• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What age did you start skiing or riding?

dmc

So do Tyrolean_skier and Tirolerpeter know each other?

Tirolean region represent!!!

I love Austria!! I took two trips there...
Need to get back...

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
I've discussed it before I think... started skiing I'm pretty sure at the age of 5, or was it 6... can't remember... never really liked it though, my parents just made me go so I wouldn't sit in the house all winter long, and plus the program through the school got me rental/lift ticket for 15 bucks, which is an insanely good deal... however, started snowboarding at 10 and haven't looked back since...

Paul

I started at about 11 or 12. Joined the Ski Club at my Jr. HS. Used to go to Powder Ridge in Middlefield, CT. At the time it had a whopping 4 trails!! I stopped skiing in HS because I took up Wrestling and, as a winter sport, left no time for anything else. After that I became a winter-hating slacker, and never really bothered to ski again. After I got married, and we had our daughter, I decided that hating Winter was counter-productive, and wanted a family activity. We started with X-C because my wife had tried skiing when she was about 20 and didn't care for it. Her first time was at Loon, and ended-up having a crappy instructor who just took her up the lift and said "see you at the bottom, that'll be $50"
After realizing that X-C is pretty much touch-and-go depending on weather, and that a 4 yr. old can only do so much, we took some lessons at Bretton Woods. We all had a great time. My wife and daughter as first-timers loved it. And myself, after a 20 year hiatus, was really excited to get back into it. Especially with the changes to the equipment, made it much easier on my bad knees and back. :D

noski

Started skiing

Yes, I did ski, the first time when I was 38. The last time I went I was 39. Hence the moniker. But, someone has to work on those powder days so you guys can ski....I could add to the other thread on "when were you most scared". I was more scared for the other people than for myself. You should be glad I quit.

snowsprite

So you don't ski at all anymore? :-? But you're posting here, so you must still want to ski...

Come toward the snowflakes noski! Resist the force of the sun. It's not too late to be saved!
:wink:

Sprite

tirolerpeter

Skiing Age?

No guys...I don't know Tyrolean Skier. I know we had a thread once that asked how we chose our names, but I don't remember how he chose his. Where does Tyrolean Skier live? I live in Smithtown NY on Long Island.

dmc

Re: Skiing Age?

tirolerpeter said:
No guys...I don't know Tyrolean Skier. I know we had a thread once that asked how we chose our names, but I don't remember how he chose his. Where does Tyrolean Skier live? I live in Smithtown NY on Long Island.

I was only joking.. Tirol is a pretty big region..

Long Island... Not so big though..

Geoff

I first skied at age 6 at Cranmore, NH. I have the 8mm home movie of the event. I keep meaning to get it digitized.

Tyrolean_skier

tirolerpeter said:

First of all I am a she not a he. I don't understand why everyone who has not met me automatically assumes I am male. My email account is always cluttered with junk mail for products to enhance the male organ. Should female skiers be called skieresses to avoid confusion?

I chose my name because I was born in the South Tyrol (the part that is Italy). I never learned to ski while I lived there because we were poor. I also live with my family on Long Island. We live in Merrick.

Tirolerpeter, you stated that you lived in a refugee camp in Austria so I am assuming that you were not born there. Where are you originally from?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I started a year and a half ago...January 1, 2004. I was 26 years old. Had a great 1st season, but had to take a break this past season because I was pregnant. Can't wait for this winter!!

Zand

I started when I was 8 at Pine Ridge. The next year, I "graduated" to Ward Hill and Wachusett. Due to financial reasons, I never got further than Wachusett until 3 years ago. Now, I head north over 5 times a year, and that number will incrase over the next few.

tirolerpeter

Tyrolean_skier said:
tirolerpeter said:

First of all I am a she not a he. I don't understand why everyone who has not met me automatically assumes I am male. My email account is always cluttered with junk mail for products to enhance the male organ. Should female skiers be called skieresses to avoid confusion?

I chose my name because I was born in the South Tyrol (the part that is Italy). I never learned to ski while I lived there because we were poor. I also live with my family on Long Island. We live in Merrick.

Tirolerpeter, you stated that you lived in a refugee camp in Austria so I am assuming that you were not born there. Where are you originally from?

Sorry about the gender assumption. I don't care what a skier's gender is as long as they can ski well enough to keep up with me, or as long as I can ski well enough to keep up with them! I was actually born in the camp which was located about 40km west of Innsbruck, although my family (while they are ethnic Germans) lived for over 150 years in what was Yugoslavia, near Belgrad. When WWII ended we were ethnically "purified" by the Serbs and that is how my family ended up in Austria. The Serbs made us one of those "offers you can't refuse." This is a practice that seems to be very popular in the Balkans.

