• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to rent?

L

larkin

Hi folks. Nice place you've got here!
I haven't been skiing in probably 20 years. My teenage sons are both members of their school ski clubs and have their own equipment. In a couple of weeks I'm taking them for a ski weekend at a resort in nearby PA. They've just about got me talked into joining them on the slopes. I'm wondering, is it better to rent equipment at the resort, or from a local ski shop? I'm in decent physical condition, and if I ski, I DO intend to take a lesson or two. Any other advice for someone (possibly) returning to the sport after a long layoff would be appreciated. Maybe I'll stick to the tube park! :lol:

B

beswift

To answer your question, you are going to pay less if you rent at a shop that isn't at the slopes. The further away from the mountain, the less you will pay. Now, if you actually have already skied, it shouldn't be that hard for you to get back into the sport. When I was in my twenties, I didn't downhill ski for ten years or so and got right back into it. If you are atheletic and in shape, you should be skiing at your former skill level in no time. Now, if you expect to do a fair bit of skiing (and I'm sure you want to keep up with your sons), I suggest that you buy a pair of boots as soon as you can. It is not a bad time to buy as the shops are discounting, and they haven't really had such a bang-up season. You will enjoy it more if you have a good fitting boot.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
you are going to pay less if you rent at a shop that isn't at the slopes.
:shock;

i haven't rented in a long long time, but i would have thought that ski areas would offer package deals that would make rentals not so expensive, especially if combined with a lesson?

regardless of price, i think the one stop aspect of renting skis at a ski area is a great convenience and should be factored into the exact cost. i have rented demo skis from off mountain shops and never appreciate having to make the extra stop both in the morning and evening.

i'd recommend calling around. every ski area will have different pricing structures and what may be true for one area may not be true for the next. enjoy!

B

beswift

RivercOil, once you arrive at the Mountain you are a captive audience so to speak. I worked ski shops both in the city and off-mountain. People who rent there (with some foresight and planning) will always do better than those who wait until the last minute to rent. When was the last time you bought a cup of coffee in the lodge? On that subject, I didn't mind paying $2.25 for a cup at K-1 because it was good coffee.

hammer

IMO the quality of the equipment and the convenience of getting and returning rentals is more important than the few bucks you may save going one way or the other. It was the convenience of having my own equipment that drove me to the local ski shop late last season to get my first set of skis.

My wife is still renting equipment, and unless we are going to two local ski areas that we know have good rental areas and equipment, we're considering going to a local shop to get rentals the day before.

Yes, this will mean extra time spent at a local ski shop, but if my wife can get out on the slopes at the same time as the rest of the family then that will be time well spent.

awf170

Another idea is if you plan on going skiing more than a few times then just rent for the reason because it ends up being cheaper.

ctenidae

If you're just going in for a coupledays, I'd say rent at the resort- package deal and all is probably goin to treat you well. Be careful though- I didn't ski for 18 years, and my wife took a break of 7 or 8, we went out skiing one night, and bought new skis and boots the next day.