• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which skis to bring to Utah?

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I was in Utah two weekends ago, and I skied what I have skied 90% of the time in the East this year - Voikl Mantras! I loved them there, and I loved them today with 10" on new snow! Really hard packed? I would chose something else! However of the 60 days so far this year, 90% are on the Mantras and 10% are on the Head Super Shape which I love in the Nastar course.

koreshot

You just have to seek out the north/east facing slopes that don't get the afternoon sun and ski those in the mornings...then follow the sun.....as the day progresses.

Wow! Is that how it works? All these years I was traveling all over the place and skiing the wrong way! This changes everything! :roll:

I understand how exposure to the sun works, how much damage it can do to the snow and where to ski when to avoid these types of conditions. But you can't really do that when you are cat skiing - the run is the run - sometimes you have to skis some crap to get to the good stuff. I was just trying to demonstrate that real ice does happen out west and can even happens naturally, on ungroomed and rarely/never skied runs and sometimes there is nothing within reason you can do to avoid it.

Furthermore, unavoidable hardpack and ice conditions can occur at regular resorts - example JHMR. Although these types of conditions are much more rare at the SLC resorts where the snow is more dependable and the exposure to the sun much lower.

Trust me, I am not skinny ski fan - actually I avoid them whenever possible - just check out the quiver pictures thread. I usually go out west with a ski that is 100mm under foot and suffer through the icy parts.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Wow! Is that how it works? All these years I was traveling all over the place and skiing the wrong way! This changes everything! :roll:

I understand how exposure to the sun works, how much damage it can do to the snow and where to ski when to avoid these types of conditions. But you can't really do that when you are cat skiing - the run is the run - sometimes you have to skis some crap to get to the good stuff. I was just trying to demonstrate that real ice does happen out west and can even happens naturally, on ungroomed and rarely/never skied runs and sometimes there is nothing within reason you can do to avoid it.

Furthermore, unavoidable hardpack and ice conditions can occur at regular resorts - example JHMR. Although these types of conditions are much more rare at the SLC resorts where the snow is more dependable and the exposure to the sun much lower.

Trust me, I am not skinny ski fan - actually I avoid them whenever possible - just check out the quiver pictures thread. I usually go out west with a ski that is 100mm under foot and suffer through the icy parts.

No doubt, I agree, Strangelove.....I never said otherwise. :)

dmc

Bringing my Ride Concept TMS 162 .... Also bringing my splitboard out...

kingslug

I'm taking my Rossi B2's with me to Snowbird. Not narrow but not as wide as the Mantras. If they don't work out I'll rent or demo. No worries!

I skied those at JH last year and they worked fine in all conditions including the icy runouts. The new B83 are even better. The Bird gets hardpack and skied out a lot faster than Alta. I had a lot easier time on the 83's than I did at Alta where something on the order of a Pontoon or Spatula would have (and did) work better. Just don't try them on hardpack. Most of the people I skied with in Utah had several different pairs in their car.