I spoke a dialect of German as a child, but now also speak "Hoch Deutsch" (standard High German) since I taught it for many years in High School. I have traveled throughout northern Italy and was quite comfortable using my German language skills there as many Italians still speak the language of their ancestors who lived in Austria before the region was transferred to Italy at the end of WWI. It was amusing to learn that someone had a first name like "Giuseppe" and a last name like "Schmidt" but that's typical of Europe isn't it? It is a beautiful region, but then I am somewhat partial to MOUNTAINS! BTW, I live in Smithtown on LI and I ski anywhere and everywhere mid-week exclusively, if you are interested in sharing the drive for a daytrip or whatever, PM me and let's discuss it.

Tyrolean_skier

tirolerpeter said:
Tyrolean_skier said:
tirolerpeter said:

Sorry about the gender assumption. I don't care what a skier's gender is as long as they can ski well enough to keep up with me, or as long as I can ski well enough to keep up with them! I was actually born in the camp which was located about 40km west of Innsbruck, although my family (while they are ethnic Germans) lived for over 150 years in what was Yugoslavia, near Belgrad. When WWII ended we were ethnically "purified" by the Serbs and that is how my family ended up in Austria. The Serbs made us one of those "offers you can't refuse." This is a practice that seems to be very popular in the Balkans.

I spoke a dialect of German as a child, but now also speak "Hoch Deutsch" (standard High German) since I taught it for many years in High School. I have traveled throughout northern Italy and was quite comfortable using my German language skills there as many Italians still speak the language of their ancestors who lived in Austria before the region was transferred to Italy at the end of WWI. It was amusing to learn that someone had a first name like "Giuseppe" and a last name like "Schmidt" but that's typical of Europe isn't it? It is a beautiful region, but then I am somewhat partial to MOUNTAINS! BTW, I live in Smithtown on LI and I ski anywhere and everywhere mid-week exclusively, if you are interested in sharing the drive for a daytrip or whatever, PM me and let's discuss it.

My maiden name is not Italian and that is the case for many people from my home town. My father was born Austrian and as you know he became Italian when they changed the borders after WWI. I don't speak any German because we left Italy before I would have learned the language. The kids in that area learn German as a second language and now they also learn English. The dialect spoken in that area is a mix of many languages. I guess this was result of the many times the area got invaded.

As far as meeting up for some skiing, unfortunately for me I tend to only ski on the weekends because I work M-F. The only time I ski during the week is when I am up at Killington or elsewhere during the kids' school vacations. I have a lifetime pass for Killington/Pico so I do not venture to other mountains that often. My husband and I also own a condo up at Killington - another reason for skiing there. I have skied various places other than Killington in the past and will probably do the same in the future. If you ever decide to ski at Killington during the week (if it is a school vacation week), send me a PM and we can try to meet up.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Tyrolean_skier said:

Don't worry Ty, the main thing, if anyone meets you they won't make that mistake. :wink:

Terry

I was 38 when my wife finally convinced me to give skiing a try. That was in 1998, and have been addicted ever since.I have averaged 60 days a year for the last 5 years. Can't wait for Sunday River to open up again!!!!!!!!
:beer:

snowsprite

Severine, this season is going to be great for you because absence only makes the heart grow fonder.
8)
Sprite

severine said:
I started a year and a half ago...January 1, 2004. I was 26 years old. Had a great 1st season, but had to take a break this past season because I was pregnant. Can't wait for this winter!!

Lostone

My email account is always cluttered with junk mail for products to enhance the male organ.

Mine gets mail for penis and breast enlargement. I'm always in awe that it is such a wonderful country where there are choices for everything. :eek:

I don't think it is your email address that tells them what to send. It's a scattershot. They send to everyone whose adresses they can find, on the basis that there's a sucker born every minute.

As long as ther are people dumb enough to buy from these spammers, we'll keep getting this crap. :blink:

Tyrolean_skier

Lostone said:
My email account is always cluttered with junk mail for products to enhance the male organ.

Mine gets mail for penis and breast enlargement. I'm always in awe that it is such a wonderful country where there are choices for everything. :eek:

I don't think it is your email address that tells them what to send. It's a scattershot. They send to everyone whose adresses they can find, on the basis that there's a sucker born every minute.

As long as ther are people dumb enough to buy from these spammers, we'll keep getting this crap. :blink:

I get so many in that account, that I now automatically delete them without even opening the Junk folder to see what is in there.