, MRG:

By Thursday morning we should have 3-5 inches to show for our efforts while snow continues for a good part of the day and even into Thursday evening and Thursday night. By Friday morning Snowfall totals should be in the 10-15 inch range.

If I were to pick a day to ski, it would be Friday.

Winds are not expected to be particularly strong Thursday but they will be out of the east and historically that has caused some issues on the Single. On Friday winds will diminish and the snow will diminish to a few flurries. I am sure both days will be winners no matter what is open and what isn't

I'm with him on the Friday thing. Winds going against the grain than what we're used to, and summit winds could be strong Thurs AM--probably a little dicey.

I'm also leery of ME resorts--I get nervous when high pressure to our north makes a low slide to our south. I dropped amounts slightly for SR/SL/Black/Saddle and hope we hit those ranges. I'll take another look at NNH areas later on too.

redwinger

Sugarloaf. I just heard 15z Sref plume 1.68" qpf, 12.87" is the mean for snow. Maine is blowing up.

Sugarloaf is almost 4 hours one way. Too tough. I can make it to Sunday River in about 2.5...think that will cut it?

tipsdown

Sugarloaf. I just heard 15z Sref plume 1.68" qpf, 12.87" is the mean for snow. Maine is blowing up.

Tooth, keep the good news coming...Stay on this one for me. I'm hoping to jump into Brackett...

UVSHTSTRM

I am pretty skeptical about the "two" storms (who wouldn't be the way this winter has gone). Reasons for this is because the first storm which has arrived already looks like it is already to begin breaking up. And from what I understood tonights snows from this first wave was suppose to have the most snow with it, with the second wave arriving after midnight and through thursday was suppose to be the weaker portion. What am I not seeing with these two storms?

Tooth

I am under the impression that part two is what will hit Maine. Two local Maine stations calling general 8" to 12" with some 14"' give or take. Still calling for long snow all night and all through tomorrow. Various numbers off models still look this way. This storm has jumped up and down 5 times in the last 36 hours. I hate it.

WinnChill

I am pretty skeptical about the "two" storms (who wouldn't be the way this winter has gone). Reasons for this is because the first storm which has arrived already looks like it is already to begin breaking up. And from what I understood tonights snows from this first wave was suppose to have the most snow with it, with the second wave arriving after midnight and through thursday was suppose to be the weaker portion. What am I not seeing with these two storms?

It's a complex setup so it's understandable. The first wave (this PM/eve) has more moisture but less dynamics and sliding through mostly S New England. The 2nd wave--or the upper level low now over the Great Lakes, pulls through overnight/early Thurs with less moisture but more dynamics aloft and on a line through New England. One of things that makes this 2nd feature interesting for tonight/Thurs is the interaction with high pressure to our north. The pressure gradient sets up a nice onshore, E to SE flow helping to add to the moisture but mainly for areas from about SVT through NH and ME. I have a slight worry that this upper level low--while strong now--will tend to be weakening as it moves through, not strengthening. I hope I'm wrong but it just one of the things that could keep things in check. I'm just worried the snow gradient may fall off a bit through Maine. We'll see

BenedictGomez

I have a slight worry that this upper level low--while strong now--will tend to be weakening as it moves through, not strengthening. I hope I'm wrong but it just one of the things that could keep things in check. I'm just worried the snow gradient may fall off a bit through Maine. We'll see

There is so dang much snow up north right now that I'd trade this snowfall not happening for the rain coming Friday through Saturday to not happen. I'm worried that sucker could be a "condition killer" if 3/4 inch rain falls and then it gets cold again right away.