• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What new places will ya hit this year 2012-2013?

jaytrem

East- Loon Mountain

West- Lake Tahoe (Heavenly, Kirkwood & Northstar)

I had a great day at Northstar a couple years ago, went over to that Lookout/Martis area and is was pretty much deserted. The required surface lift exit might scare people away. It's got some good pitch compared to the rest of the place. We were still getting untracked stuff until the end of the day. Northstar is also less windy than a lot of other Tahoe places, so if it looks like one of your days will be windy that would be a good day for Northstar. We were actually planning on Mt Rose that day but they were closed due to the wind.

dmc

Northstar is the place to be when it's windy for sure..

Huck_It_Baby

I'm also booked for Jackson Hole, United is flying direct from Newark this year. The flights are only on Saturdays though. I decided to be greedy and add a day, so I only get one direct flight, but I only had to use 25,000 miles that way. The rental SUV is also under $300 for a week, just over with the extra day. Once I saw that I jumped on it and booked the flight home for 12,500 miles. Figured worst case I'd have to spend 25,000 to get out there, later decided to go out a day early. Not direct, but less miles, only get in 30 minutes later, and adds Pine Creek to the trip. So new to me out there will be everything...

Good choice! You won't be disappointed!

Philpug

I had a great day at Northstar a couple years ago, went over to that Lookout/Martis area and is was pretty much deserted. The required surface lift exit might scare people away. It's got some good pitch compared to the rest of the place. We were still getting untracked stuff until the end of the day. Northstar is also less windy than a lot of other Tahoe places, so if it looks like one of your days will be windy that would be a good day for Northstar. We were actually planning on Mt Rose that day but they were closed due to the wind.

Usually the case. Northstar trees are great on a powder day when all other mountains are closed due to wind.

WoodCore

Will be hitting up Alyeska for the first time in March 2013.

Cornhead

I'd like to hit Cannon this year, but I'm planning a trip to New Mexico in February, so my traveling on the EC will probably be limited. I do have a Whiteface voucher I need to use, been there many times. I don't know if I'll try anywhere new in NM. I will be skiing Taos for sure, been there a few times. Probably Santa Fe too. Hope it's a snowy year for them, it was last time I was there, several years ago, it was awesome.

Maybe I'll try to legitimately attend the AZ Summit this year, had a great time last year, thanks Nick, and BackLoafRiver. It'd be fun to hit Saddleback again if I do, there wasn't a ton open there last year when I was there. Maybe I'll take some time off and hit Cannon either before or after the Summit. It's on the way, more or less. Sugarloaf is a looong way from home for me...$$$$. I hope gas prices drop by then. I paid $4.24 / gallon for premium last week...ouch.

Anklebiter

I believe last year they had a multi day, ,multi mountain pass for heavenly, kirkwood and northstar (6 days, $299). If that's true I hope they have something similar this season. I think we sure heading out in early March.

Skimaine

I do not leave Maine as often as I would like, but I would like to get to Loon, Le Massive and Big Sky.

jaytrem

I believe last year they had a multi day, ,multi mountain pass for heavenly, kirkwood and northstar (6 days, $299). If that's true I hope they have something similar this season. I think we sure heading out in early March.

There's also this Tahoe 6-pack for $299, forced variety....

http://www.skilaketahoe.com/lake-tahoe-six-pack-ticket-2012-13-season

A few years ago it would sell out pretty quick, the last couple not as fast. Maybe due to lower pass prices?

I should post that in the 2012-2013 thread, it's been dead recently.

JimG.

Staff member
This is gonna sound funny...

Whiteface.

I've lived in NY all my life, I've been skiing since I was 4, I've skied all over the world and the US, and I've never been to Whiteface.

And I have no real idea why.

Paul_M

Snow King (currently in forest fire danger)
Jackson Hole
Pine Creek
Pebble Creek
Pomerelle
Sun Valley
Rotarun
Magic Moutain
Kelly Canyon
Grand Targhee

Rotarun ?????? Really ?????

You left Soldier Mtn off that list. I'd pare it down to Jackson and GT, myself and Pine Creek since you went out of the way to ski it. SV is "nice" but JH and GT are pretty stiff competition.

vdk03

Steamboat and Wolfcreek are a definite for me this year. I also have high hopes that I will get to Tahoe this year and cross Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood off of the list.

jaytrem

Rotarun ?????? Really ?????

You left Soldier Mtn off that list. I'd pare it down to Jackson and GT, myself and Pine Creek since you went out of the way to ski it. SV is "nice" but JH and GT are pretty stiff competition.

Rotarun would just be night skiing after Sun Valley, even I admit it that one might be tough to occupy the whole day.

I've already been to Soldier, had a great day, we basically had the whole place to ourselves. Not to mention one of the best deals on lunch ever (thank you Bruce Willis).

I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy JH and GT, but what I really love is the nearly empty out of the way type places. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.